Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I think what the op is asking is to raise the whole bathroom floor and set the tub level with the floor. Of course you need framing for that. I think for that room, you would need to create a different floor using the floor structure in the room DBX. A floor hole for the tub and some patching on the 1st flr ceiling ,if the bath is on the 2nd floor.
    That is what I thought the OP was asking too (by looking at his image) which means the cabinet, slab or solid idea really wouldn't apply. I didn't reply with this because I figured I was the only one who took his question wrong.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

That's not how I would build it in the real world. I would frame the floor and subfloor, rough in my plumbing, and treat this like any other tub deck. No subfloor would create all sorts of thru floor draft stop requirements so I'm pretty sure I'd do it that way rather than trying to cut in blocking. Actually, I guess I could use insulation for the draft stops, which would be nice under the tub anyway, so maybe I'd save a sheet or two of plywood.
    I thought about the idea of modeling it with a "null" story - just create a story with 0" clng height, but I see that getting complicated. I've done it to create attics with knee walls and developed living space, but that seems a little simpler.
    Unless there was a dedicated room below, with walls to support the pony walls the main level floor framing would have to frame thru for structure, so I'm not sure how well just raising the floor level would work? This is really kind of fascinating, maybe I'll waste an hour and try to do it.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

So, some of us thought that this was a "Tub Deck" and some of us thought that OZ wanted to raise the entire Bathroom Floor and recess the tub into that. I don't know which is right - only OZ would know that.

I think that the pic he posted was just too limited in area to show that this was just a raised area around the tub, not the entire bathroom.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    I think that the pic he posted was just too limited in area to show that this was just a raised area around the tub, not the entire bathroom.
    That's right Joe which is why I thought I was missunderstanding after seeing yall post.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Scott,

The attached Pic shows the steps to do it. You can eliminate all the face Items in the Base Cabinet if you want but that's not necessary.

1. Place a Cabinet and Size it.
    2. Put the tub in it
    3. Create a Custom Countertop
    4. Break the Countertop and adjust it's shape
    5. Edit the Countertop so that it's the same Height as the Cabinet (dbx)

That's it - the Counter Top can be as complex a shape as you want.
    Got it, but is does not allow a base of one material and a countertop of another material. Unless I am proved otherwise, my method is more universal
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Wasn't the question about raising the whole bathroom, and not just the tub? Wouldn't you also need framing?
    I think he was looking for a platform tub and not neccerilyh raising the bathroom floor.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    As per Perry's q, what about structure?

Are we looking to just model this for a 3D view, or are we looking to produce drawings for something we can really build?

I assume model for 3d view
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    I would do it Joe's way - most likely

get it to look good in 3D the easiest way

then create a CAD detail to show how it would really be built

Lew
    Okay, well let's see if you can produce a model.... IOW, for me, a base of one material and a top with a different material. If you want one material Joe's way works..................
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Joe:
    I think the pic showed a raised floor, but when I'm framing I'm not sure I see the difference? Call it a really big tub deck, call it a small roof with a tub stuck thru the roof.
    I'm pretty sure that the vertical members need to bear on...what? Beams, walls or floor framing. Seems to me I'd likely just roll out my floor, treat this as a tub deck, maybe a 10'x14' tub deck, call it a Roman Tub.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Scott:

by Joe's way I meant just get it to look good in 3D
    using any methods/materials as needed

without worrying about 'structure"

then create a CAD detail to show how it will really be built

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Yeah, I'm obsessed - I wanna do all my details live.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Okay, well let's see if you can produce a model.... IOW, for me, a base of one material and a top with a different material. If you want one material Joe's way works..................
    Please elucidate....

What do you mean in terms of the base being a different material? Do you mean that the vertical surfaces are different than the top surface?
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    Yeah, I'm obsessed - I wanna do all my details live.
    In that case then you need CA to address "Raised Platforms with Framing" and "Symbols that Cut Holes in Raised Platforms".

While they're at it they can add all the other Symbol Options that are missing.
    Windows 8.1

Please elucidate....

What do you mean in terms of the base being a different material? Do you mean that the vertical surfaces are different than the top surface?
    Yes, I am talking about a 4" thick TOP over a base cabinet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tub dfeck 2 material.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	53423  
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX