Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    Absolutely but a user should NOT have to mess with material properties to get a decent RT!!! [/rant].....................
    Agree, so the question is should we use GENERAL MATERIAL or MATTE MATERIAL for the typical exterior finish, which of course is what we are talking about. I don't know, but based on what I have experimented with, the GENERAL MATERIAL with an emissivity added, may give us more flexibility.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Just move the sun, luke
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Got it, so 80% ambient light on the outside, I wonder how that effects the RENDER VIEW for editing purposes... what I am referring to is, as I edit a model I typically use RENDER MODE, so would the 80% setting work for me as I edit the model, I don't know yet.
    Experiment with that setting in Render mode and adjust to taste. Typically 80% is way too high for me on my system. Also play with the interior ambient and also adjust to taste. It's super powerful and I just discovered it.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Way too many people to thank on this thread, to be sure, but let me start with thanking Scott, first. We exchanged emails and I'm appreciative of his efforts in the two videos he posted perviously in thread. Those not only answered questions, they generated many more as it concerns materials, reflectivity, best settings for Ray Trace and many more.

Those are all valuable things for all to know, as the Ray Trace images for many on here, I assume, are an important part of their use of the program, for clients, etc... That may be worth a new thread on the topic, as I for one had paid little attention to this. The "crappy plan" I submitted, was driving me so crazy, I deleted it and started over. The interesting part is that none of earlier issues were encountered. No idea why??

The materials I select, are right out of the core catelog, typically, and I have never "bothered" to even look at their settings (Matte versus General for example). That is something I will start to look at. As for the settings Scott was changing, I also had never bothered to change those as I really had no idea what to change to, thus assumed they must be fine "out of the box". Evidently that is not the case.

Scott, one thing you changed between Video 1 and 2 where earlier very dark Traces were out concerned the Intensity Min and Max. In the first video, you consitently changed Min to 0.1 and Max to 1.0 but in video 2 you consistently (at least early on) changed Max to 10.0. That might have been the difference? Not sure.

The other thing that I have read, or seen in videos is the "quality" of the materials / textures, and as one who just takes what is in the core or bonus, have never had, nor tried, the better ones. Scott, you mentioned the grass was lousy. I agree, but no idea what better sources there might be for the better weed, so to speak. Perhaps in California the market is better given proximity to the border.

So where are these available? Anyone?

This thread has made me aware of many things, first and foremost is to post a picture or plan file as people do not read minds well. Check.

The other is the importance of these settings. There is much information out there about how to build about anything in CA, but not as much on the less talked about settings that abound in this program, and what, exactly, they all do, or impacts they have. Why a 35 rather than a 45? Why is 6 better than 10? Why camera view settings is a radio box, and what it's there for?

Once again, thanks to all on this thread for your contribution, and I for one have learned a great deal from all the suggestions, and pointers.
    Chief Architect X4, X5
    Thea Render Rookie
    ASUS K53SV / Win 7 x64
    Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00 Ghz
    NVIDIA GeForceŽ GT 540M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    8 Gb DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM

Universe, Milky Way Galaxy, "Sun" Solar System, 22556

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Agree, so the question is should we use GENERAL MATERIAL or MATTE MATERIAL for the typical exterior finish, which of course is what we are talking about. I don't know, but based on what I have experimented with, the GENERAL MATERIAL with an emissivity added, may give us more flexibility.
    I think the flexibility added with general materials is a great added bonus but a PIA to change mat. setting all the time.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Another side note it's WAY easier to adjust the sun/angle from here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun 1.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	54821

Than adding a North pointer and the sun angle - though not as accurate for your area - very quick to just change the sun and shadows around.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

All you guys had to do was to MOVE the SUN into the correct position. I don't know why all this goes on?.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by keithhe View Post
    Why is 6 better than 10? .
    Gotta run but wanted to suggest that 6 is not better than 10 in that AO box.

10 is a higher maximum value and will be brighter than 6 and that may work OK. If not lower it to 9,8,7,6,5... until it looks good to you.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

this is another example of why there should be a setting where the
    sun angle equals the camera angle

when trying to get basic renders we shouldn't have to "fuss" with
    the sun settings

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    this is another example of why there should be a setting where the
    sun angle equals the camera angle

when trying to get basic renders we shouldn't have to "fuss" with
    the sun settings

Lew
    That would be great Lew, then we wouldn't have these kinds of questions. This is just like taking a photo. First thing, where's the sun. I always just move the sun into the view to get any kind of lighting.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

then we wouldn't have these kinds of questions.

Perry:

agreed

I first had this question when I started with ver 9.5
    that was 7 versions ago

since then I have seen many, many, many others have the same issues

its time that CA address this annoyance ....

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by keithhe View Post
    ..................In the first video, you consitently changed Min to 0.1 and Max to 1.0 but in video 2 you consistently (at least early on) changed Max to 10.0. That might have been the difference? Not sure.

Dog gone it, sorry about that, attached is a jpeg of my RT setting's, I am not sure if these are perfect, but they are what I use. I have also attached a plan of what I like to use for my grass, and I believe this material came from one of Val's plan's, it is a very nice alternative to the CA default grass material.

Nuts, I could not attached a plan of the GOOD GRASS TEXTURE.............. I don't know why it is but I stripped everything out of it and I could not get it below the 2MEG max. Maybe I can figure it out later or maybe Val can post it, I am almost sure it is is Val's grass texture and it is really nice, thanks Val.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keith rt settings.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	54822  
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Hey Keith, try the attached file for grass, I think I got it down to the right size now. It is a nice grass texture.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I thought the issue we were addressing was the dark shadows and dark renders - that we fixed without changing the sun at all. How would changing the sun angle change the color/depth of the shadows? It would change the angle and time of day but the ambient light/shadows too is either controlled by the 3D dbx or the Ambient Occlusion setting - isn't it?

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    I thought the issue we were addressing was the dark shadows and dark renders - that we fixed without changing the sun at all. How would changing the sun angle change the color/depth of the shadows? It would change the angle and time of day but the ambient light/shadows too is either controlled by the 3D dbx or the Ambient Occlusion setting - isn't it?
    Agree, and I think there are at least two ways of doing this..............
    1- my way which involved changing the textures from matte to general materials.
    2. your way, changing from use or not to use USE CAMERA VIEW SETTINGS (applying to raytraces, I do not believe this effects render views)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX