plot plan versus cad detail

Making a plot or site plan with the property lines, easements, etc. I used the Chief Arch. tutorial but then when it came to moving my footprint, the property lines' linetypes and colors were changed and would not let me snap a dimension to them and I could not move the footprint with a dimension. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks.

I'm kinda busy today but I would be happy to do a free online meeting with you this weekend and look at it with you if you like. If interested, send me an email with your phone number at my email shown in my signature.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

In terms of the dimensions, if your property lines are not parallel to your house you may have to turn off angle-snaps in order to get a dimension string to form.

I sometimes even use the dimension tool that creates it's own points in some severe cases.

Basically you use the right tool or tool setting for the job.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Wink Plot plan

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    I'm kinda busy today but I would be happy to do a free online meeting with you this weekend and look at it with you if you like. If interested, send me an email with your phone number at my email shown in my signature.
    Tommy B:
    I just now got your reply. I thought I was set up for an immediate email when I received a response but I don't know what happened. Thank you so much. I found that when I zoom way in on the corners of the two lines there was a small tail on one of them and I tried to drag it away to the end of the line but it wouldn't go away. then i jsut erased the wholw thing and drew a new setback line and I was able to dimension it fine. I still don't know the real way to do a site plan. One chief tutor video told me to make a CAD block to make the site plan and it did not work very well at all. I still don't understand the cad block system at all. Of course, like most new to Chief, i am used to AutoCAD. I don't understand exactly the layout view of a plan or something. When I move something to layout and resize the image, I cannot change any of the plan layers on or off after that, right?
    Thanks.

plot plan plight

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    In terms of the dimensions, if your property lines are not parallel to your house you may have to turn off angle-snaps in order to get a dimension string to form.

I sometimes even use the dimension tool that creates it's own points in some severe cases.

Basically you use the right tool or tool setting for the job.

DJP
    DJP:
    I am amazed I did not get an email response from ChiefTalk. I thought I had it in my personal settings? Anyway, just now got your response. Luckily for me, the property line IS parallel to the house so there is not an angle problem but I found that there was a small "tail" on one of my building setback lines so I just erased and redrew the setbacks and redimensioned and it came out fine. I am pretty new to Chief and am used to AutoCAD for the previous version of my prof. life. Do you have no layer control after sending a plan or sectional view to the layout sheet? Do I have to go back to the plan and redo the layers how I want them to display and then resend to layout?
    Thanks.