lgswe is offline Registered User Promoted

Eyebrow dormer question

This may be "any type" of dormer question. I have a 20'x20' pavilion with a flared hip roof and a 14" overhang. The hipped roof is 8/12. The bottom 4' has a flared pitch of 5 5/8 pitch and a radius of -154". I'm trying to install a eyebrow dormer with a round top fixed window 36"Hx72W flush with the outer wall below. No matter where I set the dormer CA won't let me install it. I've tried making it only 1/4 the size and it still won't go. Does it have something to do with the dormer starting on the flared section and extending up onto the regular pitched area? If this isn't the case I'm lost. If it is the case, is there such a thing as a work around? Are there any good videos on the subject? It's one of those frustrating days (or maybe too much coffee). Before anyone ask the plan is too large to show. As always all advice is greatly appreciated.
    Larry Sweeney
    Designer/Builder/Restorations/Period Cabinetmaker since 1972

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Quote Originally Posted by lgswe View Post
    This may be "any type" of dormer question. I have a 20'x20' pavilion with a flared hip roof and a 14" overhang. The hipped roof is 8/12. The bottom 4' has a flared pitch of 5 5/8 pitch and a radius of -154". I'm trying to install a eyebrow dormer with a round top fixed window 36"Hx72W flush with the outer wall below. No matter where I set the dormer CA won't let me install it. I've tried making it only 1/4 the size and it still won't go. Does it have something to do with the dormer starting on the flared section and extending up onto the regular pitched area? If this isn't the case I'm lost. If it is the case, is there such a thing as a work around? Are there any good videos on the subject? It's one of those frustrating days (or maybe too much coffee). Before anyone ask the plan is too large to show. As always all advice is greatly appreciated.
    Larry, you must be kidding, do you really think somebody is going to be able to reproduce this plan to help you out? There are ways to post ANY plan or portion thereof, if it is too much trouble for you to post, it is too much trouble for me to figure out.............. but I am sure somebody will do it for you.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Scott -- Dropbox location for plan http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49042923/Ber...Hip%20Roof.zip. Here's the work in progress. Each side is different to show the client options in case you are wondering. I think the problem has to do with the "dormer box" falling outside the roof plane along with the dormer attaching on two different roof planes. Should be a way to over come the problem.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Larry, I have it figured out, I had to unblock your auto dormer and then I could move it to correct location, however the dormer was bigger than the roof I wanted to put it on so I had to slide the dormer down page 6" so it would fit on your roof....... I did not do a perfect job but I did find the problem..... will post 3 part video when done...... 7 minutes into 2nd video is when I figured out the issue.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Here is a link to the videos

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....624#post433624

thanks Larry, neat stuff you are doing..... I learned a bit from this....
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Thanks Scott for taking time. It seems every project I get is real unusual. I do many types of reproductions and they always have lots of molding details to match the earlier periods. I do a lot of head scratching and I try to tell my wife that's the reason I'm losing my hair. Ha! Have a great day.
    Larry Sweeney

Chief X5, AutoCad 2010
    Windows 7 Pro
    Asus P8P67 Pro
    Intel Core i7 2600k
    8 GB DDR# 1600mhz
    GTX 670

Scott,

I watched your video on the eyebrow dormer and it helped me with a standard eyebrow, but since you like challenges, do you think CA can model this kind of English eyebrow dormer correctly?
    I await your next video! :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EnglishEyebrow.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	59618
    -=JT=-

Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Do you want a sloped eyebrow dormer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sloped eyebrow.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	59619  
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

Yes, that is it. How did you do that?
    -=JT=-

JT, read the thread, don't just look at the last post.
    There is a link to a video above Bills teaser post.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook