Hybrid View

Thanks Mark,

An i7 2600 is the Intel web selector recommendation for CAD / Modeling.

RAM over 4GB is possibly superfluous... but it's so cheap that adding more is irrerestable. Some systems will enable dual channel switching if pairs of slots are filled. That may or may not improve ray tracing... dunno. It also means that 4GB x 2 is possibly a faster option than 8GB x 1 for DIMM configuration.

The test plan is a bottom end example... in practice, more detail, some light sources and more landscaping will be used and at higher resolution and probably with more advanced ray tracing options. If the plans are built up for brochure presentations there will be full internal detailing - that may blow the processing time up if internal details will be seen through windows (using window blinds is a way to limit that... maybe).

Thanks for reminding me of Dell.... I haven't explored their web site for a solution, yet.

Still trying to configure an AMD FX 8xx solution for price comparison. Ther are a lot of older AMD motherboards that were built for Athlons and Phenoms, and with a BIOS upgrade can support the FX... yeah, right. The Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional motherboard seems to be the best choice for a roaring AMD FX 8 core system. Keeping motherboard manufacturers up to date is one reason AMD and Intel change the CPU "slot" every couple of years.

Cheers.