Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Dave View Post
    Joe, I understand your point as it relates here, and in the suggestion. However, I hope that in the long run, CA is willing to break out of some of their construct conventions that have dead ends.
    I totally agree with that. Some of those will be harder than others do to the foundation on which Chief was built.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

No bug here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall - invi.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	54698  
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefer View Post
    No bug here.
    Jintu, wrong camera. Try the Wall elevation. Common mistake.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

ah you are right, nothing is shown but the cabinet label.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall - invi.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	54699  
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5

Yep, but it just goes to show that the logic exists in Chief already. In fact, the Wall Elevations would work just fine if they looked for "Opaque Wall" limits instead of "Room Limits".

ps: It mostly works correctly in X4 - you can see thru the "Invisible" walls. Not only that, but "Wall Elevation" works correctly even if the elevation spans 2 rooms separated by an Invisible Wall. Auto Wall Elevations has some additional limitations even in X4.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 08-30-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

I've been thinking about this in a little more detail and I have to say that sometimes I want the Auto Wall Elevations to work just as they do now.

Example: I have a Large Space that consists of a Living Area, Dining Area & a Kitchen with an Island. I have these defined as 3 Rooms by means of "Invisible Walls". When I do the Auto Room Wall Elevations I want 4 (or more) elevations of each room. In some cases I might want a single long Elevation combining 2 spaces but I can do that with the Individual Wall Elevation Tool.

So, I'm thinking at this point that maybe I just want X5 to perform like X4 as regards "Invisible Walls". I can just delete those Views that are redundant or superfluous.
    Windows 8.1

Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted
    And it would be great if it got fixed by tomorrow I'm now working on a house with major material shifts and this limitation of not being able to shoot through invisible walls is one huge pain in the kiester when it comes to creating room/wall elevations.

The beauty of this room elevation thing is that we can click on a room, click on room elevation cameras and the program automatically points cameras at each wall. I find that I can highlight all 4 at once, click, send to layout and it puts all 4 walls onto layout.

This is amazingly useful for pointing out tile areas with sq included for ordering and for other interior design uses as well as other custom designs.

So, in your view, it was a bug in the program up until X5?

Yes, but it made it do what we see in real world.

"No room def" usually defeats the whole purpose of using an invisible wall in the first place, at least in the case of changing surfaces.

I agree fully.

I usually dont use wall elev cameras much as I tend to use cross sections
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

I'm curious. Why do all of you posters that say you rarely or never use the Wall Elevation Camera use the cross section camera instead? Don't you have to crop or mask every interior elevation? That seems like a lot of work to me.

Dorothy
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

I do use the Wall Elevation Cameras. But at least in X4 we were able to use the "Single Wall Elevation Camera" for those cases where we had to span 2 rooms separated by an "Invisible Wall". X5 has gotten that messed up.
    Windows 8.1

Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted
    @ Dorothy, yes, some had said they use cross section instead of elevation...I wondered the same thing, sort of hard to crop as neatly if you're shooting 4 walls in many rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by dhowardaia View Post
    I'm curious. Why do all of you posters that say you rarely or never use the Wall Elevation Camera use the cross section camera instead? Don't you have to crop or mask every interior elevation? That seems like a lot of work to me.

Dorothy
    I mask, takes 10 seconds, already have masks set up, cameras set up, very versatile,
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Wall elevations were changed in X5.

In X4 and prior, wall elevations ignored any invisible walls. In X5, they don't so they are always limited to the room they are in. This was done because we had multiple reports from people asking us to make it work this way.

If you don't like the way it works in X5, then you need to report this to tech support so that we can look into this further. As far as I can tell, no one has reported this as a problem yet. Please remember that discussing issues on Chieftalk is not the same as reporting bugs to us. We do not monitor this forum for bugs.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

I like the way it works now--no change for me.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    Wall elevations were changed in X5.

In X4 and prior, wall elevations ignored any invisible walls. In X5, they don't so they are always limited to the room they are in. This was done because we had multiple reports from people asking us to make it work this way.

If you don't like the way it works in X5, then you need to report this to tech support so that we can look into this further. As far as I can tell, no one has reported this as a problem yet. Please remember that discussing issues on Chieftalk is not the same as reporting bugs to us. We do not monitor this forum for bugs.
    I believe Dorothy said she was going to submit this, Dorothy, did you report this? That being said, I am not sure what the reason would be for anybody to have a problem with the way it worked in X4. Can anybody give us a reason why they would want CA to work the new way?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall