Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundara Homes View Post
    are those cabinet bases?? How did you get steps?? Me thinks these ARE polyline solids.
    The steps are just Custom Counter-tops. Set the Thickness and Top Height. The nice thing about Custom Counter-Tops are that you can insert vertices and stretch them however you want. Similar to Polyline Solids but IMO easier.

You could also use slabs if you wanted.
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-04-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Ok, I stand corrected. So I guess you are saying you have more flexibility using a cabinet base instead of a psolid.
    I don't have to mess around with creating the hole for the fixture - Chief does it for me.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

this reminds me of my first version of CA, v2 (beta), came on floppy and had NO cad and only did room elevations, no sections, no exterior elevations, no overviews. We used to use cabinets for decks LOL. Now we're using them for bathtubs, but at least we can render them in 3D.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

oh I get it. Well, that's easy. Great tip.
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Tundara Homes View Post
    oh I get it. Well, that's easy. Great tip.
    I just tried it, it does not work for me, I thought it would be great too, I must be missing something.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I just tried it, it does not work for me, I thought it would be great too, I must be missing something.
    Scott,

I wish I could do a video but that's not my forte. Basically, for complex shapes you need 1 cabinet that is large enough for the tub and a Custom Counter-Top shaped to cover the other cabinet. Anything that's not the same height as the Tub Deck can be made with other Solids (Including PLine Solids).
    Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

I wish I could do a video but that's not my forte. Basically, for complex shapes you need 1 cabinet that is large enough for the tub and a Custom Counter-Top shaped to cover the other cabinet. Anything that's not the same height as the Tub Deck can be made with other Solids (Including PLine Solids).
    I think what you are saying is that I still need to use a BASE CABINET. And if that base cabinet has a complex shape, you will probably need to use psolids to define that shape. If this is the case, I concur, but to simply put a DROP IN TUB into a custom countertop (without a base cabinet), is not feasible without some serious editing of the BATHTUB FIXTURE origins.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott,

The attached Pic shows the steps to do it. You can eliminate all the face Items in the Base Cabinet if you want but that's not necessary.

1. Place a Cabinet and Size it.
    2. Put the tub in it
    3. Create a Custom Countertop
    4. Break the Countertop and adjust it's shape
    5. Edit the Countertop so that it's the same Height as the Cabinet (dbx)

That's it - the Counter Top can be as complex a shape as you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Recessed Tub Steps.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	53412  
    Windows 8.1

BTW, if you Block that baby and put it in your Library you can use it the next time it's needed. Just put it in your Plan, Un-Block and edit the Counter-Top to whatever you need.
    Windows 8.1

If you really want to, you can use a PLine for the Counter-Top. Shape it (including Fillets, Chamfers, etc) and then just convert it to a "Counter-Top" and adjust the height to match the cabinet.
    Windows 8.1

Wasn't the question about raising the whole bathroom, and not just the tub? Wouldn't you also need framing?
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry,

OZ posted a pic - just a raised platform within the room. IAE, if you really need framing to show how it's built you can create half walls and if needed show a detail with a little CAD work.

My thing is simply to show that the easiest way to put in a recessed tub in Chief is to use a Base Cabinet and a Counter-Top. How the platform is actually built is another issue. Chief doesn't have a Symbol Option for "Inserts into Floor".
    Last edited by Joe Carrick; 07-05-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Windows 8.1

As per Perry's q, what about structure?

Are we looking to just model this for a 3D view, or are we looking to produce drawings for something we can really build?
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Despite my recent desire to accurately model everything, I still haven't found the need to cut sections of a tubdeck. I suppose you could build pony walls, defined with the correct finish material, drop a counter top and some horizontal framing to represent your blocking. Sounds like what we really need is a soffet tool that draws framing. MAybe when you placed it, it would ask for on top of floor, under cieling or set a (top or bottom? height.) Then we'd find out how differently my guys frame a soffit from your guys Half the time my rocker frames them out of tin cans. From time to time I'll just run a ledger on the wall and ceiling with a CJ at the corner, no cripples. Sometimes I build a little pony wall and nail the plate to the clng or wall framing, sometimes I just scab the cripples to the framing.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

I think what the op is asking is to raise the whole bathroom floor and set the tub level with the floor. Of course you need framing for that. I think for that room, you would need to create a different floor using the floor structure in the room DBX. A floor hole for the tub and some patching on the 1st flr ceiling ,if the bath is on the 2nd floor.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor