Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    PART 2 FOR Alexis if he is interested, talking about creating the first floor block walls and the second floor deck guard rail

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALE...20PART%202.wmv
    Thanks a lot Scott for video 2. Its Excellent on wall creation. I used to use defaults for most details. I guess i still have a lot to learn. Here, like Mexico probably, its only Concrete, bricks and plaster. 7" for interior and exterior walls (for non storied) and 9" for exterior and interior (for storied). Both thicknesses include a 1" plaster layer on both sides. Wood is only for roofing. I will have to learn how to make and store these custom settings and if possible, how to make them defaults.
    Making the railing symbol is great too, you didn't give that option back then when i posted a question on making a half wall with a railing on top.
    Finally, Thanx for the dinner invitation, will pay in the same currency when you come to Uganda. About Corruption; Strongly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    Here is a link to my take on your roofs and other matters:

http://youtu.be/cONx9Yh5Zgs

Setting your default settings so that they agree with what/how you are designing is an important point, doing that saves time and also gets the software "on your side" working for you instead of against you.

I hope this helps you along.

DJP

Thanx Potter, I hand explained why i had different ceiling heights on the first floor in the main question but i was doing it the wrong way perhaps. I probably had to make a 2' difference between the ceiling and floor height to get what i intended.
    Thanks for the hints on the defaults. They'll be useful here from.
    With your, and Scott's roof design for the lower floor, the fascia of the longer front roof might end up a bit low, cant that ridge be moved closer to the middle of the house? i foresee interference problems with windows on the upper floor but that might provide a better look.
    You are precise in your approach, that's why i don't have much to write in reaction.

DJP = David J Potter.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Alexis "The Ugandan's" videos continued (again, not to be confused with Alexis "The Czech")

PART 3
    http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALEXIS%20PART%203.wmv
    blah blah blah, watch it if you want
    PART 4
    COOKING
    http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALEXIS%20PART%204.wmv
    PART 5
    http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALEXIS%20PART%205.wmv
    this is pretty good, I learned something here.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

If I could even begin to speak 5 languages, I'd not be embarassed in the least if I didn't speak or write them perfectly! OK, make that two. On some days, make that one. ;-)
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Djp

David j poter has said a lot and all of them r usefull not only to forum members but to the whole world. I dont not how he will respond if i just clearly mention him as a great person and spescify qoutes refering him like those men in history as Abraham linkon,martin luther and others.and he succeeds many of them that people in the world appreciate their sayings and quates. Sorry david but we will always learn a lot from u, like it or not we witness u r great person!.

Like Scott Hall's videos in his own words:"The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value."

I have obviously made a good impression upon Yusuf.

I thank him for the high praise, placing me in such stellar company with Martin Luther (Martin Luther King and Martin Luther are both great personages, ether of which I would be poor company for) and I assume you meant Abraham Lincoln the 16th President of the United States.

Wow, I am just an old, fat man from Texas who has a big mouth sometimes.

I do appreciate persons of good will and positive accomplishment from wherever they hail and I do think helping others as an avocation is a good thing to adopt.

There is already more than enough ill will and hate in the world than is good for all of our futures, even if the majority of this dismay and lies comes from a very small percentage of evil if industrious men and women. They, through their owned media outlets and other influences, make it seem a lot worse than things are, bad as they are, we can take an active role in making them better where we live.

Being a good person and doing good, saying good should not be something special, rather it should be something we all consciously (on purpose) do, every minute of every day.

The Bible says (roughly paraphrased) that a person reaps what they sow or you get what you put out so to speak, so I would suggest that help, kindness and understanding would be a better accent to one's Life than sarcasm and nitpicking towards others.

In any case, thank you for my unearned praise, I mean it.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 08-20-2012 at 11:54 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ฎ Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    Like Scott Hall's videos in his own words:"The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value."

I have obviously made a good impression upon Yusuf.

I thank him for the high praise, placing me in such stellar company with Martin Luther (Martin Luther King and Martin Luther are both great personages, ether of which I would be poor company for) and I assume you meant Abraham Lincoln the 16th President of the United States.

Wow, I am just an old, fat man from Texas who has a big mouth sometimes.

I do appreciate persons of good will and positive accomplishment from wherever they hail and I do think helping others as an avocation is a good thing to adopt.

There is already more than enough ill will and hate in the world than is good for all of our futures, even if the majority of this dismay and lies comes from a very small percentage of evil if industrious men and women. They, through their owned media outlets and other influences, make it seem a lot worse than things are, bad as they are, we can take an active role in making them better where we live.

Being a good person and doing good, saying good should not be something special, rather it should be something we all consciously (on purpose) do, every minute of every day.

The Bible says (roughly paraphrased) that a person reaps what they sow or you get what you put out so to speak, so I would suggest that help, kindness and understanding would be a better accent to one's Life than sarcasm and nitpicking towards others.

In any case, thank you for my unearned praise, I mean it.

DJP
    people of the book like you and me(christianity & islam) teachings about good and evil r the basics in thier beliefes. The deeds of individuals vary and who he does good is great. But my point here is that you remind me an intersting quote of an old farmer among those different nations in our country.He did not believe in any gods. And after thinking a while of those things happening around he said to himself "tsadkan binorim baynorim ka kifat dhagginat sayshal aykarim" this is in amharic language,it means "whether a paradise and **** exists or not, help,kindness and understanding would be a better accent to one's Life than sarcasm and nitpicking towards others

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Alexis "The Ugandan's" videos continued (again, not to be confused with Alexis "The Czech")

PART 3
    http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALEXIS%20PART%203.wmv
    PART 4
    COOKING
    http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALEXIS%20PART%204.wmv
    PART 5
    http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALEXIS%20PART%205.wmv
    this is pretty good, I learned something here.

