Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Scott's first post did say it was a confusing question.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Scott's first post did say it was a confusing question.
    In my mind this is now besides the point.
    - I thought Joe was saying I could build a custom countertop (without base), put fixture in and it would cut the hole.
    - That is not what I have found, you must build a base with countertop and then put in fixture. This works if you do not have a separate top and bottom material.
    -Therefore I am back to doing it my initial way which requires psolids with holes cut in for fixtures for the most flexibility.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

well i'm kinda lazy, but...
    2 story, 10' clngs on the second floor, built a half wall, drew a framing member, set it 24" AFF, dragged a 24" o.c. multi copy, snapped a room pline, set it to OSB at 24.75" aff, copied in place, set the copy to granite at 25.5" aff, dragged two steps, set a manual rise of 8". I dropped in a tub, it asked if I wnated it tso stand alone, I said yes, set the tub to 25" AFFx23" tall, dragged it into place in plan. I guess I'd really draw my ledgers all 3\4 sides first, then drag my framing. I'd need to spend 5 minutes detailing the steps, hand rails, whatever, but I can cut a section, see my horizontal and vertical framing, sole plate, deck and granite material.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test bath.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	53426  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Scott, in the little model I posted, I did get the tub to cut the hole in the 2 layer countertop with no cabinet below.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

When it comes to rendering, bathrooms, whatever, there are some wizards that post in the gallery at Sketchucation, the Sketchup site with forum, who can really light a scene.

No raised tub deck, but look at the lighting. H/T to TomDC who submitted it. Wow!

And look at the towels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bk.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	53428  
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Yes, I am talking about a 4" thick TOP over a base cabinet.
    So just draw a "Half Wall" under a 4" thick Top. That space doesn't have to be Solid and the Cabinet only needs to be large enough for the tub to insert.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    Scott, in the little model I posted, I did get the tub to cut the hole in the 2 layer countertop with no cabinet below.
    Yep, not bad, I did a video that I will post in about 30 minutes. I think your solution worked well for what you were doing. In the video I stripped it down to essentially putting a fixture in a 2 layer countertop. It did work fairly well... I did detail the issues with the method. Is this method better than my "hole in psolid" solution? I think the jury is still out. Both methods work, each with their own little issues.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    When it comes to rendering, bathrooms, whatever, there are some wizards that post in the gallery at Sketchucation, the Sketchup site with forum, who can really light a scene.

No raised tub deck, but look at the lighting. H/T to TomDC who submitted it. Wow!

And look at the towels.
    That does look nice, however if I was a gambling man, the same effect could be achieved in CA................. just saying. It is all a matter of how much time you want to spend getting a photo realistic rendering...... 3 minutes is my limit.............. and quite frankly, I would rather spend my time fully understanding how CA works vs learning CA and Sketchup................ again, just saying.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Matt,

I like that even better than my original solution.

Just stack as may Custom Counter Tops as you need and place the Tub. Then Set the Tub to match the height of the top that it sits in. You can shape the Counter Tops individually to get all sorts of steps, platforms, etc.

Matt Wins the Prize
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Matt,

I like that even better than my original solution.

Just stack as may Custom Counter Tops as you need and place the Tub. Then Set the Tub to match the height of the top that it sits in. You can shape the Counter Tops individually to get all sorts of steps, platforms, etc.

Matt Wins the Prize
    Thanks
    I've always done it either your way or Scotts way i the past, but I'm on a mission to "go live" and hopefully with a little practice will become procient enough with CA's framing tools that the lack of automation is less bothersome.
    I'm thinking platforms, chases, soffits, dust ledges, hey wait, alight is tuning on!....landings - maybe we could drop tubs in landings drawn on top of half walls and the framing would generate automatically.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Link to the video............. is it a good video? errrrrrr.... I don't know

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....791#post440791
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Bummer, the landing doesn't generate framing?
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

............................. hey wait, alight is tuning on!....landings - maybe we could drop tubs in landings drawn on top of half walls and the framing would generate automatically.
    I love it!..... We are thinking, we are thinking.............. nice Matt............ but landings don't frame.............. but yeah buddy, we are thinking outside of the box............. love it!
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Bottom line, Joe Carrick's "custom countertop method" is probably better than my "hole in psolid" or my "subtract from psolid method"....... but only by a nose.......... issues with both methods but, his issues are probably less egregious than mine.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I tried redefining the Floor Structure inside some half walls but couldn't get the walls short enough to go under the secondary floor platform. It seems that the wall has to be at least 2" above the platform. But I did get it to frame - even with a hole but the hole went thru both framing layers.

Bottom line is I think a CAD detail for the platform framing is the easiest thing to do.
    Windows 8.1