Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Commercial Windows

Hey Everyone - If you guys can help it would be appriciated.

I am having a hard time placing windows that would work for commercial metal window grids. I have a attached a pic of what I am trying to duplicate. I know CA is more setup for Residential, but I would have thought they would have had a basic metal window option for light commercial.

Maybe you guys know something I cannot figure out on my own (i am sure).

Thanks again. JP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_PSE_NorthExt_MEB4882_v2_0098835001293564552_detail[1].jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	53334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a111.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	53335  

By using the settings and check boxes in the Window Dialog you can alter the frame and muntin dimensions and other settings to emulate any kind of fixed or other kind of window system. In Window defaults you would also set "Minimum Distance" (spacing between window objects) to "0" Zero Inches.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Are you saying I need to make each window seperate and then "mull" together? I guess, but WOW - that seems like a lot of work and messing around. This is where Revit is clearly better then - since this would be a snap. I just love CA's quick rendering capabilities which keeps me using this app.

I guess you would know of any alternitive, so I guess unless someone has another idea that will be how I do it.

Thanks!

Make 1 big window and add CUSTOM MUTINS, relatively easy.....
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Or you can auto add lights/MUTINS via window DBx.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Jeez...it would take about 30 seconds to copy a window vertically and then multicopy sideways and then block.
    But...I guess you could always use Revit.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

lights/mutins are grey'd out since my window would be the shape of the roof - so one window approach does not work. I guess the multiple window route is only thing I can see working, but for Glen: keep in mind that the independent windows won't resize themselves, so i have to calc it all out from the start both directions with a top angle - not that easy. (doable, but not 30 seconds)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    lights/mutins are grey'd out since my window would be the shape of the roof - so one window approach does not work. I guess the multiple window route is only thing I can see working, but for Glen: keep in mind that the independent windows won't resize themselves, so i have to calc it all out from the start both directions with a top angle - not that easy. (doable, but not 30 seconds)
    Lights should not be greyed out, confirm it is fixed glass. Both of my suggested methods will work, been there done that.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

OK, try this use a full glass wall like Glass Shower which is just a thin sheet of glass.
    Use a Framing member, slab, polyline solis (whatever) to make 1 vertical and 1 horizontal framing member at the side and bottom.
    Ctrl drag them so that they are centred on your window wall.
    You can use the Multiple Copy tool with Evenly Distribute Copies When Dragging option to drag copies accross and up your window wall.
    Do the sloping heat manually and drag the verticals up to meet it.

Maybe not 30 seconds, but probably 2 minutes.

D. Scott,
    You can't use lights if the head is raking.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Yep, I just verified. The lites are optioned when I leave the window square, but when i select "match roof" in the shape tab the option for lites is grey'd out.

Glenn: that is not a bad idea, i will try that. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyprc View Post
    Yep, I just verified. The lites are optioned when I leave the window square, but when i select "match roof" in the shape tab the option for lites is grey'd out.
    Hmm, I wonder if you did not use the MATCH ROOF OPTION and instead made the Window match roof via the SHAPE TAB in window box if you can then select lites.

If you change fixed lglass to an arch, flat arch, etc, you can modify lites. I wonder why yours does not work. Will review in AM.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    OK, try this use a full glass wall like Glass Shower which is just a thin sheet of glass.
    Use a Framing member, slab, polyline solis (whatever) to make 1 vertical and 1 horizontal framing member at the side and bottom.
    Ctrl drag them so that they are centred on your window wall.
    You can use the Multiple Copy tool with Evenly Distribute Copies When Dragging option to drag copies accross and up your window wall.
    Do the sloping heat manually and drag the verticals up to meet it.

Maybe not 30 seconds, but probably 2 minutes.

D. Scott,
    You can't use lights if the head is raking.
    So why wouldn't you use custom loaded MUTINS in lieu of framing members?
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Once you get a "wall" done or an entire floor, you then use the "Shift-Select, Copy - Paste, Paste-Hold Position command, floor to floor.

You are right in that getting the first group done is the most time consuming but after that it can go quite fast, especially for multi-floor buildings.

As has been pointed out the shaped windows will be a little more trouble than the rectoid ones.

Anything worth doing takes a bit of time to learn and get down the procedures that work for you and that you are comfortable with.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Another issue

since i have a good group here looking at this - maybe you can help with this. i set the lower walls to balloon wall and now the upper section won't take windows correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prob2.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	53340  
    Attached Files Attached Files