Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BN20 is offline Registered User Promoted

Stair Winder/Contraction

Hi Everyone,

In close quarters, stairs will go past the intended adjacent wall and butt up to walls sometimes 4' +/- away when using winder/contraction. I have used several different measurements in the dbx and have moved stairs, walls and every other setting I could think of, but only get wrong outcomes

Suggestion: Is it possible to have separate control over the contraction/expansion of stairs from one side to the other. I would like to be able to build the stairs like the pictures attached. After hours of trying any possible solution - I believe I or Chief is not capable...

Any other help with my stairs from 1st-4th floor would be appreciated (granted they were a lot better drawn until I tried to get fancy) - I could have physically built these stairs faster than I could build them in chief.

On a side note:
    1.what is the best way to create full roof returns over a shed roof/wall connection? (as built on the 1st fl. front/right of the house)
    2. same question when there is a double gable on the same wall? (as built on rear left side of house)
    3.same question - on gable porch roof? (as shown on front 2nd story porch)
    4. There seems to be an additional frieze board on my eave walls that shouldn't be there (see cad detail elevation 1) When I change to "Gable only" it goes away. Yes I checked - there is only one frieze board

please see attached plan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2802 Circle Dr. stairs at landing .jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	54565  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BN20; 08-27-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: removed image to clarify question
    Brian Newkirk
    General Contractor
    X5 (from X2);
    PC: Windows 7 64bit, 32G Ram,
    Intel i7 Core 3960X, Asus P9X79 PRO, GeForce GTX 780ti
    Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6, 6G Ram, 64bit Vista OS, Radeon HD4650
    Sketchup 8, AutoCad LT 2011

You can control those stairs with invisible walls, at the pantry just put one there. You can also drag the lower wall up to connect with the top of stairs. Some walls are not default height also.
    Last edited by perryh; 08-25-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry,
    Before posting, I was able to use an invisible wall for the 1st floor hallway stairs but that didn't work for the stairs over the pantry. The stairs just pushed through to the kitchen/pantry wall? That was with a 3" contraction. I wasn't able to get any consistent results. I would appreciate if someone could at least post a picture showing it's possible.

How would I get the partial railing in the center? Is that the wall you are talking about pulling up? I was able to manipulate the wall in back clipped view but can' get the railing there. Is the only way to do this is by symbols? Which walls are not set to the default?

I am sorry Perry, I don't get it.
    Brian Newkirk
    General Contractor
    X5 (from X2);

I just opened your plan and put a wall (invisible or regular), worked, not sure whats going on with you though.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    not sure whats going on with you though.
    Sorry for not getting back to you on this. Thanks Perry. I think.
    Brian Newkirk
    General Contractor
    X5 (from X2);

Link to Brian's stair video, terrible video, I could not do it

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/B's...20part%201.wmv
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Here is the stair at pantry fixed by just fixing the room def.s and adding a wall. The rest of the plan has many problems that I can see, but cant work on it right now. It could take someone a while to do. Haven't seen the video yet. I'm not exactly sure what you want.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Here is the stair at pantry fixed by just fixing the room def.s and adding a wall. The rest of the plan has many problems that I can see, but cant work on it right now. It could take someone a while to do. Haven't seen the video yet. I'm not exactly sure what you want.
    Don't waste your time with the vid Perry, just trying to save you time.......... you get it............
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Thanks Guys,

I am sure it didn't help that I stripped the plan down so much that it made it harder to get your bearings. Oops. These narrow lot beach house designs are definitely complicated. (rooms with stairs over them, multiple level stair crammed in to meet hieght restrictions, exterior stair landings) Scott, I am just as frustrated as you were in your video. The pantry below goes all the way through under the steps (so will just make an invisible wall where you and Perry pulled that wall across. As for the stair railing/half wall between flights - I will have to use symbols.

I had another project that had similar situation that I managed to make look right with work-a-rounds. There is just not enough of a need for Chief to make improvements in the areas I need them in. This situation proves it, although I didn't communicate it very well in this post.

Besides all of the above - the graphics card slot on my motherboard went bad and it was time to upgrade. (hence the delays in my replies) Unfortunately, bad timing for the finances. I will be updated my signature soon with the new specs.

Thanks again for the efforts,

Brian
    Brian Newkirk
    General Contractor
    X5 (from X2);

Thanks for being nice to us, we are also learning every day.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Same Issue

I'm having a nearly identical issue when compared to the one described below. I'm trying to draw up a staircase with winders next to a relatively narrow hallway for a row-house duplex style design, and I can't get a section of the winders to stop expanding to the far hallway wall which is almost 4' away. As described below, I have tried hours of workarounds (which is really unacceptable), and I've been unable to achieve consistent results. If this really is an uncorrectable issue, I can't believe a program as expensive as Chief Architect would have such a major flaw. If anyone has figured out a reliable solution to this problem, I'd be very grateful for the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by BN20 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

In close quarters, stairs will go past the intended adjacent wall and butt up to walls sometimes 4' +/- away when using winder/contraction. I have used several different measurements in the dbx and have moved stairs, walls and every other setting I could think of, but only get wrong outcomes

Suggestion: Is it possible to have separate control over the contraction/expansion of stairs from one side to the other. I would like to be able to build the stairs like the pictures attached. After hours of trying any possible solution - I believe I or Chief is not capable...

Any other help with my stairs from 1st-4th floor would be appreciated (granted they were a lot better drawn until I tried to get fancy) - I could have physically built these stairs faster than I could build them in chief.

On a side note:
    1.what is the best way to create full roof returns over a shed roof/wall connection? (as built on the 1st fl. front/right of the house)
    2. same question when there is a double gable on the same wall? (as built on rear left side of house)
    3.same question - on gable porch roof? (as shown on front 2nd story porch)
    4. There seems to be an additional frieze board on my eave walls that shouldn't be there (see cad detail elevation 1) When I change to "Gable only" it goes away. Yes I checked - there is only one frieze board

please see attached plan

Hi Herb,

I never had much success in fully getting what I wanted between each flight of stairs. Which complicated things even more. No none else that gave it a shot did either. Best bet is to get it to show up in the plan correctly by work a rounds. I gave up on displaying in renderings or elevations. There isn't a project I have done that hasn't had a frustrating challenging road block. Chief is not built custom construction - dare I say it - yet? If more people can voice their requests maybe in time this will change.
    Brian
    Brian Newkirk
    General Contractor
    X5 (from X2);

Brian, we could have probably fixed the plan but you had too many other things wrong with it and didn't have the time to fix everything. Those stairs can be done.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry, why so sensitive? If you could have (specifically based on the image(s) I provided) - why didn't you? Here's a challenge: forget my plan - build the stairs according to the image. I will be happy to provide additional images of the stairs. If you are too busy. Then you can't actually say it's possible. I don't have the time to chat all day either - that's why I moved on. I was stating my opinion to help someone (Herb) not waste their time. So please, by all means, prove me wrong. Thanks in advance for your always positive and willing helpfulness.
    Brian Newkirk
    General Contractor
    X5 (from X2);

No offence but after seeing your plan, I just didn't have that much time, it was a mess. Too many things to fix. I'm not sensitive, just telling it like it is.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor