Thread: Roof planes

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Joe's answer is the correct one in my eyes I guess you could also change the pitch to hit the 2nd floor exactly.
    But changing the pitch was not part of the exercise. In my mind, and the only thing I was trying to point out was the fact that AUTO ROOFS have limitations and they do not always build correctly. Yes, adjust the plate ht. yes adjust the pitch, yes adjust the span, who cares, we can all do that if we want..... the point is that AUTO ROOFS DON'T ALWAYS WORK!
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    But changing the pitch was not part of the exercise. In my mind, and the only thing I was trying to point out was the fact that AUTO ROOFS have limitations and they do not always build correctly. Yes, adjust the plate ht. yes adjust the pitch, yes adjust the span, who cares, we can all do that if we want..... the point is that AUTO ROOFS DON'T ALWAYS WORK!
    You are correct. Auto Roof Planes don't always work.

But in this case the problem was pretty simple. Either the pitch was wrong or the distance from the Garage Wall to the 2nd Floor Wall was wrong or the height from the Garage Plate to the Second Floor Plate was wrong.

It was simple geometry and something had to be adjusted. Doing it manually simply made the same adjustment. In this case making the adjustment first and then using Auto Roof Planes worked just as it should.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    ......................... In this case making the adjustment first and then using Auto Roof Planes worked just as it should.
    No argument here, potato, potato, tomato, tomato, it depends on how we work.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

No argument here, potato, potato, tomato, tomato, it depends on how we work.
    Exactly! I almost always use the Auto Roof Plane Tool. I've never had a problem using Manual Roof Planes but the automatic tool is faster for me 95% of the time. In addition, if it doesn't work as I expect then it gives me a very quick tutorial on what I've done wrong in the model. BTW, It's obvious that my geometry is better than yours - just check the results on the golf course
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Exactly! I almost always use the Auto Roof Plane Tool. I've never had a problem using Manual Roof Planes but the automatic tool is faster for me 95% of the time. In addition, if it doesn't work as I expect then it gives me a very quick tutorial on what I've done wrong in the model. BTW, It's obvious that my geometry is better than yours - just check the results on the golf course
    lol, Joe, you are such a jerk, one day my geometry will be better than yours, I just hope you are still alive. lol, Joe, thanks Bud................. see on the golf course soon.... lol............
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott:

for me the definition of auto roofs is being able to change settings in any/all of the related dbx's and getting the desired roof

manual roofs is when I have to select the roof plane(s) and manually manipulate them into connecting correctly

and I agree - auto roofs do NOT work for every situation
    but they CAN work for many

auto roofs would really shine if we could create a macro by recording our clicks as we make the setting changes

then if something changes we can run that script over again and get the exact same roof

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post

auto roofs would really shine if we could create a macro by recording our clicks as we make the setting changes

then if something changes we can run that script over again and get the exact same roof

Lew
    Lew, There is a macro utility that you can get to do this.
    Windows 8.1

lol, Joe, you are such a jerk, one day my geometry will be better than yours, I just hope you are still alive. lol, Joe, thanks Bud................. see on the golf course soon.... lol............
    I just love Jerking your Chain
    Windows 8.1

Sorry guys that I wasted your time. Auto roofs work great, please continue using auto roofs, no thinking involved, simply hit the build roof button and all is well. I am so glad I was schooled on auto roofs, I never realized they were so easy. From now on I am going to use auto roofs. Thanks CA, I love auto roofs and auto slabs, easy peasy.

EDIT: SORRY GUYS, TONGUE FIRMLY IMPLANTED IN CHEAK, I am such a bad boy.
    Last edited by dshall; 08-27-2012 at 03:25 PM.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

In a nut shell.
    You are correct. Auto Roof Planes don't always work.

But in this case the problem was pretty simple. Either the pitch was wrong or the distance from the Garage Wall to the 2nd Floor Wall was wrong or the height from the Garage Plate to the Second Floor Plate was wrong.

It was simple geometry and something had to be adjusted. Doing it manually simply made the same adjustment. In this case making the adjustment first and then using Auto Roof Planes worked just as it should.