Hybrid View

Wow, didn't think there would be a problem with schedules, was under the impression schedules and material lists were some of the strong suits.

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any intelligence when it comes to titles, call out links, etc but thought I was perhaps missing some macro knowledge or such. I actually find the whole detailing very confusing and assuming I'm doing it wrong, but every time I create a detail from a view (by zooming in on the portion I want) it copies the whole cross section to the detail. I then have to erase everything that was outside of my view. I know, told you I was doing it wrong. Haven't found any call-out bubbles yet so I did it like this, will dig deeper.

Biggest problem with changing software is that one is set on certain ways and only looking at what seems better in the new toy. I really like Chief so far, but some things are, should I say "interesting", like setting wall heights via a room definitíon. I can't find a way to define levels either so I assume the concept doesn't exist in the same form as AC/Revit.

Funny, just realized the thread was Chief vs Autocad, and not Archicad!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BuilderBen View Post
    I actually find the whole detailing very confusing and assuming I'm doing it wrong, but every time I create a detail from a view (by zooming in on the portion I want) it copies the whole cross section to the detail. I then have to erase everything that was outside of my view. I know, told you I was doing it wrong. Haven't found any call-out bubbles yet so I did it like this, will dig deeper.
    If there is one thing I would recommend you learn from the get go is to use CAD to View as infrequently as possible. This is almost always a waste of time in the long run and is one of the first indications that you are not using the program the way it was intended to, or should be, used. And I can say this with a lot of confidence because I did the same thing for way too long and have watched users come and go from here that have been through the same process. Learn how to model things properly and Chief and you will rarely need View to CAD. Absolutely do not use it for sections, and for detailing only proprietary instances that you can't take care of with more standard, "canned" details. A lot of detailing can be done annotating "live" views of the model using filled polylines as "screens" to not show what you don't want to show.

Bryce Engstrom: Architect, LEED AP
    www.engstromarchitecture.com
    Chief X6 Beta
    Sketchup Pro 6, Free 8, Thea Render, Lumion
    Chief to Kerkythea & Thea Render Converter