Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Thanks Joe, that sounds like the answer that works
    So the real question is:

Does Mr Hall agree?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    So the real question is:

Does Mr Hall agree?
    No, Mr. Hall does not agree............. this is a confusing conundrum with many different solutions, if you guys came up with a solution , that is great, but I do not concur with whatever solution you came up with. Bottom line............ the auto roof does not work with this type of situation.......... yes, you can get a 3D rendering that may satisfy you, but if you are as anal as I, you would not think it was an ACCURATE solution.

Let me say this, if you post whatever solution you come up with, I believe I could find errors.............. not to say it is wrong, but I am sure I could find errors............ that I am sure can be worked out in the field.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Note that the ridge heights between left and right differ by 1/16". I think that this is just an accuracy problem in that, by coincidence, two different cals came out within Chief's accuracy of 1/16" and could not match.

I thought that chief caled to greater accuracy -- but maybe not? Definitely a look see for Chief ,if their interested.
    Gerry

NewCraft Home Services

Design/ Compliance Review
    PE, X6 , Sketchup 8, TurboCad Pro 20
    -----------------------------------
    ASUS P9X79D, i7-3820, GTX680 w/4gb
    -----------------------------
    If the Government would just cut down more d*** trees, I'd have a much better view of the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by gteacher View Post
    Note that the ridge heights between left and right differ by 1/16"......................
    Exactly, exactly, exactly, I have explained several times the reason for this.......... it is really not a mystery, CA built this roof as well as CA knows how, ( in my mind), this is user error or the fact that the user does not know how CA works.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Bottom line, CA is building TWO ROOF PLANES. One is based off of the garage top plate and other build off of the second floor top plate.................. and then putting in another roof to connect the two.................

Is this right? I don't know.
    Could CA do a better job? I don't know.

All I know is that CA is doing the best it can based on the parameters that RJ initially set up.

Again, I repeat, this is the weakness of the auto roof.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

You're welcome Scott........Looks like Perry's way works. For some reason, it joins slightly different in the valley. I guess that's what happens depending on the method you use. I used the join roof tool, to reconnect the small gable, to the main roof and it was slightly off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof-1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	54623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof-2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	54624
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

OK Scott,

Here's my solution. By moving the garage wall 1" it made the roof planes match at the second floor. This is the equivalent of moving the garage plate down 3/4". Plan attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac View Post
    You're welcome Scott........Looks like Perry's way works. For some reason, it joins slightly different in the valley. I guess that's what happens depending on the method you use. I used the join roof tool, to reconnect the small gable, to the main roof and it was slightly off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof-1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	54623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof-2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	54624
    As I have stated before, if you post your solution, I would venture to guess that I can come up with an error in your method. But if you are happy, I am happy.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott,

Attached is my solution of moving the Garage Plate Height down 3/4". I'm waiting for your approval on both of my solutions.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    As I have stated before, if you post your solution, I would venture to guess that I can come up with an error in your method.....
    Not following your comment Scott. Just showing a difference in methods. What, which method are you referring to? Personally, I wouldn't use Perry's method, only because the wall didn't need to be moved........but, Perry shows the wall can be moved, roof built, then move the wall back, if you want the roof to build in one section......However, from my viewpoint, the valley forms better, when planes are generated on two different levels, then joined.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Joe's answer is the correct one in my eyes I guess you could also change the pitch to hit the 2nd floor exactly.
    Last edited by perryh; 08-27-2012 at 11:44 AM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

Attached is my solution of moving the Garage Plate Height down 3/4". I'm waiting for your approval on both of my solutions.
    Joe, I believe you to be absolutely correct, if you change the HEIGHT OF THE GARAGE, which is not the default height nor the height of of the plates at the rest of the house, the auto roofs will build correctly. But that was not the exercise. That was not the exercise, that was not the exercise, that was not the exercise. And if that was the exercise, how did you know to drop the plate hts. down exactly 1/2". And if you say that you determined that via trial and error, I do not believe that is much different than building the roof manually which is my whole point. Build roofs manually, pick your poisons, use the co-planer tool and be done with it.

Oh, by the way RJ.............. I officially hate you for bringing up this topic, it has cost me mucho pesatas.............. hey RJ, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Joe's answer is the correct one in my eyes I guess you could also change the pitch to hit the 2nd floor exactly.
    But changing the pitch was not part of the exercise. In my mind, and the only thing I was trying to point out was the fact that AUTO ROOFS have limitations and they do not always build correctly. Yes, adjust the plate ht. yes adjust the pitch, yes adjust the span, who cares, we can all do that if we want..... the point is that AUTO ROOFS DON'T ALWAYS WORK!
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    But changing the pitch was not part of the exercise. In my mind, and the only thing I was trying to point out was the fact that AUTO ROOFS have limitations and they do not always build correctly. Yes, adjust the plate ht. yes adjust the pitch, yes adjust the span, who cares, we can all do that if we want..... the point is that AUTO ROOFS DON'T ALWAYS WORK!
    You are correct. Auto Roof Planes don't always work.

But in this case the problem was pretty simple. Either the pitch was wrong or the distance from the Garage Wall to the 2nd Floor Wall was wrong or the height from the Garage Plate to the Second Floor Plate was wrong.

It was simple geometry and something had to be adjusted. Doing it manually simply made the same adjustment. In this case making the adjustment first and then using Auto Roof Planes worked just as it should.
    Windows 8.1