Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Roof help?

Thanks -- you guys are the best! I'm glad this was an interesting challenge -- definitely wasn't something I'd ever run across before.

I want to watch the videos and take the time to understand what you guys did to create this doorway. But I'm pressed for time on this project, so for now I just grabbed David's beautiful symbol and ran with it. See the beautiful result in the attached image.

Now I have to figure out how to put a roof on this baby. Roofs are not exactly my strong suit either (did I mention I do RENDERINGS???), but you learn by doing -- and I'm learning a lot! But I may be yelling for some more help soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front facade with door.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	53846  
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Kathleen,

How do you like this? I think it's closer to what you were looking for.

Name:	Arched Doorway RT.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	53849  
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Kathleen,

How do you like this? I think it's closer to what you were looking for.
    Nice job JC, did you make the casing (outer trim) out of the library casing or is that part of your symbol? IOW, can you edit the type of casing or is it part of the symbol?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Nice job JC, did you make the casing (outer trim) out of the library casing or is that part of your symbol? IOW, can you edit the type of casing or is it part of the symbol?
    It's not a part of the symbol. The casing is CA-30 (Window Casing) sized to 16" wide x 4" deep. I wish we could use multiple moldings for casings which would make it possible to do custom built-up profiles with different materials.

I did use a couple of extra moldings as a part of the symbol - the 2 "stucco" surfaces just outside of the wood arch.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-26-2012 at 05:46 AM.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

That's beautiful too, Jim! Can you send it to me as an X4 symbol?
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Quote Originally Posted by dr0591 View Post
    That's beautiful too, Jim! ................
    Hey Joe, when did you change you name to Jim?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Joe, Jim -- what's the big difference?

[Sorry -- of course I know who you are Jeff!]
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Joe, Jim -- what's the big difference?

[Sorry -- of course I know who you are Jeff!]
    I think the difference is the spelling, but I have called Jeff much worse names on the golf course.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

That's beautiful too, Joe! Can you send it to me as an X4 symbol?
    See Post #40. That has the Doorway Symbol. I'll post the half Arch door in about an hour. I don't have it on this computer so I'll do it as soon as I get to the office.
    Windows 8.1

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    I wish we could use multiple moldings for casings which would make it possible to do custom built-up profiles with different materials
    Joe

If I am understanding you correctly, I believe that can be done now. The attached pic is something that I have been working on with the Solid Primative Face tool.

The profile was placed from the Library and converted to a Face object and then Revolved. Materials can be applied to this just like any other object.

You have to use your imagination with the pic I provided, since this is a sinlge profile, but the idea is the same. You would just do it as many times as needed, or combine 2D profiles.

This provides the ability to do a lot more in the way of custom contours when creating 3D Solids. Still no way that I know of to do a Rail or other types of Sweeps though. That would open a whole new capability to Chief that I for one would love to see.

Anyway, this may be another way to get what you are after.

I have not tried to apply a custom profile like this to a door symbol yet. Mostly been working on the technicals of getting it done. Be interesting to see how this works.

But, I have found the Revolve and Extrude edit tools can actually do quite a few things that are still very interesting once you have a 3D Face.

Edit: I mostly see the Extrude edit tool being of use here for providing a clean fast way to add contours to the Rays. If there were contours provided, I did't see them. I have been kicking around the idea of actually creating a door using traditional style and rail shaper contours. That would be more detail than generally required, but still kind of neat that Chief can do that.

Name:	2D Library Profile as 3D Primative Face.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	53852  
    Last edited by rcole; 07-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

Rod,

Way to much work for my purposes.
    Windows 8.1

Kathleen,

Here's the Door to go with the Doorway.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Windows 8.1

Thanks, Joe!!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Thanks for all your help with this, everyone. I got my project finished on time and the client was very pleased. I'm proud to say I was able to do the roof myself without further assistance -- with all manual roof planes.

Chieftalk is such a fantastic resource. Please let me know if I can help you out in return.

Name:	Front view TR1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	53900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back view TR1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	53901  
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render