Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    There is an art to architecture. True to form, those who practice the full art will inevitably create better drawings, and structures.

The freedom to draw in 2D, whether by hand or computer, makes it so your design is not limited by the CAD tool. I could never start with a 3D design and expect to model fast enough for my creativity to flow through that process – except in mass modeling with something like sketchup. We are taught that in school, and we appreciate the artistic/creative form to our profession and seek tools to match.

Attached is a project I did, and you can see the example of the 2d hand drawings which inspire the 3d modeling. I think the end result was better in the model, since I was able to quickly assess the changes I wanted to make. If I started with the model, my laziness would have probably prevented me from going back and changing it all... =)
    Johnny,

I understand what you are saying. I too begin with a basic concept in my mind and I flesh it out- one line at a time. It is within that process that the creativity comes out and begins to show itself. Then, the 3D model is created and the form is finalized.

I can relate because I still design in 2D. Trying to create a design with 3D "objects" just doesn't work real well for me. It is an entirely different way of thinking that I still can't grasp. I guess what I am saying is there are different ways of approaching anything, as we all know, and this is a classic example. Plus, I too would like to know how to better do the lineweight control where needed without creating yet more layers, annosets, etc.
    Gary
    X5, Softplan2014, Autocad, Revit LT
    www.mckeondesign.com