Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Roof planes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    ......................... In this case making the adjustment first and then using Auto Roof Planes worked just as it should.
    No argument here, potato, potato, tomato, tomato, it depends on how we work.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    No argument here, potato, potato, tomato, tomato, it depends on how we work.
    Exactly! I almost always use the Auto Roof Plane Tool. I've never had a problem using Manual Roof Planes but the automatic tool is faster for me 95% of the time. In addition, if it doesn't work as I expect then it gives me a very quick tutorial on what I've done wrong in the model. BTW, It's obvious that my geometry is better than yours - just check the results on the golf course
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Exactly! I almost always use the Auto Roof Plane Tool. I've never had a problem using Manual Roof Planes but the automatic tool is faster for me 95% of the time. In addition, if it doesn't work as I expect then it gives me a very quick tutorial on what I've done wrong in the model. BTW, It's obvious that my geometry is better than yours - just check the results on the golf course
    lol, Joe, you are such a jerk, one day my geometry will be better than yours, I just hope you are still alive. lol, Joe, thanks Bud................. see on the golf course soon.... lol............
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott:

for me the definition of auto roofs is being able to change settings in any/all of the related dbx's and getting the desired roof

manual roofs is when I have to select the roof plane(s) and manually manipulate them into connecting correctly

and I agree - auto roofs do NOT work for every situation
    but they CAN work for many

auto roofs would really shine if we could create a macro by recording our clicks as we make the setting changes

then if something changes we can run that script over again and get the exact same roof

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

In a nut shell.
    You are correct. Auto Roof Planes don't always work.

But in this case the problem was pretty simple. Either the pitch was wrong or the distance from the Garage Wall to the 2nd Floor Wall was wrong or the height from the Garage Plate to the Second Floor Plate was wrong.

It was simple geometry and something had to be adjusted. Doing it manually simply made the same adjustment. In this case making the adjustment first and then using Auto Roof Planes worked just as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post

auto roofs would really shine if we could create a macro by recording our clicks as we make the setting changes

then if something changes we can run that script over again and get the exact same roof

Lew
    Lew, There is a macro utility that you can get to do this.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

I guess my first fix was the correct one, don't know why, just fixed it.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

lol, Joe, you are such a jerk, one day my geometry will be better than yours, I just hope you are still alive. lol, Joe, thanks Bud................. see on the golf course soon.... lol............
    I just love Jerking your Chain
    Windows 8.1

Sorry guys that I wasted your time. Auto roofs work great, please continue using auto roofs, no thinking involved, simply hit the build roof button and all is well. I am so glad I was schooled on auto roofs, I never realized they were so easy. From now on I am going to use auto roofs. Thanks CA, I love auto roofs and auto slabs, easy peasy.

EDIT: SORRY GUYS, TONGUE FIRMLY IMPLANTED IN CHEAK, I am such a bad boy.
    Last edited by dshall; 08-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

From now on I am going to use auto roofs. Thanks CA, I love auto roofs and auto slabs, easy peasy.

EDIT: SORRY GUYS, TONGUE FIRMLY IMPLANTED IN CHEAK, I am such a bad boy.
    I think I'm going to have to IMPLANT something in one of your CHEEKS!
    Windows 8.1

Another way of showing where it's off.....In the jpg, the auto generated roof shows the overhang at 18" in one area and 18 13/16" in another. The shaded area needs to move in the -Y direction 13/16". Make sure to align the 2nd floor walls, to the walls you moved below. Then, it auto generates correctly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof-3.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	54632
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

I think I'm going to have to IMPLANT something in one of your CHEEKS!
    Lol, Thanks Joe, admittedly I deserve it in one of my CHEEKS.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac View Post
    Another way of showing where it's off.....In the jpg, the auto generated roof shows the overhang at 18" in one area and 18 13/16" in another. The shaded area needs to move in the -Y direction 13/16". Make sure to align the 2nd floor walls, to the walls you moved below. Then, it auto generates correctly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof-3.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	54632
    The overhang is only off in that direction because the Roof Plan is 3/4" too high and it has to match the adjacent Fascia height.
    Windows 8.1

Lew, There is a macro utility that you can get to do this.

Joe:

I know - but I'm dreaming of a day when it can be done within Chief via Ruby

no thinking involved, simply hit the build roof button and all is well

Scott:

auto roofs may involve doing settings in a variety of dbx's both before and after hitting the "build roof button"

if "build roof button" is all you are doing then auto roofs is probably going to fail for you most of the time

watch some of the auto roof training vidoes and read some of the auto roof help articles

Chief can do over two dozen roof styles using auto roof

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

The overhang is only off in that direction because the Roof Plan is 3/4" too high and it has to match the adjacent Fascia height.
    That is correct. This only offers another choice. Use a polyline around the area to be moved, Edit Area all Floors, and the area can be moved quickly. Generate Roof. Just depends if the user wants to go this way.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory