Hybrid View

Well Darn,
    I did it without the plan. Attached is a screen shot explaining the construction. I'll attach my plan so you can play with it.

Let me know if you have trouble figuring it out.

The reason that this works is that by default Chief roof baselines are horizontal. It takes a minimum of three points to define a plane, and the connecting plane must have at least two points in common with the adjacent planes . When I can take a Z (height) value that is given on one plane, and match it to the corresponding Z value on the other roof plane I can connect them with a roof baseline that is by definition horizontal. My new connecting plane is now locked at two horizontal points (at the same height) on the adjacent planes. It will pivot around these two points. I only need one more value to lock the plane in place, and in this case I can use either the peak value, or the eave value.

Chief has absolutely amazing roof tools; but these filler planes are outside the scope of what Chief can do automatically.

I think this problem is particularly interesting in that I generally assume that a ridge has to run horizontally. And, of course it could, but then it wouldn't be such an interesting problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geometric solution.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	52564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geometric solution 1.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	52565  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill Emery

OR CCB# 105259
    Ashland Home Design LLC
    Bill@AshlandHome.Net

Bill, Thanks for all your help and patience to get me thru this roof plane problem. I need to stay away from these types of roof designs. I was happy to have the roof ridge go horizontal, but the owner was correct in his judgement.
    Again, a BIG THANKS

John