Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundara Homes View Post
    Alan, did you know that when you place a door, if you hold the mouse button down when you place it, you can drag the door swing the desired direction?
    Nice Tip! Thanks Charlie.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Tundara Homes View Post
    Kelly,

have you seen this mouse. Looks like more functionality. I am trying to find one for a better price. Looks like fun.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/raz...ctID.220156700
    Yes I have in fact my son had one and I tried it, but I couldn't get used to the side buttons, probably in time. Still a good responsive mouse with low pressure clicks.

The thing is I have 14 buttons that sit under my left hand and 8 on my right, and that is about all my brain can handle.

And yes good tip.
    Kelly
    Win 7 - i7
    ati 5800
    ssa
    www.kellydesign.cc

Quote Originally Posted by gawdzira View Post
    Perry, during the next hour of drafting try to quantify the top 4 commands that you access the most. Then assign hot keys to them that you can do with your left hand easily (if you use your right for the mouse). Write them down on a sticky front an center of your monitor. It should only take about 5 times using the commands before you feel an urgent need to send me $20 for saving you $40 worth of time.
    Ok when I get some time I will try some shortcuts, but your list is massive. I don't think my brain has enough size for that. I'm for anything that saves time. I have been putting a lot of things on my toolbars so its very easy to just use the mouse and pick it. With a good toolbar, its just as fast to me but what do I know until I try it.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

sometimes I do wonder if it is any faster to push a key or click a toolbar button. There are times, like when my hand isn't already sitting on the board that the mouse move is faster. Other times, the slide click, slide function, slide click, slide function is just way to much for my wrist to handle and the button pusher gets the job. :Sly:
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

here's another one I use a lot. Tab and control are on my mouse, but the keyboard would do the job faster than the menus. If you have the wrong window on the top of the pile and you want to view a different one, press control and tab and you can cycle through the open windows instead of going to window menu tab and picking the one you want. I also slightly offest the windows on my desktop so that most of the tabs are viewable to click on, but once in awhile, in a hurry I don't take the time to line them up and control tabbing works nicely.
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Charlie:

I placed the N(ext) and P(revious) icons on my toolbar so I can click thru the open windows using the mouse - very fast and convenient

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery View Post
    Charlie:

I placed the N(ext) and P(revious) icons on my toolbar so I can click thru the open windows using the mouse - very fast and convenient

Lew
    mm.. another idea for keyboard pushers. I still think the buttons on my mouse are faster though. My wrist doesn't even move to do the same thing. Both buttons are easily pushed by my thumb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mouse.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	53096  
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Looks like the same mouse I have. Performance MX
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

I am still loving my 58-button X-Key with the following button assignment.

http://www.chieftalk.com/attachment....9&d=1296850810

They also sell a 84-button unit.
    Charles K. Volz
    Castlerock Designer Homes
    San Antonio, Texas

Phone: 210 744-7489
    Email: CVRE@sbcglobal.net
    Web: CastlerockDesignerHomes.com

Chief Architect X6, X5 (SSA) (Since V9)
    Win 7 Prof (64-bit), Intel i7-2600K
    Nvidia GeForce 560 GTX 1GB, 8GB Ram
    MSI P67A-GD65, Antec 900 ATX
    Zalman CPU Cooler & 1000W PS
    640GB HD & 128GB SSD

I use "CTRL-Tab" to switch between active windows

I use "CTRL-S" (save all, I also use F3 which is the same command)

I of course use "CTRL-C" (copy)

CTRL-V (paste)

Those are the main ones I have adopted so far.

Each of us develops our own style and it is well that Chief offers the ability to customize our modes of operation.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    I use "CTRL-Tab" to switch between active windows

I use "CTRL-S" (save all, I also use F3 which is the same command)

I of course use "CTRL-C" (copy)

CTRL-V (paste)

Those are the main ones I have adopted so far.

Each of us develops our own style and it is well that Chief offers the ability to customize our modes of operation.

DJP
    I use CTRL-C and V as well but in Chief CTRL-V demands you paste the object in a new location then move it into position.

"Copy and paste in place" allows that new object to be moved along either the vertical or horizontal axis and remain aligned with the original object.

Perfect for CAD work where you need a quick 'Cross Box' aligned above an original to create a double top plate. Or any other object that you want to align with its original.

2 or 3 rectangular polylines that stack like a 2D Steel I beam in CAD? Draw 1 box, CTRL - Q, drag the handles of the new object they align perfectly with original, CTRL -Q again there's the third box perfectly aligned as well.

Not ideal for every copy but in CAD when you need to preserve the original's alignment it's really slick and very fast. YMMV of course.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

A, as in "A". I have it mapped to Pan instead of the middle mouse. I use it all the time.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    Sorry to say ,I don't use shortcuts. I just can't remember them all.
    Don't be sorry Perry, when Apple obtained (pretty much stole it for $50k) their first Graphical User Interface from Xerox in the late '70's we were forever saved from Bill Gate's DOS.

My brain can only remember a few and if you're away from the program for awhile, I don't know how you would remember a couple dozen keyboard shortcuts. I know a guy using Archicad that uses his mouse very little. He's young but man, when you hit your mid-fifties and start having senior moments, uhhhhhh was that "ctrl R+?

I like to keep me hands on me mouse as much as possible as it "feels" more like drawing with your hands and that's the beauty of programs like Chief. You can use short-cuts and your keyboard like Autocadders have had to do for years or you can draw with your mouse.

Using your mouse and then familiarizing yourself with all the onscreen menus and icons allows you to keep your "heads up on the display". Kind of like paying more attention to the road than the dashboard when driving.
    Also, the icon keys your brain to the function needed and reminds you when you forget by just passing your cursor over it for a "written discription" of the function.

More power to the guys that can use the shortcuts but not for me. BB
    Last edited by Bradley Boltz; 06-21-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Architect,NOT! (archnot@yahoo.com): Dell XPS 8300, i7-2600 3.40 GHZ Quad Core, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, ATI-radeon HD 5700 1-gig(not by choice came with cpu), 8 GB RAM, 25" Hanspree HF 255 LCD Moniter- User since Chief '97(v6)-X4

So.....

How many remember the days of tablet menus?

At least one system I used had a user defined table menu that would execute a macro to perform a series of commands with just a single mouse click. Virtually any set of keyboard inputs could be assigned to a menu item. It was nice because you could put a picture of the macro function on the tablet just like we now have menubars.

Of course it required a tablet where we now use buttons on menubars. But wouldn't it be great if we could define such macros and assign them to our own menu buttons?
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Brad:

I'm with you

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)