Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

X5 Crashing on Network

Two items:
    1) X5 seems inconsistent in recognizing all of my Network sources. Windows Explorer identifies them every time.
    2) X5 crashes attempting to open a plan on the network both when it does recognize the network drive where my legacy plans are located and if I, alternatively, attempt to open a file through Windows Explorer, after about a 45 second time frame.

Thus, my legacy plans are dead in the water unless I copy/backup to a flash drive to transfer them one by one.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),
    HP dv7 Laptop w/ Windows 7 64 bit
    12 GB, Nvidia GeForce 650M 2 GB Graphics, i7 processor
    Canon IPF 610 Wide Format Printer
    www.GraysonFamilyHomes.com

Sorry to hear that you are having issues.

The dialog for opening plans is supplied by the OS. If it isn't working it seems like that is an issue with the OS not Chief.

I can't think of any reason why opening a plan on a network drive would be any different than opening it locally, short of a networking issue that is out of our control.

Does copying the plan to a local drive work?

Contact our support so we can figure out exactly what is going on.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I'll try the copy plan over network first before trying to open it. I'll also try again to open from within Chief and then take a screen shot if it fails to identify the full network.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

I'm on a network and not crashing. Would it be at all helpful to compare network notes?
    Wendy Lee Welton
    Lic: NH, ME, NY, MA, NCARB

603-431-9559

www.artformarchitecture.com
    www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

I also wonder if that time tested uninstall/reinstall might be something you should try. And - did you beta test prior to this? If so, did you uninstall your prior beta version?
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

I wrote code in 1984 to make my Sinclair 100 - so I used to be a programmer! So I can say with authority how easy it is to program Chief features! ;-)

Doug,

I can copy a plan over the network and it opens fine once it is on the drive where X5 is located.

However, the screen shot attached shows what happens if I try to use Chief X5 to open the file "across" the network without having copied the file from one computer to the other.

I did this after reading your posting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chief crash.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	54336  
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton View Post
    I also wonder if that time tested uninstall/reinstall might be something you should try. And - did you beta test prior to this? If so, did you uninstall your prior beta version?
    I was not on beta testing this year, so my install is the original download from the locker.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

Quote Originally Posted by lgc30642 View Post
    I was not on beta testing this year, so my install is the original download from the locker.
    Ah, then give tech support a call, as Doug suggests. I've been working across my network for months without incident, including all day today after installing this public beta.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

This sound's like it is just very slow and if you let it run long enough it would complete. Some things that we do in our files depend on random access to the file which can be very slow over a network. I'm not sure this is the case, but it could be.

Network access for IO can be more than 100 times slower than on your local machine.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Doug, I was able to get some time today for a further test of the networking problem that I am having.

I have three laptops and one desktop that are all networked together. I have X4 on two of the laptops........my older machine and the new one I purchased a month ago specifically to use for Chief. I have downloaded X5 only to my new machine. Obviously, I had to deactivate the license on the newer laptop in order to activate the one on the older laptop to verify that X4 on the older laptop could open files across the network to the newer set of files on the newer laptop.

Chief X5 WILL NOT open any plan that I have in existence on my older laptop. However, X4 on the older laptop easily opens any plan that I have on the new laptop provided I haven't already opened it in X5......to be expected in that case of a newer version having been created.

I don't have a lot of software/programs on the newer laptop as yet, but every such program that I do have, other than Chief, opens files from the older laptop without fail or exception. Thus, through my process of elimination, ONLY CHIEF ARCHITECT X5 is failing to open files across the network.

In EVERY instance of attempting to open a plan in X5, the program hangs up. I have waited as long as five (5) minutes for X5 to respond and open a plan across the network. Task Manager shows that Chief is NOT RESPONDING even after that length of time.

Clearly, the only program that I have that DOES NOT open a plan across my network is Chief X5 on the new laptop. The older laptop opens files across the network with the newer laptop. The newer laptop opens all files to the older laptop, other than Chief Architect files. It CRASHES each and evey time. I don't know how more plain I can be about it.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

Louie,

This sounds like a sharing or permissions problem to me. Make sure that your account on each system has rights to the folders on all of the other systems. It can get really tricky sometimes. Also check the "Permissions" for all shared network folders from each system on the Network.

Windows 7 has IMO made this more difficult than before.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

With all the testing I've done, I haven't found a permissions problem. All of my Chief documents are in the My Documents folder, and so, too, are other files that I can access without difficulty.

Thanks for the suggestion, and I will double-check it one more time.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

I remain hopeful that my network issue can be figured out.

The following programs on my new laptop CAN SUCCESSFULLY open files across my network from the older laptop: Adobe Acrobat, Paint Shop Pro, MS Word 2010, Any Video Recorder, Sketchup 8, Windows Movie Maker. All of these programs have no problem with "permissions" gaining access in either direction across the network.

The only program that I have on my newer laptop that WILL NOT open a file across the network to files on my older laptop is Chief X4 and Chief X5.

I have downloaded X5 to my older laptop. It SUCCESSFULLY opens files across the network on my newer laptop and opens X5 files with no problem.

This is a one-way problem with only one program, Chief Architect. This is true with both the 32 bit and 64 bit installations.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),

Louie,

You really do need to call technical support. It may be looking for a resource file it's not finding. It could be any number of things. They will know how to talk you through checking what's happening behind the scenes and get to the root of the problem.
    Wendy Lee Welton

603-431-9559

www.artformhomeplans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton View Post
    Louie,

You really do need to call technical support. It may be looking for a resource file it's not finding. It could be any number of things. They will know how to talk you through checking what's happening behind the scenes and get to the root of the problem.
    I certainly plan on doing that on Monday. I've tried everything that I can think of along with following the suggestions made by you and the others.

Thanks. I hope you have a great weekend.
    Louie Carter
    X5/X4/X3(since Ver 4.0),