Thread: Box Bay X4

Box Bay X4

I am creating a box bay window by scratch finding the bay window tools useless. I can't figure out how to remove the gaps in the finish. I have attached a model similar to the one I am working on. Any help would be appreciated. You will probably find that the working annotation will be the easiest to work on with most layers used being on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box bay.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	52567  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Charlie,

Have a look at this one. I got it almost perfect, aside from some slight vertical stripes down the inside of the bay. I used a continuous wall across the bay and a pass thru to create the opening into the bay from the main room. I also noticed that the soffit on the roof plane does not want to build flat.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

I did this by drawing the box walls, editing the floor height, building the foundation, deleting the foundation walls then (in full overview) grabbing the wall and closing the gap under the bay.
    I used a passthru for the opening into the bay.
    It leaves a hole in the terrain where the stem walls were deleted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	52571  
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Thanks for the reminder Rod. I knew I had done it before. We hardly ever use bay windows here on account of the cold weather, as you would know. It's been so long I forgot that little trick.

I was able to clean it up a bit more. If you use a door way instead of a pass through it cleans up the interior lines. Also, remove the auto boxed eave and designate the overhang and it cleans up the soffit.

Have a great day.
    Last edited by Tundara Homes; 05-08-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added file
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

matt, create the terrain perimeter on the foundation floor and you won't get the opening in the terrain. It's grabbing the walls on the floor you have the terrain designated to.
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

Thanks, nice tip.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Quote Originally Posted by Tundara Homes View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Rod. I knew I had done it before. We hardly ever use bay windows here on account of the cold weather, as you would know. It's been so long I forgot that little trick.

I was able to clean it up a bit more. If you use a door way instead of a pass through it cleans up the interior lines. Also, remove the auto boxed eave and designate the overhang and it cleans up the soffit.

Have a great day.
    That's the one. Couldn't figure out why the window kept leaving a line on each wall. And lastly you can place the door on a separate layer if you want, or just leave it and the threshold line denotes the raised bay window.
    Rod Kervin
    Kervin Home Design
    Courtenay BC
    p. 250-871-0316

If a picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures, then uploading the chief file is worth a thousand videos.

Try changing one wall to no room def
    Pull the window down in elv view
    Copy window - paist on int wall
    add con brds

My way... may not be best,,, Ray
    X5
    Ray Castano, CAPS, CGP
    Ray@PlansThatWork.com
    God Bless America
    http://www.plansthatwork.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sherpa_jones View Post
    That's the one. Couldn't figure out why the window kept leaving a line on each wall. And lastly you can place the door on a separate layer if you want, or just leave it and the threshold line denotes the raised bay window.
    I put the door on a separate layer and change the layer line to dashed to denote bay. I didn't like the solid line...
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca