Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof help?

One of the things that I found during this exercise is that the "Y" origin value of both the Doorway Symbol and the Door Symbol itself have to be adjusted so that the Doorway fits flush to the outside of the wall and the Door fits flush to the inside of the Doorway.

It's kind of strange but that's the way it works.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

You guys are awesome! Thanks for trying to figure this out.

Joe, I tried to open the plan you posted, but it told me it was created in a newer version of Chief than I have. Are you an X5 beta tester, and did you create this plan in X5? Because my version of X4 is up to date.
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Hi Kathleen,

Sorry about that. Yes, it's a Beta plan - if you really need this I can probably recreate it in X4 but it'll take me some time. What I did was to create a 2D Molding PLine (U shape 6' wide and 10' tall with a 3' radius arc at the top.) and added moldings to get all the frames as well as the glass and stone covered outside perimeter. The bottom panels below the windows and the mullions are just primitive boxes.

I did all this in Plan View, then block it and rotate the block to a vertical position before using "Create Symbol" to make the Doorway Symbol.

Making a half arch door symbol is a similar process.

ps: I think that the public beta will be out within a week or so - if you have SSA ......
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Yeppers, JC did it. Nice job JC. Golf at Encinitas Ranch next Thursday Aug. 2nd at 2:30, I have a call in to the Brucetermeister to see if he can join us, Hope this works for you, earliest twilight time I could get..... twilight, yep, I am ALMOST as cheap as you.

Anyway, I do not think I can do what JC just did, but I will learn how to do it between the 1st & 7th tee box............... after that I am usually 3 sheets to the wind. And then I will do a video on the process................... a standing "O" for the great JC. Here is a link to the video.

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/DR%...20PART%201.wmv
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

I'll pay for my own golf if you change the tee time to 12 or 12:30
    I can even get JC rates for you and Bruce.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-25-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

I'll pay for my own golf if you change the tee time to 12 or 12:30
    Sorry Joe, I have Bruce locked in now and he likes the twilight rates too, if it does not work for you, I can work on a different date for the round I owe you. Let me know, thanks.............
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

To answer your questions:

1. The PLine, Moldings and Solids are in the Plan - "Freestanding Object" which is what I converted to the Doorway Symbol. All of those settings that you were looking at have been in Chief for several versions - it's nothing new. The opening and the Plan dimensions should be the same which will fix the "messy" thing you found in the plan.

The door that I use is in fact one that I created 1/2 the total opening width (72/2=36") and the height I set at 10' but I actually had to change it in the symbol sizing to 80" so it would fill my opening. I think there's a little more tweaking to do on my Symbols to make them totally work together but that's about it.
    Windows 8.1

A few more notes:

The strange thing with the arch can be fixed simply by selecting the arch tab in the doorway dbx and making sure it's set to "Round Top" and then select OK.

The framing will also depend on the vertical dimensions in the Symbol dbx on the "Opening Tab" which seem to default to a much too steep an angle thus cutting out the header and even the top plate. I like to set those heights so that I have about a 45 degree angle - takes a bit of experimenting.
    Windows 8.1

Thumbs up Joe - Your-a-genius

That was fun, I actually wanted to try that after seeing all those pics. That is one sweet entry.

Here is what I came up with using Joe's Method, except I did everything in elevation view so I did not have to play around with the X-Y-Z. (It hurts my little brain)

The doors I used are the default doors from chief, so Kathleen - you can use any door you want for there. Or just make custom ones, just drag them right to the middle of the doorway I made.

Thanks Joe -

CHIEF FILE X4: http://www.davidmichaeldesigns.com/D...DzDoorwayD.zip

D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneview2_dmdz.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	53839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneview_dmdz.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	53840  
    David Michael
    - David Michael Designs
    - email: davidmichaeldesigns@gmail.com

- Chief X5 User started with 9.5 - Windows 7
    - Free Chief Symbols
    - CHIEF ARCHITECT TRAINING VIDEOS ONLINE FOR FREE - ChiefTutor.com

Here's the Arched Doorway Symbol in X4
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by DMDz View Post
    The doors I used are the default doors from chief, so Kathleen - you can use any door you want for there. Or just make custom ones, just drag them right to the middle of the doorway I made.

Thanks Joe -

D
    David,

How did you get the stock doors to form the Arch? I can't seem to get that to work. Maybe it has something to do with the height. My doorway arch springs from 7' so it's actually above the top of the standard doors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by DMDz View Post
    That was fun, I actually wanted to try that after seeing all those pics. That is one sweet entry.

Here is what I came up with using Joe's Method, except I did everything in elevation view so I did not have to play around with the X-Y-Z. (It hurts my little brain)

Thanks Joe -

D
    Once in awhile one of the true great CA users makes an appearance, thanks David Michael, you may have stolen my thunder. I will post a video soon displaying my incompetance............ maybe the Great David Michael will also do a video explaining HIS/JC's method. And again a big thanks to Dr. K for asking the question.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott,

Before placing the Doorway make sure your default windows are set as fixed. That will eliminate the extra vertical mullion in the plan view. I think this is something that CA needs to fix. I'm putting together a list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doorway Plan.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	53842  
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

Before placing the Doorway make sure your default windows are set as fixed. That will eliminate the extra vertical mullion in the plan view. I think this is something that CA needs to fix. I'm putting together a list.
    Nice, thanks JC.......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX