Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    We built our home 20 years ago on an old volcanic core. The ground has very little actual soil - it's mostly "Blue Granite" - and we had a difficult time excavating for the foundation. For the most part we just cleaned of the surface of the bedrock and formed over it. We drilled holes in the granite and epoxied Stainless Rebars in the holes. The foundation is so solid that it will be here for at least a couple thousand years. I expect that the wood structure will be gone long before that but probably not for another 300-400 years since it's well protected from the elements.

Because the foundation is so solid it basically doesn't matter that we are in one of the most active seismic regions. When the biggest earthquakes rock Southern California we hardly notice. But within just a few miles there are homes built in alluvial plains. Those homes could suffer severe damage if the ground beneath them were to liquify in a strong quake.

OTOH, the San Diego region has not been nearly as subject to strong quakes as Los Angeles and San Francisco. Even Santa Barbara where I grew up has had more severe earthquakes.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Dave,
    always follow the money.

Scott,
    I can't believe you need lessons to learn how to "draw a ball", there is one in the lib. I'll do a video for you.
    LOL, now that is funny!
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

OTOH, the San Diego region has not been nearly as subject to strong quakes as
    Los Angeles and San Francisco. Even Santa Barbara where I grew up has had more
    severe
    I also lived in Santa Barbara for a while growing up. Went to Elementary school over by Hope ranch.--Forgot the name My brothers went to San Marcos high.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Jay M is offline Registered User Promoted
    Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    The only problem with that is, your not licensed to do so.
    A license isn't required to create a set of construction documents in MA. just as it isn't in CA.
    Jay M.
    www.capecodhomedesign.net
    Current X6 (version 4 - X6)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Intel Xeon 4 core 2.27
    6GB RAM
    ATI Firepro V4800

Anyone can create plans, just need an engineer to calculate the beams and lateral loads, or you cant get a permit, at least around here.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry:

here in NY we can't create plans at all

every page must be done by an architect/engineer or directly supervised by them

there are other states that are just as restrictive

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Perry:

here in NY we can't create plans at all

every page must be done by an architect/engineer or directly supervised by them

there are other states that are just as restrictive

Lew
    What do YOU do then??
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

BTW, most people ARE NOT saying an engineer won't be doing the calculations. The fact is, you HAVE TO be able to do a good portion of it to even send a design to GET engineered or there's NOTHING TO ENGINEER!! What do you guys do? Draw up a floor layout and that's it??

And about "what the law says"...It has to be referring to the engineering pages only or almost all of you would be without a job. How on earth can these manufactured lumber companies be supplying "designers" with beam calculation software all over the country without landing in prison???

And an engineer doesn't have to spec hangers either. Only thing they should need to do is list the load requirements and a builder can use whatever hanger they like. In fact most stamped plans say it right on them "or equivalent".
    Michael

Chief Architect X3-X6
    Windows 7
    I5 Quad core 8 GB
    NVIDEA Ge Force GT430

What do YOU do then??

Michael:

here in NY we can create "floorplans" and elevations and 3D images etc for "concept" then the client has to take that to the architect as "suggestions"

all permit docs etc must be drawn by the architect

I did this for my sister's addition and the architect made 14 mistakes in applying the "suggestions" - none of them for structural reasons

the builder worked from my "suggestions"

we also do work across the US and Internationally in areas that are not so restrictive via the internet

yes, business is slow these days

my health prevents me from working full-time (or even part-time) and my partner has a day job

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)