Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pellant View Post
    James,

Post script:

Have you tried running several intances of Chief at the same time and seeing if that loads up the cores more effectively?

It's am old Chief trick:
    After starting Chief Architect once, start another session while holding down the <Ctrl> key. Then with 2 instances of Chief open, run the ray tracer in each.... halves the overall time?

Hypothesis:
    With 8 cores, run 4 sessions of Chief and ray trace 4 plans at the same time.

Cheers.
    Ian, you sure about that? You cannot open the same plan in two sessions of Chief, unless you do a "file>save-as" and change the name.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

File locking will prevent a plan being opened by another session of Chief....

I need to ray trace many plans. Not many views of a single plan. (Brochures only need one view per house plan).

So what I tested was opening 2 copies of the test plan and ray tracing them simultaneously. I did not open the same plan file twice. In practice, they will be plans of different houses.

On my old P4 the cumulative processing time for two simultaneous sessions was the same as running from a single session of Chief and batch queing two ray traces. No time gain.

Overclocking has shown promise. The over clock ratio gives a very linear improvement in the ray tracer - probably due to it being almost completely CPU bound. Turning on overclocking with a software tool once Chief is loaded seems the best way to overclock - it allows overclocking to be turned off for "normal" use after ray tracing, which reduces power consumption, heat, system stress, etc.

Cheers.

Allen:

turn off "file locking" in preferences

it is highly recommended to not make edits to both plans while they are open this way - could lead to file corruption

probably best to clone the plan before doing this - for safety

I have used this method for doing presentations

instance A shows one view or set of views

instance B is then used to move around the plan to show other view(s)
    while being able to hop back to instance A view(s) and not lose postion in either

this can also be done while comparing Chief X3 versus chief X4 for example

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

There is no advantage to running multiple ray traces simultaneously in X4. Ray tracing is a highly parallel task that takes advantage of all the cores most of the time.

Any advantage that you might have during the few times that the ray tracer is not taking full advantage of all the cores would probably be lost in task switching overhead.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Thanks Doug,

I suspected that may be the case.

Indications are that the AMD FX18150 would require overclocking to match or exceed the Intel 17 2600.

Cheers.

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    Ian I am not a tech type user. I had my PC overclocked when I bought it and thought it was beyond the average user to make changes.

Is there a program which can do it?
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Ian I did a bit of looking and have cranked my PC up to 4.2Ghz. I ran the windows experience index and the processor rating increased from 7.5 to 7.7 (7.9 is the highest ranking) The SSD rates at 7.8

I downloaded your sample but there are no trees. Did you export the plan before zipping?
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

marty,

It depends on the processor and the motherboard vendor.

My old box is a "Shuttle" - over the years I've built 3 others based on AMD... mine is an Intel P4 660 3.6GHz. Shuttle provide what they call "XPC Tools" - a software utility for monitoring the system (temperatures, fan speed, etc) and overclocking. It makes it easy to experiment with overclcoking. If the system locks, a reboot will clear the settings. Quit XPC Tools and the system is back to normal. My old box overclocks to just under 4GHz by bumping the FSB from 200 up to 220. Ray tracing improvement seems in a linear relationship with the system speed.

Intel tend to discourage overclocking for a few commercial reasons as well as technical. It was fuin to run the Intel Processor ID utility (can find it on the Intel web site) and see the big red warning that the system was overclocked.

The AMD FX-8nnn series processors black edition are "unlocked" to almost encourage overclocking. The Asrock motherboards come with Turbo Boost utilities to allow overclocking. The nominal bump top speed of the FX-8150 is 4.2 GHz. It can easily be boosted to 5GHz on air cooling; perhaps more. WIth liquid cooling, it should be able to run happily at 5.5GHz.

If your motherboard manufacturer did not provide software tools for overclocking, then it can be done manually by entering the BIOS at boot time and setting the core cpu speed or voltage, the FSB (Front Side Bus) speed and the memory speed or voltage. If you get it wrong the system won't boot.... that is why systems intended for enthusiasts will have "system reset" button somewhere in a recessed hole on the back of the computer... without that, using the BIOS clear jumper on the motherboard to clear the settings (or remove the 2032 battery for a few minutes).

