Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home Design Concept to Reality Workflow

Hi -

I am a non-professional that has been visualising my ideal house for the past twenty years and actioning the design this year. I'm looking for the best tools and process in bring this to reality and am looking for some guidance.

1: I am fairly technical but have very limited CAD or architectural experience. I would prefer to use Home designer from a budget perspective and don't need to learn anything too detailed just for one house

2: I am based in Zambia so don't have access to good local talent to help me. I want to get something done over the next year as a concept then hand it to a professional to come up with the plans.

3: I am quite familiar with ray based render tools and would really like export my model in 3d (something I understand I can't do with home designer?) and come up with photo realistic renderings of my model - outside of the chief architect range of products. ie 3ds etc

So my question is:

Based upon the above statements => What tool and process would be ideal for me to create my concept to a reasonably detailed level, then hand such file(s) across to a professional to create the plans that could just be then just given to a builder?

firstly apologies if this is the wrong thread - I've been looking for the answers to the following for a couple of weeks, secondly if my question shows my relative knowledge and experience in the subject.

Shaun

Try:
    Home designer Pro $500 , Chief Architect 10 (professional series) 4 versions behind but still great ,there is one for $500. Try personalarch.com
    Last edited by kenoeightspot; 04-13-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Need to add more
    William Page Architects A.I.A.
    pagearch@whidbeyisland.com

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook
    Intel i7 CPU Q720@1.60 boost to 2.80 GHZ
    4.00 GB
    Graphics card 1GB Nvidia Geforce
    27" HDMI monitor

William/Shaun:

while PRO is decently capable especially for a one-time use it can't export to third-party software to create ray-traces.

it does have decent 3D render features (based on Chief X4) its not capable of doing raytraces

while Chief 10 was also decent it doesn't run well (maybe not at all) on Win7
    so Shaun needs to consider which PC platform he has and/or wants to use

I would recommend finding a valid license on EBAY for X2 as it is much more current

I would suggest avoiding X3 due to the complicated mess they made of the library system (fixed in X4)

the seller should be willing to assist in verifying with CA that the license can be transferred and upgraded
    be aware that the transfer fee can be substantial if the license is for a second seat etc

being current is a consideration for asking questions on this forum
    if the version is too old then there will be fewer users able to assist

another consideration is to get Chief X4 lite for $1900
    which I think has ray-tracing capabilty
    there is a comparison chart on CA's website

I have recommended a one-time user to consider buying Chief Premier
    even tho it costs $2600 as it could save the home-owner that much or many times more over designer/architect fees

if the user is willing to climb the learning curve
    which is there for HD PRO as well

at the end of the project it can be sold for approx 75-80% of the cost
    on EBAY or this forum etc

there is a decent re-sell market for used versions of Chief
    if they aren't too old

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by sicamore View Post
    So my question is:

Based upon the above statements => What tool and process would be ideal for me to create my concept to a reasonably detailed level, then hand such file(s) across to a professional to create the plans that could just be then just given to a builder?
    If you were to hire me to finish up the plans, I would start over and reproduce your plans using my organizational methods. I would guess most anybody you would hire would take this approach. I think it would somebody longer to figure out your methods than to use their own.

So choose software that you would feel most comfortable with in getting your design ideas across to whoever you choose to finish the plans.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    If you were to hire me to finish up the plans, I would start over and reproduce your plans using my organizational methods. I would guess most anybody you would hire would take this approach. I think it would somebody longer to figure out your methods than to use their own.

So choose software that you would feel most comfortable with in getting your design ideas across to whoever you choose to finish the plans.
    x2........
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Scott, agree with you, I have never been able to use anyone else's plan and finish it, the plan usually also has some kind of problem with it. Everyone has their own way of doing it.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

one of the services my partner and I offer is to "fix" the plans if needed

we charge by the hour

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

GregB is offline Registered User Promoted
    I think you might benefit from my learning experience looking for a similar product. Like you, I am working on a major remodel of my own house and/or possibly designing a new house. I work in construction and have been using CAD for almost 30 years. I was an AutoCAD dealer in the 1980s.

