Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    The best information I have found to date on color schemes has come from books on oil painting. In particular books on adapting the science of color and light from oil painting to computer graphics.

One book that is popular among CG movie makers is Color and Light, a Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney. I am not a big fan of the actual color schemes used in this book. But, the explanation of how to use color and light, and in particular what is refered to as Gamut Mapping is very helpful for CG artists and color schemes in general. Once I saw how they set up the color schemes, then I could see it everywhere in magazine spreads and movie scenes.

I have other books on color that have much more attractive colors than the CG book. My favorite is loaned out right now or I would provide the info for you. I am finding that my customers are choosing colors that they like when I provide them with a good starting point, and then use the Gamut principles to provide the proper accents.

I agree with the previous comments on the pitfalls of using computer programs to depict colors on a monitor. I am finding that X5 is making the process better so long as I get the lighting set up fairly close to start with, and that can be a challenge, espectially when working directly with customers.
    Last edited by rcole; 08-31-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    I've started telling people right off the bat that they may love or hate the first designs, either way its fine, its just somewhere to start. This way they they don't feel bad telling me, and they aren't shocked if it looks terrible to them. When you're not sure where to start, even a totally bad design can get the ball rolling in the right direction.
    That's my attitude exactly but never thought that it gave them permission to be more honest, but I think that's true.

Here's the color scheme I've settled on for now. Neutral as I can stand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Designer Colors 1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	54762
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Lin is offline Registered User Promoted
    Larry -- the color scheme you chose looks good.

It's always tricky, I find, balancing the photo-real look of a raytrace and real life. Because I do Interiors, I'm always careful to keep them somewhat generic. I especially run into difficulties with upholstered furniture. Typically, I leave them white, or nearly white.

One thing that I do is use Excel to create finishes and furnishings pages (love the drag and drop), rather than try to achieve them in the actual plan. I would love to load them into the Layout pages, but they don't have the photo editing features I like having that are in Excel.

Hi Larry;

The process actually starts with the first interview, which really needs to be in person. Take a quick look around at the style and color pallet of the home as it is existing. During the visit, we run through a list of lifestyle issues, along with the standard stuff like preferences for appliances, cabinetry, counter tops, floor coverings, etc. (they usually will be like a deer in the headlights at this point, but by starting the thinking process, it gets them involved). We'll get a general picture from which to start the preliminary design and cost. Let them know that while we're starting at our end, they need to fill out an evaluation/planning guideline form, AND go to the bookstore or grocery and pick up some magazines that appeal to their style - start a file of the pictures that they like. These are the best indicator of the color pallet and design style that we head in the direction of as the design process goes forward.

We start a preliminary design, very minimal, along with the proposal for an approximate cost, to see if the budget will tolerate it (no point in designing a $120K kitchen on a $40K budget). By now they've focused more on the style and options that they may want, and we can start coming to a common ground on style and budget. Once the budget is decided, we can get into the actual design agreement, with necessary deposits.

As we proceed with the design and color renderings are presented, we make it clear that the final color choices will come about as they visit the showrooms to see the actual materials and colors of the cabinetry, counter tops, tile, floor coverings, etc.. Bring samples back to see how they work in the lighting of the home environment, not the showroom.

This approach has worked for us for many years, and helps to streamline the design process so that we can get into the contract for construction.
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

George,

As you know pretty much all kitchen Dealers with showrooms provide free design. How are you able to get your fees when they can usually get a design for free? OR are things diffrent in your area? Unless of course you are doing kitchens where there is structural changes, walls being moved etc.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Hi Dennis;

We're Design/Build, so clients who are interested in a kitchen remodel, will call us for the whole package, if they haven't yet retained a designer or architect, and for the construction only if they have (makes no matter to me, so long as they know that changes will all have to be run through their architect or designer, and we'll just build it). We've actually had clients who got some of the "free" designs, and then contacted us to do the remodel, but when I give them some "outside the box" ideas, they will pay me to re-design it. As an engineering contractor, and a CPBD as well, the structural limitations can go away in most cases.
    Phoenix Construction
    Contr. Lic. #268157

-Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

George,

Glad it's working for you. The only time I can get someone to pay for kitchen design is when walls are being moved as regular shops can't handle that. Right now I can't get anyone to pay for anything! ;o(
    Oh well, there's always tmorrow......

Happy Labor Day!
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

As a CKBR Dennis, presenting yourself as Certified is a notch up, and should be capitalized on. It's a door opener to the fact that you, being that qualified, and having an in-depth, hands on field of experience, are also qualified to suggest ideas and options that make a kitchen or bath remodel something that's beyond what a designer might have in mind. This background is no less than college degrees, and is worth compensation for your time. Don't give anything away, but parse out little "hooks" that peak the clients interest.

I recently had a client who had an architect design the kitchen, but when we bid it, it went way over budget. I proposed some budget cutting ideas, and a few design changes, and they actually paid me to re-design, and draw the new layout. It got featured in the Trends Ideas magazine (http://trendsideas.com/Article15155/UnitedStates).

Things have been slow here in the great state of California, thanks to our re-tread governer, but things are bound to head up sometime.

Happy Labor Day to you as well, and to all who toil.
    Last edited by PhoenixConstruction; 09-03-2012 at 07:37 AM.
    Phoenix Construction
    Contr. Lic. #268157

-Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

During the design phase I show whites and neutral colors.
    I don't want to derail a discussion about the larger issues of the design with a discussion about someone favorite or most hated color. Color comes in later.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

I tell my clients, I'm not a decorator and if they want that kind of help go see one. I concentrate on the structure that way. I just don't like having to please peoples color fetish's. Too much trouble and time wasted on that.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor