Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't use more than 8 light sources

I'm new to this software and I need some help...

The light sources appear to be inserting into the model, but it looks like to me that Chief cannot raytrace an image with more than a few light sources. If I add house lights, it ignores the sunlight and ambient light, etc. In the program preferences it says my video card has a max light count of 8.

I don’t really know the mechanics of how it works, sorry if what I said isn’t helpful.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I need to create drawings with 16+ lights. Is this a video card issue, if so what card do I need as a starting point. I might want to buy a card that will last a while too.

Thanks

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joesstlouis View Post
    I'm new to this software and I need some help...

The light sources appear to be inserting into the model, but it looks like to me that Chief cannot raytrace an image with more than a few light sources. If I add house lights, it ignores the sunlight and ambient light, etc. In the program preferences it says my video card has a max light count of 8.

I don’t really know the mechanics of how it works, sorry if what I said isn’t helpful.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I need to create drawings with 16+ lights. Is this a video card issue, if so what card do I need as a starting point. I might want to buy a card that will last a while too.

Thanks

Joe
    Can not do it, 8 lights max.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

So 8 is the max regardless of the video card? What about the fact that it can't raytrace more than a couple of light sources?

Some (not many)video cards will allow more lights. You can have lots of lights in your plan. Chief just uses the 8 lights in that room.
    Last edited by perryh; 07-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

You can only Raytrace a "Rendered View" and according to the Docs:

Lighting

In most rendered views, lighting is calculated on a room-by-room basis; only the light sources in the room containing the camera are used. This limitation does not apply in ray trace views, however.

When the camera is outside a building, the program normally uses sunlight for lighting calculations and turns off all other light sources. You can turn the sunlight off and use all the other exterior lights to simulate night time views.

The maximum number of light sources that can be turned on in a view at the same time is determined by your video card. If your video card’s maximum number of lights is eight, the program only uses the eight light sources closest to the camera’s position. You can manually turn on and off individual lights in order to get the desired lighting effects. See Displaying Lights.

Each individual light source has a set of Rendering properties, such as intensity and color, that can be defined. See Light Data Tab.

So, it's a function of the Video Card for Rendered Views but maybe not for Ray Traces.

I don't know for sure but there may be Cards that will support more than 8 lights.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-10-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

FWIW, Ray Traces are done by the CPU, not the Video Card. Evidently the reason that you need to have a Rendered View active in order to Ray
    Trace is just so there's a camera position, angle and field of view.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

will your card allow you more than 8 Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by joesstlouis View Post
    will your card allow you more than 8 Joe?
    No, but as I said....

If it's a Ray Trace it doesn't matter. You can turn on all the lights you want just before you start the Ray Trace. Video Card is not a limit for that, only for the the "render view".
    Windows 8.1

there are video cards that can have more than 8 lights

bu they cost $$$

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Joe S,

You may want to simulate lights being on and increase the ambient light for the room. If you set the color of the lights(the lens color that is) to be highly emmissive (material properities) it looks like it is on. THe more lights actually on the slower the ray trace. THe render view may look toobright but the ray trace view will probably not be as bright. YOuhave to experiment to get what you want. Rendering and ray tracing are sort of art forms that take practice. I have converted to using sunlight set tocome through windows and higher ambient light and use less in the way of actual lights being on. Sometimes you can insert a 3D point light that does not show in render view but works in ray traces and renders. Usually set it at about 48" above floor and not too bright. JUst enaough to lighten up an area that may be too dark.
    Dennis Gavin CR, CKBR
    Gavin Design-Build
    Media, PA.
    610-353-8890
    X5

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    No, but as I said....

If it's a Ray Trace it doesn't matter. You can turn on all the lights you want just before you start the Ray Trace. Video Card is not a limit for that, only for the the "render view".
    I think what Joe is saying is...... you must understand the difference between RENDER & RAYTRACE. Joe I believe has corrected me and he has stated that a RAYTRACE recognizes all lights (unlimited), however a RENDER will only recognize 8 LIGHTS MAX. Is this correct Joe?
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yes Scott, that's true.

Here's a Ray Trace with 20 lights. If I were to do just a Render View with Shadows it would only use 8 lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ray Trace with 20 lights.JPG 
Views:	204 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	53515  
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-10-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Windows 8.1

however a RENDER will only recognize 8 LIGHTS MAX

Scott:

a render in chief will recognize as many lights as the video card can support

this is usually a max of 8

some video cards can have more than 8 lights

I doubt if there are any 'modern" cards on the market that have less than 8 lights

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Hi everyone,
    I'm experiencing the same thing with an 8 light limit which is in BOTH rendering and ray tracing. I'm using X5. I would think they would have overcome this limitation by now. I also can't find anywhere on video card manufacturer's website anything about maximum number of 'lights' they can display. Any updates would be appreciated! Thanks so much.
    Chris P.

Chris P,

If you go Preferences...Render...Video Card Status, it will tell you the number of lights that the video card supports.

On the Light Data tab, you need to make sure the light is turned ON and that is checked to be used in both Camera View
    and Ray Tracing - I think these are the default settings.

Have a look at Adjust Lights - you can control the lights from there.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD