Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why are railing walls "no locate" by default??

I know I can change the setting, but just curious why Chief has railings as "no locate" by default?? I can't think of any reasons for this.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    I know I can change the setting, but just curious why Chief has railings as "no locate" by default?? I can't think of any reasons for this.
    duh. why indeed?
    Jintu E.P. Montego
    info@jintudesigns.com
    jintu@cadexpress.biz

X5
    Triweekly rendering updates on facebook

--------------
    Windows 7 Home Premium - 64bit
    Processor: 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHZ 8MB (Ivy Bridge)
    Mobo: ASUS P8H77 - MLE
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 PC1333 Kingston ( 2x4GB)
    Hard Disk: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
    Video Card: 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD6670 DDR5

Thanks for bringing it up Alaskan Son, it's been bugging me for years and It's one of the many pet Chief peeves that I never bothered to "greckz" about.

The only thing I can think of is that the railing location can be offset and may not be the dimension you would want because Chief doesn't let you really draw what would/should be the edge of the deck framing (as well as any decking overhang).

It gets back to the subject of how you can't have an invisible porch roof beam above an independent porch railing on the same floor level because the way Chief Treats the two.

In reality you should have the porch defined by a single line representing the edge of the porch floor framing and the ability to put the railing where ever you want and not define a room with the railing but also be able to define the beam above and ceiling framing with a beam that actually creates a user definable beam in 3d. This is an area that Chief should put in the Top 10 of the Top 100 items in dire need of a fix in order to really start acting like a professional grade program.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Change it in Defaults for your Plan Template.

"Defaults/Walls/Railings"
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Change it in Defaults for your Plan Template.

"Defaults/Walls/Railings"
    Thanks Joe...............
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Fine, changing the default is easy enough to do but from a new users perspective, why would it default to that "out of the box". Doesn't seem user friendly when the defaults are goofy out of the box.-BB
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

Yes, I know I can change the default setting. I was just curious as to what the thinking was.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Son View Post
    Yes, I know I can change the default setting. I was just curious as to what the thinking was.
    No thinking involved, a choice was made............
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

So take a look at the out of the box "Roof Plan Layerset". There was no thinking involved there either
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

So take a look at the out of the box "Roof Plan Layerset". There was no thinking involved there either
    You know what Joe, I am a member of the choir, and a decision needs to be made............. is it the right decision............ I do not know............. as far as ROOF PLAN LAYER SETS go, I have no issues, I get what I want. I try not to fight CA's thinking, ever so slowly I am beginning to work with their "warped" thinking, and for the most part it works out for me.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Scott,

Their defaults don't bother me. I just change them to work the way I want. Do it once for the Templates you use and that's it.
    Windows 8.1

Scott,

Their defaults don't bother me. I just change them to work the way I want. Do it once for the Templates you use and that's it.
    Agreed, and as far as the newbies go, they will have to learn how to work this out no matter what method CA chooses to control this. Of course the default could be set so that it IS NOT a no locate wall, but if CA had set it up as such, there would be people complaining about that default............... CA can't win. Learn the program people, with a little study it is really quite easy.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Agreed, and as far as the newbies go, they will have to learn how to work this out no matter what method CA chooses to control this. Of course the default could be set so that it IS NOT a no locate wall, but if CA had set it up as such, there would be people complaining about that default............... CA can't win. Learn the program people, with a little study it is really quite easy.
    I agree. And I'm learning more and more to adapt my thinking as necessary. This one just sparked my curiosity.
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

CA is the "Borg"

resistance is futile

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    CA is the "Borg"

resistance is futile

Lew
    Sorry but this is not true, Lynn is the Borg and resistance is futile.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX