Thread: Roof planes

Hybrid View

FWIW, if you simply change the roof pitch to 8-15/16" per foot it will work perfectly with your original plan without changing any plate heights or moving any walls.

I did not find any misalignment of the 2nd floor walls. I know there was a lot of discussion about this but I didn't see it in the plan when I opened it in X5. One way to check that is to open the Garage dbx and uncheck "Roof over this Room". Then rebuild the Roof Planes and look at the 2nd Floor Roof. It's perfect.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 08-27-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

All I want to know is what mjrs thinks about this mess he started.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Roof planes

Thanks for all the discussion. There are a couple of good approaches here for solving my problem. I'm new at CA and predicting how it react to changes can be a crap shoot .... at least for me.

I figured that there might be a wall length or alignment issue that caused two roof planes to form rather than one, but I was not able to identify where the problem was. I even redrew the second floor as a simple rectangle to make sure the corners were square and the opposite lengths equal, and then built off of it. Maybe some of the snapping that went on as the other segments were added messed things up. The garage wall position seems to have been an issue, too.

The best solution would probably be to better learn to manually draw roof planes. I'm workin' on it.