Hybrid View

Hi cdllc,

I haven't gone looking for the thermal specs on i7-3 series yet. It took a while to find the old Prescott specs.... which indicated a thermal throttling temp of 75C... which may still be the design temp at which the new processors cut themselves back. So, you may have oc'ed to it's design limit. Be careful of any long ray tracing jobs at the top end if the air cooling is maxed out.

Intels hype for the generation 3 i7 with HD 4000 integrated graphics sounds impressive. Only note I could find about OpenGL is that it supports OpenGL 2.1. ATI FireGL cards are supporting OpenGL 3 and above... so I suspect that there are some apps that will be beyond the Intel integrated graphics engine.

The ATI Radeon card in my old experimental box cooked itself a few weeks ago so I had to fall back to a very old Radeon 9250. I then found that Chief X4 will not color texture render in perspective camera views. The old card can only manage OpenGL 1.4. And that's where OpenGL caps in my HP netbook. Neither of them will color render in Chief X4; there is no problem in Chief X2.

The issue here is if business (not home office) level computers hit the market with i7 HD 4000 graphics, whether they would be a good base for Chief without adding a separate graphics card. At present the "gaming" computers are becoming way over the top in bit blit graphics, sound and price to be a cost effective business choice for a production office running Chief. (We found a new ASUS Business line of computers using i7's that are a third the price of the gaming boxes sold in this little part of the world.)

The graphics card should not affect raytracing (I would have thought)... but Intel seem to have sneeked in a floating point accelerator between their CPU and GPU in the i7 Gen 3 that may have some benefit (I dunno)

Thanks to all that have overclocked a Gen 2 i7 to around 4 GHz and achieved sub 60 second ray tracings. It seems that the "magic" number is around 4GHz for the Intel i7's.

AMD seem to be a long way behind... which I must confess is a disappointment. In 2007 AMD Athlons trounced Intel... Intel has bounced back to the top. (this Quarter).

Cheers.