Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: X5 beta

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleChief View Post
    .................. I'll upgrade when I'm financially able..................
    I get this, I get this, I get this, however I have found that sometimes it is penny wise and pound foolish not to keep up with the latest. I am not sure how much it cost to upgrade to "7", maybe 50.00, but I am assuming you are wasting that 50.00 by trying to get XP to work and I have spent that much money giving you this advice. But I get it.......... times are tough right now and we have to watch our dollars.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Larry,

In 2009 I had to cut off my cable tv, cut out fresh vegetables, ditch the $10/month gym membership and went two long cold-snap 3 day weekends without heat - so I hear you. It was a long painful careful road back to being anything but month to month and a prayer. All the math in the world doesn't do it if the till is empty. And I'm now cured forever, and I mean FOREVER, from every drinking from the poison cup of credit again. Even if I had credit capacity, I wouldn't touch it.

So you have my support for your no-apologies stance on upgrading.
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I get this, I get this, I get this, however I have found that sometimes it is penny wise and pound foolish not to keep up with the latest. I am not sure how much it cost to upgrade to "7", maybe 50.00, but I am assuming you are wasting that 50.00 by trying to get XP to work and I have spent that much money giving you this advice. But I get it.......... times are tough right now and we have to watch our dollars.
    Spending $50 to upgrade to Win 7 would be a simple no brainer but I have LOTS of software that won't run on 7 and believe me I'm not a computer idiot. I have Win 7 on one machine but I only run a couple of programs on that machine but it's in another room for another purpose. It's a great OS in my opinion.

And I have an older printer that I use with Chief. Will it run OK on Win 7? What if it doesn't? New printer? Another grand - $1500.00. And what other problems will Win 7 introduce on this machine for this purpose. That simply means more time and $$.

And up to now XP has been perfect with CA and if all I have to do is reinstall Visual C++ to have it running perfect again I would want to upgrade and spend all that time and money why?

AND the Chief guy just said that the Visual C++ problem can be duplicated on all systems including Win 7 (abeit not as easily as XP) and again I would want to upgrade and spend all that time and money why? Just to feel good about being up to date?

Hey don't get me wrong, that's a pretty good feeling but it's also a pretty good feeling knowing you can get by more than good enough on what one already has.

There will come a day when CA will not run on XP and I'll happily upgrade then. Till then I'll save my money and time and be just as productive with the OS I have.

My opinion of course and always respect yours and others'.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton View Post
    Larry,

In 2009 I had to cut off my cable tv, cut out fresh vegetables, ditch the $10/month gym membership and went two long cold-snap 3 day weekends without heat - so I hear you. It was a long painful careful road back to being anything but month to month and a prayer. All the math in the world doesn't do it if the till is empty. And I'm now cured forever, and I mean FOREVER, from every drinking from the poison cup of credit again. Even if I had credit capacity, I wouldn't touch it.

So you have my support for your no-apologies stance on upgrading.
    Thanks for the empathy Wendy, so glad to hear you've found a way out. I know a few who did not.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

I'm hearing you guys, it took me a while, but its really nice to be debt free at last in this economy. I can never tell what the future brings, just have to go with the flow.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Just called tech support. X5 should run fine on XP 32 bit so maybe now we can continue dealing with facts instead of conjecture.

Jintu, If you're getting the same error as I they suggested reinstalling the Visual C++ package, HERE'S a link hope it helps.
    Didn't help here. Same error when changing materials in the wall type dbx

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I'm hearing you guys, it took me a while, but its really nice to be debt free at last in this economy. I can never tell what the future brings, just have to go with the flow.
    I have not had an outstanding debt on my credit card since 1994 when I went through my own financial problems. I say pay it off every month, and if you can't pay it off, don't spend the money. Jeez, don't I sound like a pompous you know what. I have a feeling that just about every one of us who are independent business owners got caught up in the credit deal, and I think we all had to learn the hard way............... but we learned and I hope none of us end up there again, it ain't fun, many a sleepless night.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yep, I'm debt free now also

house, car, credit cards - no debt

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

To this day I tear up a little even writing about 2009. I came within inches of losing my house, fought foreclosure for 18 months. It's seared into my consiousness like the Great Depression was for my grandmother, who couldn't throw out a piece of string and couldn't turn the heat up above 60.

We just retired our last XP workstation this year, and thought long and hard about "need" vs "want" first.

Perry - Congrats on retiring your debt. I'm still a full four years out from that celebration, and even then only non-mortgage debt.

I guess I'm saying to everybody - your fellow posters are intelligent adult business people. They can do the math. I think we should respect it when someone says investing in upgrades isn't what they can or should do at the moment. They know the benefits, they know all the arguments, have probably made the case themselves at various points. Let's not add peer pressure to existing economic angst.

That's Miss Prissy Pants two cents for the day. Ok three cents, I used up three paragraphs!
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Yep, I'm debt free now also

house, car, credit cards - no debt

Lew
    Well, my house ain't paid for, and I have a feeling I will always have a car lease............ but that's it................ oh nuts, I have the darn Grandkids.......... thankfully only 3 to date........... I thank my lucky stars that I don't have 12 like my friend Perry, heck, the other day he dropped a hundred dollars taking all those rug rats to the movies....... I would of taken them to the playground and dropped them off.............. if Perry would follow my advice he would have an extra hundred dollars in his pocket and he could of taken Penny out for a very nice meal.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    ....if Perry would follow my advice he would have an extra hundred dollars in his pocket and he could of taken Penny out for a very nice meal.
    ...or he could have upgraded to Windows 8

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    21" Viewsonic

...or he could have upgraded to Windows 8
    Good point, but if ain't broke, don't fix it. I am still on 7 and I am loathe to switch to 8, I have no idea the travails of that. I am such a hypocrite.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

No Windows 8 for me until I buy a new computer with it already on it and sp1 is out. its only 40 bucks for the upgrade.
    Love to take the grandkids to the movies, but they want to see the 3d ones. Really, so do I.
    Penny actually likes to cook at home so we rarely go out to eat. Everyone comes here to eat.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Yep, maybe auto roof returns are broken, I am not sure since I don't know enough about auto roofs. I did them manually with no problem. I got what I wanted with no problem using manual roofs, easy peasy, maybe 30 seconds.

here is a vid................
    http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/JINTU%20ROOF%201.wmv
    D.Scott,

Thanks for the assistance, great video tutorial!

Just change the return to gable and it works
    Perryh,

This is the best solution, Thank you!

Just called tech support. X5 should run fine on XP 32 bit so maybe now we can continue dealing with facts instead of conjecture.

Jintu, If you're getting the same error as I they suggested reinstalling the Visual C++ package, HERE'S a link hope it helps.
    Larry,

Thank you! system requirement will only support XP service pack 2, mine is 3. Anyway, we are not alone as it is also happening in windows7.
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    In this case it wasn't the machine, but the setting,
    I disagree.

Thanks again.
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5