Creating Symbols

Using X4, to design multiple units I have tried to create symbols from the units. I have done this by taking a camera othorgraphic full view, exported the view as a 3DS model and then imported the model to the site plan (with all the terrain features set.

However the models are not importing to scale. The unit are importing approx. 10th the size they should be.

I did this from view the training video. id 240 Exporting & importing 3D symbols. When I did this a month ago it worked on one of the building. I can't see I am doing anything different. But this time the scale is not right.

Any suggestions?

Symbols

Make sure that you import back in the same scale that you exported the symbol.
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

I don't get a prompt about scaling. I have managed to multiply the symbols by 10 and it seems to be right.

Why not just use "Tools/Convert to Symbol" from a Perspective View. and avoid all the export/import hassle?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

3ds export - import scaling problem

I needed to export Chief 3D to a format that could be used by another app so that consultants can view the the 3D interactively. (No I don't want them to use the Chief Viewer cos I don't want them getting hold of the Chef data... they may pirate it). So: tried 3ds export then imported back in as a symbol to validate the data.

Imported 3ds is one tenth correct size. I attributed this to a programming confusion in Metric Units. Tested again with X2 and got the same goof... so it's been around for a few years and either no one has noticed and reported it or SS don't consider it a bug...

Resizing the imported symbol from the 3ds seems to work until you change a patterned surface. The newly applied pattern assumes the original scale factor and is blown up by a factor of 10.

Sketchup imported the Chief exported 3ds at the correct scale; but surfaces are badly triangulated so it's next to useless.

Exporting to 3d dwg and importing as a symbol is a nightmare when trying to retain materials.

Fortunately the Chief Tool Convert to Symbol works satisfactorily... otherwise we'd be stumped. (Chief only has the two 3D export options: DWG or 3DS; no Sketchup export)