Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof help?

Roof help?

Does anyone have the time and inclination to help me with a fairly complex roof? I've already gotten some help but parts of it are still not quite right.

The project is a remodel of a townhouse end unit. The roof planes abut another section of the building on one side (which isn't shown in the plan I'm working on). I have the architect's complete plan set, and also a Google satellite image showing the configuration of the whole townhouse building.

Let me know if you'd be willing to give this a shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof overview.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	53815  
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

castleview3d.com | (585) 520-4329 | kathleen.moore@castleview3d.com
    Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

Give me a call and I will help, 619-200-1623
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

or post the plan and I will do a quick vid.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott, thanks for your offer -- Jim Lawes emailed me and offered to help, so I sent the plans to him. I'll let you know how everything turns out!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Follow us on: Facebook | LinkedIn | Houzz | Pinterest | Blog: "Life Should Be 3D"

But here's something entirely different that maybe you can help with, Scott!

How would you go about creating this entry door with the rounded sidelight, and the three windows above the door? Any suggestions for me on how to approach this? I have no idea how to make Chief doors and windows do this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entry doors and windows.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	53825  
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Quote Originally Posted by dr0591 View Post
    But here's something entirely different that maybe you can help with, Scott!

How would you go about creating this entry door with the rounded sidelight, and the three windows above the door? Any suggestions for me on how to approach this? I have no idea how to make Chief doors and windows do this.
    The 3 windows aren't a problem...... Custom loaded MUTINS. The window around the door I will have to think about.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I suppose for the door I would do an arched opening and then create the door and window with psoids etc. and then turn into a symbol (maybe a door) and plop it in place.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

But the more I think about the door situation, I believe there are some TRANSOME/SIDELIGHT symbols in the library. What are those? If you can create one of those.... With your design, I would lke to think you could plop in a real door unit. I have never tried this, I might have to look into it.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Maybe the key is creating the arched TRANSOME with psolids, turn it into a SYMBOL/DOORWAY, put it in the wall and then add the doors....... I think that is it! Hey, great question Dr. K. I will give it a try in the am.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Thanks, Scott -- you're the best!
    Kathleen Moore
    Chief X6 | X5 | X4 | X3
    Thea Render

Quote Originally Posted by dr0591 View Post
    Thanks, Scott -- you're the best!
    I will pass your sentiments onto my wife, I need to reminder her of this more times than I would like.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Maybe the key is creating the arched TRANSOME with psolids, turn it into a SYMBOL/DOORWAY, put it in the wall and then add the doors....... I think that is it! Hey, great question Dr. K. I will give it a try in the am.
    This did not work. So the question is, how did CA create the DOORWAY/ENTRYWAY/WITH TRANSOM symbols that are in the library. Does anybody know?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

rcole is offline Registered User Promoted
    Very likely the symbols were created in another solid modeling program.

The reason I purchased TurboCAD years ago was because I came to believe that many of the symbols that were supplied by Chief were originally developed in that program.

I have not looked that closely at what you are trying to accomplish, but I have found that the solid tools in Chief will actually do more than I have given them credit for. Things like sweeping profiles along a path are some of the things that Chief solids are not capable of at this time. At least not so far as I know of. That is why I use other programs along with Chief.

Sorry I am not able to be of more help. If I can find the time I will look into this more closely.
    Last edited by rcole; 07-25-2012 at 06:33 AM.
    Rod Cole
    V2 thru X5

Many chiefers use Sketchup for creating symbols

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Kathleen,

I believe Spencer did a door like that. I actually think that it can be created with Chief's Create Symbol Tool. I'll give it a try sometime today and let you know what I find.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium