Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Wall elevation camera bug in X5?

Wall elevation camera sees through invisible walls in X3 and X4, but not in X5.

If not a bug, then what changed to require this new behavior from the camera?

Re: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=60363
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

Current Version: X5
    System
    Win-7 64 bit
    Intel i7 930 (2.8 ghz x 4)
    Nvidia gtx 260 (1 gb ram)
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Dave,

Your statement is incorrect.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Dave,

Your statement is incorrect.
    Joe, what specifically?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	54680  
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

I think I agree w/ Dave. Weird that the cabt label shows in X5, but nothing else (this is the All On Layerset)

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invis. wall X5 .jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	54681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Invis. wall .jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	54682  
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

I'm going to SB this

D
    Dorothy Howard AIA
    Architect
    Coronado, CA
    dhowardaia.com

X4 64-bit

Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted
    Yes, please do, Wall Elevation Cameras are useless in places where they would be most advantageous like, rooms that have multiple areas cordoned-off areas to define varying materials.

I find the same thing to be true, however, when I posted this issue, many had mistaken the wall and room elevation with cross section elevation. Room elevations and as far as I can tell wall elevations do not see through invisible walls or transparent walls, Cross sections do.
    Thanks, zowie

In X4, the Wall Elevation camera will also go through Attic Walls. Has anyone tried using an Attic Wall type, or invisible Attic Wall, in X5, for the room divider?
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac View Post
    In X4, the Wall Elevation camera will also go through Attic Walls. Has anyone tried using an Attic Wall type, or invisible Attic Wall, in X5, for the room divider?
    Cliff, makes no difference in X5.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

with the addition of the invisible wall Chief is making it 2 rooms so you are in fact doing a wall elevation of an invisible wall.
    You need to make the invisible wall no room def, then you are back to 1 room.
    This IMHO is not a bug but correct interpretation following CA conventions.
    Graeme Taylor

currently loaded X3.1 & X4.2-64 bit & X5 64 bit
    also used v7 to x12
    AMD Phenom 2 black 980 3.7 GHz quad core
    8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GEForce GTX560 1024Mb graphics
    win 7 -64 bit
    2 x 24 inch monitors

Just to Clarify what Chief Architect does as it uses it's basic "Classes of Objects"

1. Chief requires Walls to enclose and define "Rooms".
    2. Chief uses the Room as a way of defining the Floor and Ceiling Structure and Finishes. The Room is also the Object that defines the heights.
    3. Chief allows the Walls to be defined of various layers of materials.
    4. Chief allows the Walls to have openings (Doors and Windows and Pass-Thrus)
    4. Chief stores a lot of other parameters with walls to define the structure (Roof, Foundation, etc)

Basically without Rooms there is no structure and without Walls there are no Rooms. You can call these things anything you want but they are the basic building blocks of a Chief Plan/Model.

If you want the program to behave differently - such as see-thru walls - then it would be best to make the request within the basics of how Chief is programmed rather than looking for a totally different concept.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Zowie is offline Registered User Promoted
    I'm lost, are we in agreement that room elevation cameras should or shouldn't shoot through invisible walls?

I believe wall elevation cameras are only useful if they can shoot through invisible walls. Invisible walls are used to separate fl heights, floor materials and divide open room areas.

Without being able to shoot through invisible walls, room wall elevation cameras cuts off parts of a room because one part of the floor is defined differently than another--useless.

Where invisible walls are used to separate large open spaces into different rooms, being allowed to shoot through them simply means I will get a wall elevation of both areas which can more easily be rectified by cropping in layout.

So being able to shoot through invisible walls works in all situations, where as not being able to shoot through invisible walls screws us out of true wall elevations when a room has a divided floor material.

Zowie:

I agree....

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I'm lost, are we in agreement that room elevation cameras should or shouldn't shoot through invisible walls?
    IMO - YES

I believe wall elevation cameras are only useful if they can shoot through invisible walls. Invisible walls are used to separate fl heights, floor materials and divide open room areas.
    I agree

Without being able to shoot through invisible walls, room wall elevation cameras cuts off parts of a room because one part of the floor is defined differently than another--useless.
    You're right and it shouldn't be that way

Where invisible walls are used to separate large open spaces into different rooms, being allowed to shoot through them simply means I will get a wall elevation of both areas which can more easily be rectified by cropping in layout.
    Again, I agree

So being able to shoot through invisible walls works in all situations, where as not being able to shoot through invisible walls screws us out of true wall elevations when a room has a divided floor material.
    Again, I agree

Basically, this whole thing could be resolved if the Wall Elevation Camera simply ignored Invisible Walls and treated such adjacent Rooms as a Single Room.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by kiwideziner View Post
    with the addition of the invisible wall Chief is making it 2 rooms so you are in fact doing a wall elevation of an invisible wall.
    You need to make the invisible wall no room def, then you are back to 1 room.
    This IMHO is not a bug but correct interpretation following CA conventions.
    So, in your view, it was a bug in the program up until X5?

Chief is indeed making it 2 rooms, but in the real building, it is only 1.

For the reasons listed by Zowie's post, an invisible wall should be invisible to a camera, period. If the user wants a wall to be visible to the camera, then it wouldn't be invisible.

"No room def" usually defeats the whole purpose of using an invisible wall in the first place, at least in the case of changing surfaces.

The point is that in the "real" building, you would see what was behind the invisible wall because there is actually nothing there. The camera should reflect reality.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Just to Clarify what Chief Architect does as it uses it's basic "Classes of Objects"

1. Chief requires Walls to enclose and define "Rooms".
    2. Chief uses the Room as a way of defining the Floor and Ceiling Structure and Finishes. The Room is also the Object that defines the heights.
    3. Chief allows the Walls to be defined of various layers of materials.
    4. Chief allows the Walls to have openings (Doors and Windows and Pass-Thrus)
    4. Chief stores a lot of other parameters with walls to define the structure (Roof, Foundation, etc)

Basically without Rooms there is no structure and without Walls there are no Rooms. You can call these things anything you want but they are the basic building blocks of a Chief Plan/Model.

If you want the program to behave differently - such as see-thru walls - then it would be best to make the request within the basics of how Chief is programmed rather than looking for a totally different concept.
    Joe, I understand your point as it relates here, and in the suggestion. However, I hope that in the long run, CA is willing to break out of some of their construct conventions that have dead ends and limitations.
    Kind Regards,
    Dave Pitman

System
    Win-7 64 bit
    12 gb ddr3 ram