Thanks Scott, hopefully all is possible with the same ease in x4. I thought though, that you would not forget, if possible, to show how to save/export settings. Tried myself this morning and all i could find was how to export wall definitions. Thought there was a way of saving all settings, walls, floors, roofs etc for later in case of a re-installation or less-knowledgeable comrade. Talking about Roofs, i didn't get any settings for that in defaults dbox. Thought there was a way i would make some defaults of roof types, materials, etc Here, its 'mostly' corrugated iron sheets directly onto wood, no layer in between like CA's default. Its only when roofing tiles are used when different layers are needed.

Hey Yusuf, what are the standards like your side?
    btw i saw some concrete roofs in some friend's photos he took while in Kenya, hipped, gabled, and combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    ......................... I thought though, that you would not forget, if possible, to show how to save/export settings. Tried myself this morning and all i could find was how to export wall definitions. ...................

USE CA'S RECOMMENDED METHOD OF SAVING AS TEMPLATE OR USE MY PREFERRED METHOD OF USING THE SAM AND THERE IS A VIDEO ON THIS METHOD AT CHIEFTUTOR.COM

. Talking about Roofs, i didn't get any settings for that in defaults dbox. Thought there was a way i would make some defaults of roof types, materials, etc Here, its 'mostly' corrugated iron sheets directly onto wood, no layer in between like CA's default. Its only when roofing tiles are used when different layers are needed.

CA DOES SOME PRETTY GOOD ROOF VIDEOS ON THIS AS WELL AS THERE IS A HELP SECTION.
    Hope this helps.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Just did some minor research and came across this;
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=59952
    and
    http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?t=37667
    Seems like its not cheaply possible.

Thanks Scott, hopefully all is possible with the same ease in x4. I thought though, that you would not forget, if possible, to show how to save/export settings. Tried myself this morning and all i could find was how to export wall definitions. Thought there was a way of saving all settings, walls, floors, roofs etc for later in case of a re-installation or less-knowledgeable comrade. Talking about Roofs, i didn't get any settings for that in defaults dbox. Thought there was a way i would make some defaults of roof types, materials, etc Here, its 'mostly' corrugated iron sheets directly onto wood, no layer in between like CA's default. Its only when roofing tiles are used when different layers are needed.

Hey Yusuf, what are the standards like your side?
    btw i saw some concrete roofs in some friend's photos he took while in Kenya, hipped, gabled, and combinations.
    hey take a look at this
    one day, i will come nierobi and meet u and your friends.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alex 1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	54467   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alex 4.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	54468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alex 3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	54469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alex 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	54470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alex 5.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	54471  

Waw!!!!! Yusuf, ......... you said you just landed onto CA accidentally and not so long ago but this is good, thoughtful stuff, this is exactly what i meant in my original post when i said that the beauty of a house has a lot to do with its roofing. If you ask me, this is better and kinda what i was expecting. ie raised roofs, unique shapes even domers, and a few changes here and there just to make the house design OUTSTANDING. This surely is more candidate.
    I almost told you not to bother with the competition thing but just go ahead man. You have the innovative mind that it takes.
    Thanx Yusuf.
    Your design even solves some issue i had with the electrical installation work vis-a-vis ceiling accessibility.
    Lets wait for more contributors. ..... Hopefully.

Waw!!!!! Yusuf, ......... you said you just landed onto CA accidentally and not so long ago but this is good, thoughtful stuff, this is exactly what i meant in my original post when i said that the beauty of a house has a lot to do with its roofing. If you ask me, this is better and kinda what i was expecting. ie raised roofs, unique shapes even domers, and a few changes here and there just to make the house design OUTSTANDING. This surely is more candidate.
    I almost told you not to bother with the competition thing but just go ahead man. You have the innovative mind that it takes.
    Thanx Yusuf.
    Your design even solves some issue i had with the electrical installation work vis-a-vis ceiling accessibility.
    Lets wait for more contributors. ..... Hopefully.
    Thanks allexis,by the time I completed your model I knew I did what was inside you.
    This does not mean I am fit enough to stand where outstanding, big chiefers like scott,djp,lew,mr orguz,tommy bair and others I did not mention here, are live live here. I cannot simply pass without mentioning perries contribution and irritating fun, specially for someone new to the forum ( [perry new members to this forum need care and then fune,joke …….is must! This forum without fun would have been some thing ………..just a suggestion). Alexis my one satisfied u simply because we use east African home styles. May be the method I used is similar locally with yours(Ugandan style) and may be different from those of north America. Clearly I mean this may or may not attract as it attracted you. probably we have got nearly the same or similar socio, tradition and environmental conditions and this is not all but basic parameters that determines home building. Believe me it depends on the eyes of the beholder and that is your view.
    Any way, allex I need to tell you that I am interested to start distance business and then open a branch of my office there in Uganda/keniya. Hopefully you will be welcoming me. And if you don’t its you who told me some of your friends r my type and already contacted …….john.
    Thanks for the appreciation