Hybrid View

I'll say this about my experience with Vectorworks and light experience with ArchiCAD, and my research into Revit....vs Chief.

Those apps let you do almost anything if you put the time into the projects - and there are much fewer "glitches" along the way - a clear path to follow to completion (albeit longer). Chief seeks to create THEIR intuitive line to follow in completion of a plan set (quicker), and if what you are working on doesn't match their prescriptive method or schedule - you could be in big trouble. There is a Chief doctorate program that is this forum, and many of the "professors" here have solutions to get you through those problems, but it is many times a work-around approach. I think most of us here on a regular basis are trying to see other user's issues and see the solutions played out so we can learn every bit there is to know. It takes some time, but it is worth it. There is even some general value to simply interacting with others in the same profession.

That said, if you are producing a "typical" house plan set that you see in most neighborhoods - its hard to imagine a better app that Chief. If you are drawing/modeling Frank Gehry look-a-likes, Chief isn't the app for you. The only reason I would consider ArchiCAD over Chief is the nagging feeling I know can't complete every project type. I feel better having Vectorworks in my toolbox as well for just that situation. I'm sure Richard feels the same about ArchiCAD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	60162  
    X5
    i7-3930k Dell XPS - 16GB Ram
    (2) 30" Dell 3008WFP Monitors
    Wacom 24HD