Thread: Realistic Grass

Realistic Grass

Hey all, so I'm still fairly new to Chief and have been trying to figure out how to do realistic grass where it is taller than the driveway and landscape beds. I've only been able to get it where the driveway and sidewalk sit on top of the ground plane. I've seen different renderings online and have looked for tutorials but can't seem to find any. I've attached a photo of what I'm looking to achieve. Any advice on how to get there would be awesome!

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grass with texture.JPG 
Views:	844 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	54887  

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    You and me both.

From what I have seen, there are a few rendering engines that can do this fairly effectively.

I don't remember the name of the rendering program, but I saw it on a blender video a while back. Not all that impressed with the engine itself, but the grass looked good.

I have seen some good work done using 3D Max, but there again it is an expensive program and takes considerable skill and experience to operate effectivly.

My personal favorite is Octane Render, and in particular it's newly implemented instancing feature. This in general means that one blade of grass or a leaf, even though complex geometry, can be copied or instanced just like a Block instance in programs like AutoCAD with relatively little file storage overhead.

There again you would need programs that work with Octane, and Octane itself as well. Another complicating factor is that Chief does not directly support Octane's file types currently. Very cool stuff, but very new technologies requiring some pretty decent technical skills.

From what I understand, Chief does support instancing in X5, but I am not sure exactly what that means. Other than that I have seen some impressive work done with programs such as PhotoShop for touching up the rendered images.

If you find anything that is simpler and still provides good quality please provide an update.
    Last edited by rcole; 09-06-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

Rendering Techniques

The X5 rendering engine does not currently implement instancing as mentioned by Rod, this is a technology used most commonly by Renderman compliant rendering engines.

The best you can do with other types is to find a texture that creates a more realistic effect and sometimes combine it with a bump/normal map to enhance it.

The texture used in this image is attached here.

Hope this is helpful,
    Kirk Clemons
    Technical Support Analyst | Chief Architect® Technical Support Department

Professionals: chiefarchitect.com | DIY: homedesignersoftware.com

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    Sorry for the incorrect info I provided earlier. I thought I had seen it mentioned somewhere, but that is obviously not correct.

Thanks for the texture Kirk. I will have to give that a try. Any particular bump/normal map you could recommend?

Edit: Kirk, thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I used to use FastCAD 3D in the early 90's before I bought Chief. Renderman came bundeled with FastCAD and I used to call the techs at Pixar before they got famous. Again, thanks for the link.
    Last edited by rcole; 09-07-2012 at 05:51 AM.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

Here is a idea and i have used it take a photo of big lawn or grassed area do your raytrace in chief with standard grass then open image in image editor like paint shop pro , photoshop or others make selection of grass in image then then paint on photo grass on top of chiefs grass can look ok
    Mark Brehaut , Manager
    3D Virtual House Architectural Visualization
    Chief X5
    cinema 4d 14
    Vray for cimema 4d

Typically a normal map created from the texture itself gives best results. In the texture I attached earlier there is a bump map already applied. Feel free to have a look.

BTW Rod: I didn't mean to imply that you were incorrect just that you had already mentioned Chief doesn't use instancing.
    Kirk Clemons
    Technical Support Analyst | Chief Architect® Technical Support Department

Professionals: chiefarchitect.com | DIY: homedesignersoftware.com

Thanks for the ideas and the material! I'll have to give them a try and see what I can find works best.

Hi,

This is an instanced grass render. Done in Chief and rendered in Kerkythea.
    KT is free too.

Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thick Grass Instancing.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	54934  

Quote Originally Posted by POLARA500 View Post
    Hi,

This is an instanced grass render. Done in Chief and rendered in Kerkythea.
    KT is free too.

Richard
    Wow, that grass looks nice!
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Question

Robert, where did you get that texture and if you can, how did you get the effect in ray trace?

Thanks Luke

Luke,

I'm not sure if you're asking me or not
    but I don't any Robert in this thread.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by POLARA500 View Post
    Luke,

.....but I don't any Robert in this thread.

Richard
    We don't have a Wobert Sir

Centuwion, do we have anyone in our Pwisons at all ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chief Bug Fix Department

Rod
    Chief Ver X1

(Smilies collection from the brilliant creative members of Deviantart and Freethought)