Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: X5 beta

My 2 cents, even though it seems pretty stable so far once you turn over a plan to a new version there's no going back in case you experience a blip.

I guess it depends on how compatible your hardware is with the new update.
    Love life, stay healthy and enjoy every day
    http://www.mmolive.com/
    http://www.mmohome.com/

We still support XP for X5.

We don't recommend it however. Windows 7 is faster and less buggy than XP with respect to Chief. Plus you have 64 bit which is not available under XP.

X6 is still an open question. Currently it looks like the trends in number of people using XP are declining at a rate that suggests that it is likely that we will drop support for XP for X6.

I would urge people that are on XP to look at moving to Windows 7 or 8 within about a year.

It's better to do the move on your timeline rather than being forced to do it due to circumstances outside of your control.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

X5 is working great so far.

As far as the comments go about Hardware/Software upgrades, my partner and I use almost all the same programs I have very few problems while he is always having problems. The only difference I can see is I upgrade software/hardware every 2-3 years, he waits 4-5 years and then when he does upgrade he gets a less expensive system. Every situation is different, but in our case he wastes more time/money by using an old system than I spend on upgrades.
    Ben Johnson
    B&B Builders
    Rigby, ID
    Chief X5
    Windows 7
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz
    16 GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Ben:

I agree, staying current is "imperative"

skimping is counter-productive

I would also caution about upgrading older PC's to a new OS

XP to Vista was a large leap and I wouldn't recommend upgrading an XP PC to Vista/Win7/Win8

Vista to Win7 upgrade - probably not an issue
    unless the Vista PC was "weak" to start with

Win8 is looking to be a large enough leap that I would caution about upgrading to it

My general recommendation is to buy a new OS with a new PC
    that was built for it

bottom line - if you can't afford to stay current then be prepared to
    deal with "hassles" that will grow and grow until you are forced to move forward

I've been buying computers since 1978 and this is "reality"

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Ben:

I agree, staying current is "imperative"
    [rant] Sigh... Nonsense. Staying current is NOT "imperative" it is simply an option. A well maintained, older machine will run programs just fine for a long time after those who claim that it's imperative to upgrade.

skimping is counter-productive
    I disagree. Not knowing your system or how to maintain it is counter-productive. Skimping isn't even a term that can be defined let alone defended.

I would also caution about upgrading older PC's to a new OS

XP to Vista was a large leap and I wouldn't recommend upgrading an XP PC to Vista/Win7/Win8

Vista to Win7 upgrade - probably not an issue
    unless the Vista PC was "weak" to start with

Win8 is looking to be a large enough leap that I would caution about upgrading to it
    I've done it many times and won't hesitate to do it again. It's a simple process if you know what you are doing. If you don't then I'd caution against it too. I'll upgrade my current system to 7 or 8 when the time comes with no qualms or fear of doing so.

My general recommendation is to buy a new OS with a new PC
    that was built for it
    That is the silliest advice I've read in a long time. But Lew this forum is about ideas. That's yours, mine is very very different.

Are you saying when it comes time to upgrade your system to Win 8, which I assume is 'imperative' to you and will be right away so you can stay 'current', you will buy a new computer?

Seriously? Again, we all have different ideas, but I hope no one reading this actually thinks they need to buy a new computer when upgrading an OS. If you do then please e-mail directly and I'll talk you off the cliff.

bottom line - if you can't afford to stay current then be prepared to
    deal with "hassles" that will grow and grow until you are forced to move forward
    Eventually a user will have to upgrade. The user who understands his system will know when that time is. There is no absolute time to upgrade. Again if you understand your system then you'll know your system and you'll know when it's time..

I've been buying computers since 1978 and this is "reality"
    Lew, do you know nothing about "realty?" Reality doesn't come in a one size fits all package. There's different versions for everyone.

In your reality it's imperative that you stay current. In my reality it's imperative my system work so I can get my work done.

I am getting a little tired of the same old mantra about some need to stay current and the constant bad advice about doing so.

Today's computer user does NOT need to stay current. They need to keep their system operating at its highest efficiency until it no longer serves their purpose. If that requires a 'current' driver or OS then so be it, but there is no absolute rule about upgrading software, OS or hardware and IMO you should stop advising that there is. [/rant]
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Larry:

I agree - opinions are opinions not "rules"

I never said my opinion was a "rule" or "mandatory"

yes, "imparative" may not be the correct word
    perhaps "inevitable" ???

I have my opinion you have yours

others can make their own choice...

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Larry:

I agree - opinions are opinions not "rules"

I never said my opinion was a "rule" or "mandatory"

yes, "imparative" may not be the correct word
    perhaps "inevitable" ???