If you web search you may find an article specific to your CPU and motherboard.

If you have a run of the mill, brand name system, then the manufacturer has probably tried to discourage overclocking... it will "void the warranty".

I like Shuttles because they are compact and very cost effective. Also means the case, motherboard and power supply are all warranteed by the same company and they do proide overclock tools. (see www.shuttle.com). Shuttle will cost about Aus $1400 for an i7 2600 with CPU, memory, hard drive, optical drive, Win 7 Pro. They do not have a box for the AMD FX-8150... which is a big hint that they are not favouring AMD this year. It will be my i7 choice.

Cheers.

marty (Gordon)

The trees are images from the CA X4 Core Plant libraries. If you have all the core libraries installed, they should be there. Chief should have flagged warnings ig it couldn't find them.

Cheers

Ian

I finally found the plants file on my other computer and copied it over.
    My time is 57 seconds at 4.2 Ghz
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

OK I played around a little more.
    I reset the processor to 3.4Ghz and got a time of 1:27min
    Went back and changed it again this time to 4.5Ghz and got a time of 55 secs which was slower than the 47 sec result at 4.2Ghz.????
    Re did the ray trace and got 55 again.

I am not sure what is happening but regardless the improvement is at least 30% which is quite significant
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Last time - I am now going to do some work!!

Re set to 4.2Ghz and got 57, 55, 58 seconds so the 47 seconds first time up was a one off? Is it the clock thats a problem?

I think I will leave it at 4.2 as the small improvement going to 4.5 doesnt seem worth the potential problems that could come with pushing the system. I have an extra big fan but no other special cooling features.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

marty,

Congratulations! You broke the minute barrier.

I am in the office running the test on a 3 year old HP workstation. It has an Intel Zeon W3505 CPU @ 2.53GHz. It's same die as the i7-9xx series. 2 physical cores; 2 thread per core. Win XP 32.

Very interesting results:

Single session: 12:54

Now the interesting bit:

2 sessions of Chief at the same time:
    1 12:54
    2 12:54
    that is: each completed in 12:54 - same as a single session.
    that is: 2 instances of Chief running on separate copies of the test plan completed the ray trace exactly as if it was one normal session of Chief. This is a doubling of productivity when many plans need to be ray traced. The computer is behaving as if it is two computers. Chief is raytracing completely within each core using 2 threads per core.

Now the decider:
    4 sessions of Chief at the same time:
    1 24:28
    2 25:48
    3 24:48
    4 24:54
    This indicates that each of the 2 physical CPU are sharing the 4 threads across their 2 thread capacity... so the ray tracing time per instance has doubled. Same sort of result as my old single core P4.

I closed 2 sessions and ran the remaining two simultaneously. Results:
    1 12:38
    2 12:36
    Test confirmed. A 2 physical core Xeon processor will run the ray tracer contained within each core. (On Win XP 32bit)

However:
    Tests on an Intel i7 running Win 7 64bit did not behave this way... it was back to doubling the session time per ray trace.

For rhe best performance, one may have to step up to an HP or Lenova workstation fitted with an Intel Xeon processor.... (unless the Amd FX-8150 has core behavior similar to the Xeon)

Cheers.

Ok I said I was working but thought I would run two on my system and got 1:55 for both which is double the time.
    The times you are getting are so slow I wonder why you are bothering with testing them. Its good to see the higher specs returning a noticeable improvement - so often upgrades fail to deliver.
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb

Hi Max

Where I notice the increased speed on a daily basis is moving around elevations and cross sections which now move instantly without the lag which has always been there.

Your time of around 4x for a raytrace seems ok at that small scale but increase image size and/or resolution and a 30 minute job for me bexomes 2 hours for you. I cannot accurately measure a final image with shadows for the test view as it is too fast - somewhere between 1 and 3 seconds.

Of course the next version of Chief will use more resourses and we will be back to the beginning!
    Gordon Martinsen
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    W7 64 bit X5
    i7 2600k 3.7Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    180Gb SSD
    Nvidia GTX 560 1 Gb