Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    ORBIT is offline Registered User Promoted

Chief Vs Autocad

Hi Guys
    I have been using Autocad for Architectural drafting for around 4 years. I do mostly residential projects either a full build or renovation. We do a lot of Kitchens and bathrooms. I have had a look at Revit and Archicad but to be honest it looks like a steep learning curve.
    Can you tell me if Chief would be a better option and easier to learn than Revit or Archicad for the type of stuff we do.
    Like I said we do a lot of interior work mainly Kitchens, Bathrooms and small offices, and we need the perspectives etc to show clients.

Thanks All

Quote Originally Posted by ORBIT View Post
    Hi Guys
    I have been using Autocad for Architectural drafting for around 4 years. I do mostly residential projects either a full build or renovation. We do a lot of Kitchens and bathrooms. I have had a look at Revit and Archicad but to be honest it looks like a steep learning curve.
    Can you tell me if Chief would be a better option and easier to learn than Revit or Archicad for the type of stuff we do.
    Like I said we do a lot of interior work mainly Kitchens, Bathrooms and small offices, and we need the perspectives etc to show clients.

Thanks All
    Nuts, no discussion needed, CA blows ACAD away and for residential work as you describe, CA blows Revit away. Was that statement clear enough? Do I know what I am talking about? I think so. Talk to someone who uses Revit and he/she may disagree, but I bet I could blow them away with CA.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

absolutely i agree with Dshall. There is simply no comparison in preparing perspective drawings between the two. Chief does require a "build orientated" thought process, which can take a little while to get used to, but once learned...well, the lack of answers to your question speak for themselves...there's nothing to say, its a complete no brainer!

In life there are at least 3 absolutes...rain, taxes, and free advice from "self acclaimed experts"!:Sly:

ORBIT is offline Registered User Promoted
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for your replies.
    I’m kinda glad you confirmed that as when I opened a trial of Revit and Archicad, I was thinking, this is going to be a steep learning curve for me, and I may be doing the wrong thing. I opened Chief, and I must admit it did seem more user friendly.
    Are the 2d capabilities of Chief as good as Autocad for plans and elevations, and is the dimensioning feature of Chief as good?
    When I mentioned we do a lot of Kitchens and bathrooms, we have also tried numerous specific kitchen design software packages, some costing over 10 grand. None of them seem to give you a professional looking drawing. I am very particular that my drawings look professional, and I do take pride in what I do. Does Chief have excellent Kitchen and bathroom design facilities? Are you able to design the Kitchen and Bathroom and produce all the cabinet, panel lists for the factory to manufacture?
    Sorry for all the questions guys, but I am going to have to make a decision on this over the next few weeks, otherwise the Bim thing is going to leave me in the dust.
    By the way, when is the latest version X5 going to be released?
    Thanks
    Orb

Orb:

while Chief is Bim oriented it is not compliant with industry BIM standards

Chief X5 is due in the fall

but if you buy X4 with the annual SSA option any/all updates are included
    that are released during that annual period

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

No, you can't detail all the cabinet pieces with CA.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

chief architect is a powerful drafting software, specially for those staff u said and more. attached is a minor residence i did with in few hours using chief. scott may do it in minutes using ca. i advise u to use chiefarchitect which is very easy to learn, but what matters is ur creativity no matter how far u r perfect in using the tools of a software! any one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ib1.jpg 
Views:	1095 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	54104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ib4.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	54105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibr pic1.jpg 
Views:	832 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	54106  

There goes Chief.
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5

aaa...aa cool, not u
    scotttttt! puda vida fun
    thanks

Hey Yusuf "The Ethiopian", didn't a fellow country woman win the women's marathon at the Olympics? CONGRATS to the Ethiopians!
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Orbit,
    For me, one of the strongest points of Chief is kitchens,baths and cabinetry.
    Revit has some useful tools for renovation/remodeling that Chief doesn't, but you can't design a kitchen in Revit as easy as you could do in Chief. You may require some plug-ins.
    Chief is what you need. There will be important new features and improvements for kitchen and bath designers in Chief X5, so you may want to wait until at least X5 Public Beta version is released to see if it really meets your requirements.
    However as Scott said, it's not easy to draw all the manufacturing details of your cabinets with Chief. There must be more specialized programs on cabinet manufacturing such as this one: http://www.cabinetpro.com/
    Alternatively you may use Chief and Autocad collaboratively for manufacturing details.
    Also you asked if Chief's 2D capabilities are as good as Autocad's. Frankly my answer is no. If you want to switch to half-BIM or BIM programs such as Chief,Revit,Archicad,etc. then you shouldn't expect Autocad level CAD capabilities.
    H.Ozgur G.
    X5 Premium, Autocad, 3D Studio Max Design & V-Ray, Revit, Piranesi 2010, Lumion Pro 3.0,
    My Vimeo Page: https://vimeo.com/ozgurg/videos

Quote Originally Posted by portrait View Post
    Also you asked if Chief's 2D capabilities are as good as Autocad's. Frankly my answer is no. If you want to switch to half-BIM or BIM programs such as Chief,Revit,Archicad,etc. then you shouldn't expect Autocad level CAD capabilities.
    I agree with Ozgar on this statement, I do not know for sure since I have never used ACAD, but from what I have heard he is correct. However.......... I have found that if CA is used correctly, CAD is not a top priority, or should I say it is nowhere near as important as the 3D capabilities . When I use CA, I try to have as little CAD work as possible. I am assuming as CA matures, the CAD tools will improve, but until then, they are more than adequate for my needs.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

CA has stated that one of their goals is to be able to create the model in 2D/3D and then generate the CD's from there.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I am a Kitchen & Bath designer and I researched Revit, AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD, and several others. Even though I was trained in AutoCAD in school, I chose Chief Architect for work. It is so much easier to use. The libraries are all set up for you, but you can add custom items and import CAD drawings. I can import .dwg and .dxf files from architects. CA continues to focus on the NKBA market which means more and better features for Kitchen & Bath designers. There is CAD available as well which I often use for specific details I want to show. The support is also amazing. Whenever I run into a question I have numerous places to search for answers including this forum and Tech Support. I can't say enough good things about Chief Architect!
    Susan C
    X5 Premier
    X4, X3
    MacBook Pro 15"

Thanks man, ethiopian long distance runners always do that. U may know gebre silase well in world wide 10,000m run. Thanks again, ethiopians r proad of thier few effective athlets!