Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

House with garage under 1st Floor

I am new to CA and wanted know if anyone knows how to set up the following. I am trying to create a house that will sit upon a hill. The house has a first floor and a basement that would contain the garage and other rooms. I am trying to make the garage downstairs however the garage and other rooms in the basement do not necessarily sit all under the 1st floor of the house. Parts of the garage/rooms would actually be under ground or under a deck. I keep seeing no ceiling to the garage and the terrain is going through the garage wall. When I started the house, I created the 1st floor, then added a basement. I then manipulated the basement so that it start to show the garage and the other rooms down there. See file attachment to see what I mean. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can correct this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	52300  

Welcome to the forum. Is your first house? How long have you been using the program? I'm only asking because some of the answers could be rough for someone not familar with the basics of the program. I'm sorry about the bad reply but would like to know a little about your knowledge of the program.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Just started with the program a few weeks ago and yes this is the first house I have built...

Start playing with building foundations with foundation walls and not monolithics. I assume your first floor is at 0". Start adjusting the floor and ceiling heights of the basements and keep the (1st floor) floor height at 0".

I don't due much basements (here in Houston) but just did one. Trial and error is a good teacher.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Something else that will help you is after you create your foundation (basement), do a backclip camera view so you can see the floor levels and then tile the views so that you can see the plan view and backclip view at the same time. You will now see the visible changes when you make them. This will help you tremendously.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I would make the basement the first floor so you can generate a foundation plan below that.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I would make the basement the first floor so you can generate a foundation plan below that.
    We do full foundations on almost everything that we design here in Canada. I don't have a problem leaving the first floor as first floor and the basement as such. I wouldn't switch it now as a rookie. That is how I design and it's not an issue. In the future there may be some benefit to doing it this way possibly, but for now, I suggest leaving it. It works.

It may be beneficial for you to post the plan for people to look at to help you figure out your concerns. Easiest way is to search posting plan on the forums. There is lots of help if you are unfamiliar with this step. Welcome to the forum..
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca

I agree with Perry, I disagree with Charlie, (but it works for Charlie so he should not change it). Perry and I come from areas that typically utilize monolithic slabs, and that is the main reason why Perry suggests making the basement the first floor. So if you use mono slabs, I would suggest the basement be the first floor.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Another comment on this..... there is nothing magic about the LEVEL 0, especially if you do not use auto foundations which I do not use. So the fact that you have the basement on level zero is not a big deal in that you can still use that as your foundation if you so choose. The idea of having a level zero (even though you may not send it to layout) simply gives you more flexibility if you may need it.

I did a few vids on how unimportant LEVEL 0 is by putting the foundation on LEVEL 3. This demonstrated the inherent flexibility that CA has build into the program. However I must admit that vast majority of the users probably do use LEVEL 0 as the basement level.

Disclaimer: Perry is not much smarter than I, so be careful when you listen to his suggestions.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Yeah, I'm with Perry - I seem to have better luck with mono slabs when they're in a foundo plan below the lowest defined room.
    Matt Kennedy
    Win7, v2 beta thru x6

Yes I'm definitely not a trainer in any way, and never want to be.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Yes I'm definitely not a trainer in any way, and never want to be.
    Smart decision, you will make much more money if you stay out of the training business and draw plans..... I think I might take that approach this year. Thanks P.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

If someone puts the basement on level 0, than where do you put the foundation plan, or do you show it on the basement plan, could be confusing for the builders.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

If someone puts the basement on level 0, than where do you put the foundation plan, or do you show it on the basement plan, could be confusing for the builders.
    Hey P. stop trying to train us, you will make much more money drawing.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

if there is no basement development shown at time of the prints, it's pretty clear, not too confusing. When there is development, I just use annotation sets and show a separate page, one, foundation, two basement development.
    Charlie Heyn
    X1 THRU X5
    www.i4homedesign.ca