I have my opinion you have yours

others can make their own choice...

Lew
    Peace Brutha!
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Larry, the reason to buy a new computer with the new windows version, is so the hardware matches the software. That's how I always do it. Works good for me, never have problems. Also a fresh install is always good.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

So...Back to the original point of this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbuilders View Post
    For those that have tried X5, Would you recommend making the change to X5 now during BETA, or waiting until after BETA?

THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY

I started with X5 very early. I started an actual paying job in X5B1. It was a little painful, a little unstable, but I expected that going in. When you jump into a very early beta, you can't expect it to be "release quality". However, I don't invest in bonds much, I invest in speculative stocks. I have a much higher tolerance for risk.

Although I had a "show stopper" early, I sent the plan in, tech support found my issue, I fixed it, and kept going. My point here is that Chief has a GREAT tech support team.

X4 Beta was the most stable Beta version I had seen when it came out. (Believe me, some of the earlier beta versions were very painful). X5 early Beta was at least, or more stable than X4 was. By B2, I was was "All-In" and running my business on X5. Sure, there were some minor issues, but no "show stoppers".

Since then, I have been using X5 every day-all day. At this point, I would not even consider starting a new plan with X4. I am not trying to be a chearleader for Chief, and I am not trying to convince anybody to jump into X5. I am just letting you guys know, this is my bread & butter, & It's a "No Brainer" for me.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Larry, the reason to buy a new computer with the new windows version, is so the hardware matches the software. That's how I always do it. Works good for me, never have problems. Also a fresh install is always good.
    I've seen this behavior and opinion in more than one place Perry. I'm just surprised at the ignorance (and I mean that term in a very respectful way) when it comes to computers and the need to upgrade the hardware with a new OS. A very expensive and unnecessary safeguard IMO but there ya go. Being comfortable with your computer is pretty important.

Will you buy a new computer when you get Win8? Even though all you'd have to do is install the new OS on your old machine? Or even run a dual boot OS for a while till Win 8 proved stable? Really just curious.

That's what I did with my other Win 7 system. I ran it dual boot with XP for awhile till I could migrate my software and check for compatibility. Different story with my CA computer or I'd do the same thing with that system.

Anyway good to read different opinions on the matter.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I believe the main argument against buying a new computer is whether or not your wife pays your credit card bills. If she does not, then do what the triathletes do, get a new bike that is the same color and brand each year (but with a computer).
    alan lehman - Lehman Design Studio - Carmel, CA
    www.LehmanDesignStudio.com
    vX5 with the latest patch
    Intel i7-3770k cpu @ 3.5ghz, 16gb mem., Win 7, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660
    "No rest for the wicked or the freelancers."

Larry I don't think ignorance and respectively belong in the same sentence. It's like saying, I respectively say , your an idiot. That's ok, I don't have your kind problems. I use to build computer from scratch and I'm ignorantly aware of the problems that can happen. Keep up the good work and I still love you.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    I believe the main argument against buying a new computer is whether or not your wife pays your credit card bills. If she does not, then do what the triathletes do, get a new bike that is the same color and brand each year (but with a computer).
    Its different, Computers and operating systems Change consistently and I hate a slow computer. Time is money after all.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Larry I don't think ignorance and respectively belong in the same sentence. It's like saying, I respectively say , your an idiot. That's ok, I don't have your kind problems. I use to build computer from scratch and I'm ignorantly aware of the problems that can happen. Keep up the good work and I still love you.
    "Ignorant" - Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

I actually consider myself ignorant about many, many things. To me it just means I have a lot to learn. Really no disrespect intended. And you are apparently quite an educated and sophisticated computer user. Sometimes I can only look through my eyes and the way I do things and I'm surprised by another point of view at times.

Anyway let me know when you're upgrading to Win 8 (which should be pretty soon I assume to stay current?) so I can buy your old, outdated, computer. Love you too.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Will you buy a new computer when you get Win8? Even though all you'd have to do is install the new OS on your old machine? Or even run a dual boot OS for a while till Win 8 proved stable?

Larry:

Over the decades I have read/heard of too many issues when upgrading an older PC to a newer OS

Vista gained a very bad rep in the beginning - mainly due to XP PC being upgraded

Vista to Win7 not such a big leap

not sure about Win7 to Win8

in my opinion getting a PC that was designed for the OS is "important"

could upgrading work - sure - if one has time/energy to deal with all
    things that go bump in the night

I prefer not to deal with those issues

for those who have the time/patience then go for it

Lew

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY