Hybrid View

ray trace goes black @ 70%

Here is a new one for me. I am in X4 and raytracing a simple street scene.
    no matter what size I make it, it seems to go completely black @ around 70% complete. I tried with/without photons, a size down to 250x500, you name it. The biggest dilemma is that I raytraced this scene at least 5 or 6 times in the past week and it always worked. I am at a loss. Hope someone can help. The only thing that was different between the two is that I removed a traffic light pole.

Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera test 6.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	3.6 KB 
ID:	53610  

No Light. Is the sun turn on?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Another thing to check is if you have at least one room. If there's no room in the plan Chief might not be able to figure out what kind of light to provide and lacking any light source that you place it might not have any at all.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

What are your computer spec's and video card?
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Ill check sun. I do not have a room either so I will look into both. My rendering is of a road, sidewalk, trees, and polygon solids that make up existing buildings. The issue I have is that last week it worked. In fact when I do a low res rendering I can see the raytrace on the screen until around 70 %. then it goes black.

Anthony

It worked before because you had at least 1 light.

Scott had a challenge a year or so ago with a very similar situation. It was in fact a "Night" scene and even with spotlights it was a problem. I believe that the solution was to create room (either out of camera or with "Invisible Walls" - which told Chief that the camera was outdoors and to use the lights in order for the Ray Trace to work.

I might not have this exactly correct, but that's what I remember.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-15-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Windows 8.1

rookie mistake

WOW I feel embarrassed. I forgot to realize that all my street lamps are defaulted to "ON". Being there was nothing to bounce off of I guess it showed as black. I shut them all off and now it works. So sorry to take up your time.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    It worked before because you had at least 1 light.

Scott had a challenge a year or so ago with a very similar situation. It was in fact a "Night" scene and even with spotlights it was a problem. I believe that the solution was to create room (either out of camera or with "Invisible Walls" - which told Chief that the camera was outdoors and to use the lights in order for the Ray Trace to work.

I might not have this exactly correct, but that's what I remember.
    I think you are right Joe, I had to create a room, thanks for the reminder. Now I forget if it mattered if the outdoor scene was in a room or whether the room could be five miles away.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall