Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Roof Design

After designing houses for many of my friends for sometime now, all are very excited to see what i i'll design for myself. They seem to forget that its the POCKET that conditions everything. I have come up with this cheap plan that i intend to make real starting end of this year. .... God willing. Over the years i've discovered that the beauty of a house has everything to do with its roof design. Mine is what you see and its why i wanted your input in order to pull off the best. You may fiddle with the house shape a bit but its the roof that i want most. All the top floor is the master Bedroom. Its not complete yet and i had to play around with the heights of the ceilings of all rooms below the masterBR in order to have some slope on the lower floor front roof. Thanx.
    Btw, my stairs failed to reach top floor due to the increase in the ceiling heights. You may help there too.
    Scott, don't ask a lot of questions in case of a video, am not a pro, not even an architect, just a hobbyist. ....LOL....
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is for Alexis "The Ugandan", not to be confused with Alexis "The Czech". Anyway, just piddling around, about 15 minutes, nothing really new, just goofing off. Ain't CA truly International with Ugandans, Ethiopians, Czechs, the Notorious Aussies, etc.

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALE...20CRITIQUE.wmv
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

........ LOL ......... Scott.... will get you someday too. Thanx a bunch anyways. Will be in position to say something about it after downloading and watching first thing tomorrow. Thanx again.

Just watched the vid and thanx Scott.
    Reactions; About the window/wall issue = thats x5 coz they display well in x4. The wall specs are whats used here, brick 5" and a layer of 1" thick plaster (mortar) on both sides to make the 7'' thickness. i'll maybe change the main layer and delete other layers as per your advice.
    The triangular dead space beside dining will be shelved with glass and is intended for decorations and similar stuff. So, there will be glass on the living room side.
    The living room shape is intended and the dining room and library size are ok by our standards, it'll be a 5 people family at most. Me, wife, 2 kids and some maid. The plot is only 52' x 120' and have to reserve some space for other things. Here a standard plot is 50'x100' but its normal to get people cramming everything within a 50'x50' plot sometimes even less. So standards ..... er .... No my dear.
    About the railing walls, on the upper floor, its one of the solutions you gave me in the very first video you made to one of my questions on how to come up with such a wall with railings on top. Its only disadvantage was in the cross-sectional view.
    Otherwise, thanx for the advice and i will consider your roof shape too before decision.
    Am male, and Uganda won only one medal on the very last day in the marathon but was GOLD.
    Lastly, here, money speaks louder than standards. The authority/council or whatever, are not going to look for minor details, more so in a non-public project, once you "cough" something.
    Thanx again for your time.

PART 2 FOR Alexis if he is interested, talking about creating the first floor block walls and the second floor deck guard rail

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/ALE...20PART%202.wmv
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Hi alexis good to know that there is a user from uganda you r likely to be my 1st local user group in east africa. I will just take a look of your home.any thing i shoud say i will post later after i c it. Scot ca is not popular here even thought it is my favourite. I just came to use it accidentally but i really like it and do it. see the local user groups mostly north america. Ca company should make things global just a suggestion on target market area. in ethiopia if you search ca user most likely you may only find yusuf and if you get some one else using it, you may probably get to know he is direcly or indirectly introduced by yusuf. But i like the way ca do things and i am sure i am gona make it popular in the counttry with in a short time. Just only because i like ca cool.for get about this, Enough is said in the user history thread.but By the way i just wanted to participate in the comectial building design exterior contest and i dont know why i still dont c it in the fans of face book album i dont know whats wrong may be first kick should pass through scott. i hope my design idea will not only qualify but every body even scott will like it.(even though, frankly speaking i am afraid u will). Any way plse help, your videos may fix it!
    Thanks for all for every thing u will say.

Scot ca is not popular here even thought it is my favourite
    Are your people nuts, He's the greatest learning tool Chief ever had. Oh and did I forget to say "ITS FREE".
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry:

Yusef was saying that CA is not popular there

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Ya, maybe I read that wrong but its hard to say.Yusuf's posts are sometimes hard to figure out, he should use a spell check. English is probably his 5th language.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Ya, maybe I read that wrong but its hard to say.Yusuf's posts are sometimes hard to figure out, he should use a spell check. English is probably his 5th language.
    Perry, if you knew anything about Ethiopia, you would probably know that Ethiopia has 90 different languages (according to Wikipedia), therefore English would be the 91st language he should know. Hey Yusuf, learn some English, forget the other 90 languages and concentrate on English.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott, sorry again, called you a tool. Sometimes I need english lessons.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    ..............Sometimes I need english lessons.
    Yeah, according to Joe Carrick so do I, hey Yusuf, do you want to take some English lessons with Perry and I, I think Joe might be able to help us out.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Here is a link to my take on your roofs and other matters:

http://youtu.be/cONx9Yh5Zgs

I noticed in looking at some of Yusuf's plans that he also uses lots of custom slabs to represent certain things (nothing "wrong" with that, at all, just different from what I commonly do).

My philosophy is: what works - works and the rest is other's opinion only.

The video shows my take on the roofs. I think Scott found a basic problem with how you assigned your "Main Layer" in your custom walls (main layer should be set to the layer or material that structurally bears the structural loads of a building and sheet rock or plywood are not that good structurally); nobody died, I am just saying...

Setting your default settings so that they agree with what/how you are designing is an important point, doing that saves time and also gets the software "on your side" working for you instead of against you.

I hope this helps you along.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Perry:

Yusef was saying that CA is not popular there

Lew
    lew thanks a friend of mine used to say communication is more important than language. Perry listen to lew otherwise you may hit the wrong turn. i like scots pv fun, at least oppen minded to know and learn any thing new to him and you r right scot its 91th, again comunication is more important than languge"djp" i repeat because perry may not get it. Alexsis please get to learn lessons of djp he will undrstand what you want and those he can solve he will do it in a great manner and the best way that fits u.

My guess is, none of us is from England. They own the language.
    ....lol... Scott, you've done your research about Ethiopia but not quite well, 90 languages also mean 90+ different tribes and English is never very far along the line since it kinda unifies all ..... but i know you were jocking.
    Am just happilly thankful, and a little surprised too that i managed to squeeze a video out of David. He rarely sees need to use that mode. Thanx David. Will give my reaction, if any, after downloading and watching. I like your line of What works-works.
    Scott, how could you even think that i might not be interested in the 2nd video? You want me to repeat Perryh's line of some tool thats free? And btw i concur with him and it was good to learn that you meet those CA guys occassionally. You are the right guy to quiz so that you quiz them directly. You've always understood and answered my questions the best way you could, Yusuf needs to watch more of your videos to know that you never edit them, you take the bull by the horns.
    Thanks Yusuf, these guyz meant to say that you should wotk on your typos. What did you mean by "djp"?