How to install lighting in eaves

I am a student as at Lanier tech. and we are trying to install down lights in an exterior soffit/eaves. We have tried looking in the reference manual and have not found any answers. The ligths follow the picth of the roof plane even though we have the boxed eave selection checked. Wer have tried building invisible walls ans creating a room , we have tried deleting the roof plane and placing the lights first, but the lights change to follow the roof picth when we rinstall the roof plane. We have tried other things and can still not get it to work. Please help. Thanks

Some of the ceiling lights do work for eaves too but not the recessed down lights. What I do is copy the recessed light from Chief's library to your Users library. Then open it (open symbol) and make it sit on the floor. Now you can place it and adjust it's height to fit the eaves and manually place it.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

You should be able to do this manually, what I have done to overcome the down-light following the slant of the roof is to also place a soffit (cabinet tools) in the eave (down lights are programmed to follow soffits by that I mean they are programmed to align with soffit objects by default).
    Some would call this a "work-round", I just call it getting my work done.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

There's always more than one way to do things with this program.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

UnHappy

Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    You should be able to do this manually, what I have done to overcome the down-light following the slant of the roof is to also place a soffit (cabinet tools) in the eave (down lights are programmed to follow soffits by that I mean they are programmed to align with soffit objects by default).
    Some would call this a "work-round", I just call it getting my work done.

DJP
    If my cordless is dead I just pound the screws in with a hammer - some call this a workaround, I just call it getting my work done
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Try this one:

1. Do not specify a Soffit.
    2. Create Ceiling Planes to serve as the Soffit
    3. Recessed Can Lights will now install correctly in the Ceiling Planes.

As Tommy said, there are always other ways of doing things. As an alternative, you can leave the Soffits but just create a Level Ceiling Plane 1/2" lower than the Soffit in which to install the lights. Without the Ceiling Plane the Can Lights actually attach to the bottom of the sloped eave which is higher.

BTW, I think this is something that CA should consider - shouldn't a soffit really be just a "Special Ceiling"? If it was then this and several other problems would cease to exist.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    Some of the ceiling lights do work for eaves too but not the recessed down lights. What I do is copy the recessed light from Chief's library to your Users library. Then open it (open symbol) and make it sit on the floor. Now you can place it and adjust it's height to fit the eaves and manually place it.
    I like Tommy's solution
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    I like Tommy's solution
    What don't you like about mine? You do know that it's easy to create a single flat ceiling plane to act as the soffit and then break/stretch it all the way around the house. Now you can actually control the material and the lights actually snap right to it?

This also works for cantilevered floors, etc.
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Joe, there's nothing wrong with how you want to do it. I just posted how I have been handling that situation. I have the 6" & 4" recessed cans already set up in my library ready to use whenever I want. All I do is place one and copy it where ever I want.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    What don't you like about mine? You do know that it's easy to create a single flat ceiling plane to act as the soffit and then break/stretch it all the way around the house. Now you can actually control the material and the lights actually snap right to it?

This also works for cantilevered floors, etc.
    I am not sure if I realized that if I create a ceiling plane in the middle of the desert, the light would snap to it. I will give it a try. But with Tommy's solution, the plane is not necessary, and we already have a soffit created with eave. Tommy's solution is less work.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

i'm on the fence - i don't like having things drawn that i wouldn't normally display, otherwise I forget they're there, so i'd rather not draw an eave soffit unless i was going to draw it on every job, in which case I'd like it to be automatic?
    on the other hand, i don't like manually setting the locations of things that could\should be placing themselves automatically, so i'd rather not calculate\manually enter the clng ht in the light - i will inevitably leave one or two at an incorrect default height and waste 5 minutes scratching my head trying to figure out why I've got no light in that rendered scene.
    I'm not on my 'puter rite now, but...I'm gonna try using the roof overhang - isn't that a pline, can't I change it to a clng plane?
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

I don't think there's anything that can be "changed to a ceiling plane". OTOH, I think that CA should make the "Soffit" act like a "Ceiling Plane" - at least for the purpose of snapping symbols to them.

I think of it this way:

If a room has a ceiling then a "Ceiling Plane" is created by default and the lights snap to that. If the room doesn't have a ceiling then the lights snap to the "cathedral ceiling". If you consider a "Soffit" to be just an "Exterior Ceiling Plane" then it should work the same way.

IMO this should be a real easy fix that CA could do.
    Windows 8.1

yeah, I kind of vaguely remember being able to change a p-lines layer settings to terrain perimeter and having that work, but....
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6