Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chain link fencing

I have tried to use the chain link fencing from the library. It was not a pretty picture. First, when I tried to just drag the fence along the property line but it does not put the intermediate post in at 96" OC. So I try to transform replicate. This works ok but the property is not at 90deg so I select multiple copies. This sorta works but you end up with double post on every copy. To top it all off the gate only works if there is a wall there! I had to do a work around and forget the library items. I had to use a cylinder from the library for the top rail, half wall as a railing with balusters at 96" OC. then put the gate in. The fence fabric was from a png pattern I had in stock. Why put a gate in the library if it does not work with the fence? Why not make the fence an easy item with no work around? Chain link fence is a very common item when doing site plans. Maybe in ver 5?

Did you try making it as a railing wall with the Chain Link as the Panel?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joe, thanks for the suggestion. I will try this and hope it saves me some time. My comment on the uselessness of the library items still stands. Why put it in there if it does not work or intuitive to the user?

Quote Originally Posted by rgwhite View Post
    Joe, thanks for the suggestion. I will try this and hope it saves me some time. My comment on the uselessness of the library items still stands. Why put it in there if it does not work or intuitive to the user?
    You must be doing something wrong. The chain length fences work perfectly for me, but I would never use them because they take forever to create in 3D. The solution I believe is a CHAIN LENGTH TEXTURE that I believe Pat the 3D Diva has.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Joe's suggestion should work. And there are a lot of items in the library that fit your description, but they're not really meant to be used as standalone items. Cabinet doors for example, door hardware, windows, mouldings, etc. They need to be used through the appropriate DBX, and for the reasons they were created in the first place.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

They need to be used through the appropriate DBX, and for the reasons they were created in the first place.

Chain link gate won't fit in the chain link fence? Because is was not meant for this? Have I missed something? When I look at or use ANY program the one thing look for is how intuitive it is. Has CA been made aware of this or any similar problems and what would be their response?

This works exactly as it should.

To create a Chain Link Fence you simply create a Railing Wall and set it as a "Panel". Then select the Panel Type fro the Library.

Next in the Library select the type of Gate you want and place it in the "Railing Wall".
    The Fence in Chief is a Wall and the Gate is a Door. It's that simple.

You can open the Fence(Wall) dbx and adjust the Posts (Newels) and the materials as needed. The attached pic show a Chain Link Fence with a gate that took me about 45 seconds to create.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chain Link Fence.JPG 
Views:	674 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	54216  
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Chain link gate won't fit in the chain link fence? Because is was not meant for this? Have I missed something? When I look at or use ANY program the one thing look for is how intuitive it is. Has CA been made aware of this or any similar problems and what would be their response?
    Again, its not a problem. Simply a side effect. Those items need to be located in the library. It doesn't mean they should be pulled directly from the library though. Joe summed it up pretty well in his last post.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

It doesn't mean they should be pulled directly from the library though

so how does one know the difference ???

Is there an indicator or a warning or ???

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    It doesn't mean they should be pulled directly from the library though

so how does one know the difference ???

Is there an indicator or a warning or ???

Lew
    Do you not know the answer??

No, there is no warning

Its not that you can't use those items directly from the library, it's just that you usually shouldn't because there's a better way.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

ahh !!!, so its a catch-22

you gotta know it - to know it ....

well, that's what this forum is good for

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

That's right
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

I see the point. Some of the items in the library can be pulled directly from the library and others are for use to modify other items, such as walls. Where in the user manual does it inform us of which ones are which? Are we on our own to try to figure this out on our own? In my opinion there should at least be a pop up window (or something) to inform a user of which ones are which. Thank goodness for this forum.

Actually, the Library access is often limited to those items that would be appropriate. Some Examples:

If you insert a door in a wall and then select that door and the "Library" option from the Door dbx Chief will limit your selection to Doors.

If you select a Molding Polyline and the add a molding from Library your selectionwill be limited to 2D Molding Profiles and 3D Molding Symbols.

Most of the items in the Library are Symbols that are assigned a specific category and have specific behaviors. Once you have learned the basics of Chief you will recognize what items are appropriate and how to make your own Library Items to function as you want them to.

It's important to understand Chief's main components:

1. Rooms
    2. Walls
    3. Doors
    4. Windows
    5. Cabinets
    6. Appliances
    7. Fixtures (Interior and Exterior)
    8. Moldings (2D Profiles and 3D Symbols)

There are many more but those are the main ones and once you've mastered how they work you will be able to make Chief sing. It's just a matter of learning the basics well.
    Windows 8.1

ps: The experts here have been using Chief for many years and we're still learning. I don't think there's any way that CA could document all the fine points but there are many articles, videos and discussions in ChiefTalk that can help.
    Windows 8.1