Radiused roof edges - I give up!

OK I give up - am I missing something obvious here.

I want to radius the edge of these single pitch roofs to the curved concrete wall. But don't seem to be able to find a way unless I break it into a bunch of short straight segments.

Does anyone have any ideas ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	radius roof edge.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	53300  
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

That is kind of a tough one for the auto-roof generator but what have you tried to do that did not work so far?

Do those curved roof planes need to tie into the out building or not?

You guide the roof generator by settings in the Build Roof Dialog and in the Wall Dialog Box - Roof Tab settings, if those are set properly and well understood then it usually gets things close.
    Then it is a matter for finishing up by manually editing the results it gives you.
    There are many videos at ChiefTutor.com and my You Tube Channel that address roof building and editing.
    It is a skill developed by study followed by practice until you get your own skill and understanding of how to get results, it does take time and patience to learn.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

This is easy, just create a polyine with the radius you want, and position it over the roof plane. Then just use the polyline subtraction too. to create the shape.

See this link; http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....=circular+roof

Name:	radiused roof plane.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	53301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polyline subtraction.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	53303  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Thanks for your quick response Dave.

I can't remember the last time I used auto roofs, in fact I don't think I use them at all any more . I've managed to design some very complex multi pitch roofs no problem (except for a bit of time). But this simple roof has got me thinking and finding no precise way of manually curving these roof edges into the central CMU wall.

Any other takers?
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

You're a bloody legend Bill....

I'm almost there it's just being a bit naughty but I'll keep trying

Thanks

Name:	radius roof edge 3D.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	53305  
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

It should be easy once you get the hang of it. Post the plan if you can't get it right and I'll look at in the morning. It's 11:30 PM GMT-8, and just about bedtime.

Looks like you got the smaller roof plane, and I'm not sure what's going on with the larger.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Thanks Bill,

It got a bit tricky - I had to make sure the curve was segmented but with a bit of practice it works a treat. Never ceases to amaze me how I can thunder along along with a large complex house no problem and then I get stuck on something as simple as a little beach house with two flat roofs.
    We never stop learning....

Name:	radius roof edge 3D2.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	53306  
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6

I forgot to mention this last night as I hadn't done this in a while.

I can get a much smoother curve using the "convert curve to polyline" tool; it allows me to control the number of segments.

I'm assuming this is where you had trouble; let me know.

This ability to to curve a roof edge is not documented in the help section or in the tutorials.

Name:	curve to polyline.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	53307  
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Hi Nick,
    I forgot to mention what a remarkable design you have there.

I see the main part of the house is up on pillars as it would need to be in most beach areas.

The thing I really like is that the curved concrete wall offers strength in both directions while offering little resistance to the storm surge. It's also very nice aesthetically.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

I am glad that you are arriving at a solution and I like the suggestion that Bill made about the segmented poly line conversion.

The thing I would add is that if you just auto-generated the roofs with the wall dialog's properly programmed then that curved wall you had would automatically calculate each of those arc's baselines but like I said earlier it would be a miracle for the auto-generator to get it perfect, leaving you some things to clean up manually.

My purpose in mentioning this is not argumentative or critical at all but rather to point out again that Chief just offers more than one way to get things done.

I am always more interested in solutions and getting things done, I could care less HOW something gets done provided it gets done, that is more important than any other consideration.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

My You Tube Channel

Hi David,
    I wouldn't have tried this with auto roofs based on my experience; but have just played with this at your suggestion. It works well when set up properly.

The only thing that I don't like is that I can't easily control the number of segments.
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

The only thing that I don't like is that I can't easily control the number of segments.
    I understand and agree, that is where Manual Roof Editing then comes in. Part of my business model is working with Home Designer Software users and they, for the most part do not have any manual roof tools to use (except Home Designer Pro).
    This has forced me to re-learn automatic tools to better serve them and it has also made me more appreciative of what can be accomplished with them alone.
    That does not mean that I am also thankful for what Pro and Chief bring to the table in terms of additional ability and choice (I would not want to go back at all).
    The best part is that Chief Premiere brings it all to the table and makes just about anything conceivable, possible. I do like that!

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

My You Tube Channel

Thank you both for responding quickly and concisely - apologies Dave if I sounded a bit terse I was in the middle of a big frustration paddy.
    Thanks for your kind words on the design Bill it still has a way to go. I tried with auto-roofs just to make sure I wasn't missing something however like most things in CA once I'd done it a couple of times with the segmented polyline it became second nature but couldn't see it until you showed me....
    Love this forum and its helpful people
    Nick

New Zealand
    X6