What are the building standards and what type of construction will you be using for your home? This may be very different than the standards in North America and it may be important that the software is adaptable to this construction. Are there building codes involved?

What computer and operating system are you using?

I think what you want is something that will let you play with your ideas and then see how it would look. I assume you also want to be able to make changes easily and try that out.

I can tell you that Home Designer lets you do that pretty well. IF you need more, they give you full credit on that toward Chief Architect. That is my original plan. Home Designer Pro seems exactly like Chief X4 with less functions available. I can open my HDP drawings directly in Chief. The professionals that said they would take your ideas and start over make sense, particularly if you have extensive requirements for codes, permits, etc. East Africa must have changed a lot recently if that is true.

I have tried Softplan 2012, playing with the demo for 50 hours or so. I can see where a residential builder might prefer that to Chief but the ability to move things around and play with different ideas seems more difficult than Chief.

Unless you have played with ideas on paper a bunch, you are likely in the early idea stage and even a lower end product from Chief like Home Designer Architectural (around $200) might get you started. Chances are you are going to start over several times anyway.

Do you need to print drawings? I am used to printing good sized drawings and only being able to print 18x24" with HDP is a problem for me.
    X5 Premier x64
    HP-Z400 W3565 24Gb 2xFireProV5900 NEC-PA301W-SV, HP-LP3065, HP-ZR24
    GTCO Rollup III, Ricoh W3600, HP Designjet 750C, Epson Pro 4000

Do you need to print drawings? I am used to printing good sized drawings and only being able to print 18x24" with HDP is a problem for me.

Greg:

just create the drawings at 1/8" scale for 18 x 24
    then enlarge 200% at the print shop for 1/4" scale on 36 x 48

or create 1/8" for 12 x 18 (prints nicely on a 13 x 19 printer)
    then enlarge 200% at the print shop for 1/4" scale on 24 x 36

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post

I have tried Softplan 2012, playing with the demo for 50 hours or so. I can see where a residential builder might prefer that to Chief but the ability to move things around and play with different ideas seems more difficult than Chief.

Interesting, this statement says volumes, thanks Greg. You are not specific in you reasons for stating this.... but if you have time to eleborate it would be nice to know..... thanks again for your input......
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Did you look at SketchUp Pro for $495. The free one has limited import/export capabilities:

• Exporting and Importing
    • Export 3D models: KMZ, DAE
    • Export 2D rasters: JPEG, TIFF, PNG
    • Import: DAE, KMZ, 3DS, DEM, DDF and image formats

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/p.../whygopro.html

(Edited)
    Ash Shaker
    Architect
    Ash Tree Architecture
    Elkridge, MD, USA
    CA X5

GregB is offline Registered User Promoted
    Lew,

I can print to a larger scale but I'm not gaining any detail. HDP won't let me select paper larger than 18x24" so I tried using Postscript scaling in the print driver to double the size. It is larger but small details are still hard to read. I tried output to Adobe Acrobat and scaling up with the same result. Perhaps, I'm missing something.

I'm looking for more detail and not just bigger since I'm working on a big drawing. 1/8" scale means I need D size. The Ricoh will print E size drawing in about 30 seconds so in that I am spoiled. Might as well use the equipment since I'm not making any money in this economy.

Scott,
    I want to take a day or two, look at the drawing in SoftPlan, and get you a complete answer.
    X5 Premier x64
    HP-Z400 W3565 24Gb 2xFireProV5900 NEC-PA301W-SV, HP-LP3065, HP-ZR24
    GTCO Rollup III, Ricoh W3600, HP Designjet 750C, Epson Pro 4000

The free one has no export capability

SU free has some export capability but for .SKP files only
    maybe .DXF or .DWG ???

chiefers use the free version to fix symbols etc

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew, this capability is in CA. to export for RayTrace, SKP files may be open in 3DS (I didn't verify that).
    Ash Shaker
    Architect
    Ash Tree Architecture
    Elkridge, MD, USA
    CA X5

Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    Scott,
    I want to take a day or two, look at the drawing in SoftPlan, and get you a complete answer.
    Looking forward to it, thank you.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX