Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks Jim. I'll see what Scott had rather do. I am hoping to teach him in a short amount of time, so he can do the video on his own. I'm thinking 5 minutes max., to teach him what I know.

Basically all the program does, is gives you the ability to assign 2 character hotkeys and will perform operations automatically, within a dbx, according to the way you have the macro programmed. Same as you would do if you used keystrokes to open the dbx. You can run the Macro via an Icon, hotkey, menu, or window tray. It can be assigned multiple hotkeys. The toolbar can be visible, hidden, floating, or docked.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

I will be looking at what graphics I can automate. I've already done a couple of simple structures by recording the whole process. This is something that Chief can't do at present using a "Block" because it doesn't allow walls, etc to be included in a block.

However, for many things Chief's blocks and symbols are more comprehensive.

I think there's a huge amount of power here but I just need to figure out what the best uses are.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac View Post
    Basically all the program does, is ........
    Joe, what I meant to say, is I only use the program to automatically perform operations within a dbx and is simple. You'll be able to figure out the harder portions of the program, which 'till now, I've not had any interest in learning. Let us know what you come up with and it may spark an interest.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Cliff,

Can you tell me if you need to Enter after a 2 letter command.

And also, do you have to press the 2 keys together, or can you press one key and then the next, and then have the macro execute?
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    Cliff,

Can you tell me if you need to Enter after a 2 letter command.

And also, do you have to press the 2 keys together, or can you press one key and then the next, and then have the macro execute?
    Glenn,

Press one key, then the next, to get the macro to execute. After the last key is pressed, the macro will execute without needing to Enter. You can possibly set the program to use the Enter key, but I have no problems the way it is. There is an area for a check box that states: Start Macro after all Hotkeys are released. I have this box checked, but I really don't know what it means. When I uncheck it, it still executes the macro, after the last letter is entered. I'll read the help section and see what it does.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Thanks Cliff, that is exactley what I have been advocating for years - no Enter - just the way Generic Cad and Visual Cad used to do - 2 buttons in sucsession and the macro executes.

Until you have used shortcuts like that, it is hard to appreciate how fast and logical it is.

Here are a couple of typical 2 letter shortcuts from Visual Cad.
    Notice how logical they are.
    You really don't even have to remember them, take a guess and you are probably correct.

I don't want to waylay this thread, but this is something I would really like to see incorporated into Chief.

Ctrl+Shift+G really isn't a shortcut to my way of thinking.

Oh, and then there is the macro language that allows you to string any of the 2 letter shortcuts together to perform complex tasks.

Simple as...

Shortcut
    Command Description
    Native Command
    A2
    2-Point Arc
    Arc2
    A3
    3-Point Arc
    Arc3
    AC
    Array Copy
    ArrayCopy
    AF
    AutoFillet*
    AutoFillet
    AG
    Align
    Align
    AL
    All Layers Edit*
    AllLayEdit
    AP
    Aperture ON/OFF*
    Aperture
    AR
    Flip Arrow*
    ArrowFlip
    AS
    Assign Script
    ScriptAssign
    BA
    Backward Redraw*
    BackRD
    BB
    Bearing Labels
    BearingLabel
    BC
    Continuous Bézier Curve
    BezierCont

PS. that table didn't import the way I thought, but you can get the idea.
    Last edited by Glenn Woodward; 06-30-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward View Post
    .....2 buttons in sucsession and the macro executes.

Until you have used shortcuts like that, it is hard to appreciate how fast and logical it is......
    You're welcome Glenn and you're exactly right. With one letter hotkeys, you run out of logic quickly. You can run out with 2 letter also, but at least you have more options.

In the Macro Toolworks program, you can assign the same hotkeys to different macros. When this happens, it will have a pop-up menu of all that have identical hotkeys and allow you to choose which to execute. You can have multiple hotkeys for the same macro.

When I group a set of macros for a particular function, such as turning layers ON/Off, I assign two different hotkeys for each macro. The first one I use is "ON" and it is assigned to all the macros in that group. The second hotkey is assigned according to "my" logic, such as OR (for on/off Roof), OW (for on/off Windows), etc.......When you enter the hotkey "ON", then it will have the pop-up menu to choose which macro to execute. If you enter OR, then it will immediately execute the macro, since there are no other macros with this hotkey assigned.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

The two jpg's below, show a choice of menu style you can choose between. The first jpg's menu, allows you to execute the macro with a single click, or you can enter the number beside the macro and it will also execute......The second jpg's menu requires you to double click, to execute the macro.

The jpg's are showing the macros I use to assign room names. Highlight the room, enter the hotkey and the program does the rest. You can see the 2 letter hotkeys I've assigned, to the far right beyond the slash mark. All of these are assigned RD (Room Definition), for the first hotkey, so it will have this pop-up menu. The second hotkey follows my logic, while trying not to interfer with hotkeys in a different group.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menu.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	53329

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Menu2.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	53330
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Quote Originally Posted by ambrozac View Post
    .....Another potential problem could be plan file size and how it will affect the speed and performance of the macros.
    I can't emphasize this enough. If the plan file size starts slowing down the time it takes a dbx to open, the macro is still going to execute at the speed you have set it to run....My plans are small, so I don't have any problems, but as I mentioned before, it's not for everyone.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    This thread takes me back to V4 when I converted from DataCad. I was so used to using macros that I installed a program called Keyboard Express (Later Macro Express) which allowed me to run Chief more like DataCad. The problem back then was Chief was a little unstable and computers a little underpowered so there were frequent crashes.

One issue was that Chief had a lot of commands which had no keyboard equivalent so there was a lot of select tab tab tab tab enter to navigate dbxs. The hot key and toolbar system is way more advanced now and I thought that the need for an add on macro controller had passed but it looks like that is not the case.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Hey hey hey, I am about to do a meeting with Cliff "Ambrozac" Cain. I will let you know how it goes. I am so excited.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Okay guys, a LONG 30 minute video with The Cliffster. He was dictating to me some 2 key stroke steps. The point of this video was to get some exposure to Cliff's 2 keystroke steps. This video does not show how to create the shortcuts, but is intended stimulate our thinking of what might be possible. It could of been a better video, but remember I was communicating with a Texan, and we all know how Texans are............. speaking as a former Texan, I know from where I speaketh of.

Thanks Cliff for your time, I hope to glean more information from you in the future.

http://chieftutor.com/dscotthall/CLI...20PART%201.wmv
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quick comment, I think what Cliff does is really neat. I think he will, and he did, admit that he created some shortcuts that were unnecessary. So the key for me is trying to get a handle on what the most effective shortcuts could be. I believe this is something I will take some time to absorb..... I wish CA already had these two stroke shortcuts built into the program, something Glenn has requested for some time. But until CA carries this out, I believe this is something to look into, and with Cliff's help, I anticipate using this in the very near future.

As expressed in the video, these shortcuts do not save a lot of time, seconds at the most, but using many of these shortcuts over the duration of a project could save an hour or two. I will say that I am no longer looking to save hours on a project, CA has already saved me hours, I am now looking to save seconds and minutes which over the course of a project could turn into more hours saved.

Gosh, am I lucky to have stumbled upon this program, and I know it will only get better.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Thank you guys, this could be very powerful. I think what people might be wondering is ,how to set this thing up. Nice, looks like Cliff sure has it down. I wonder if there is a way to get the reference set to pair to the anno sets and the layout. That would save a lot of time.
    Last edited by perryh; 07-07-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    ....Thanks Cliff for your time, I hope to glean more information from you in the future......
    You're welcome Scott. Only the surface was scratched in the video. When Joe has time to learn the program, he can provide more depth.......If anyone wants to try, it's best to get the Professional version, rather than the free version. I believe you are offered a trial, with the professional, but the free version is limited in functions.

....I wonder if there is a way to get the reference set to pair to the anno sets and the layout. That would save a lot of time.
    Yes. If it can be done manually, via a dbx, then it can be programmed with a macro, to execute automatically.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e