Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
    In some of the less populated areas in the west building codes are a relatively new thing. Here in Idaho I always get a kick out of the sign when entering Kootenai county that say's "Building Permits Required".
    Here in the great state of California, I am now having to do plans for a pigeon coop, seriously, a pigeon coop on concrete blocks. The owner built the pigeon coop (approx. 200 sf) on blocks..... now he wants to add on to his house, so that bootlegged pigeon coop must be permitted prior to obtaining permits for his room addition.

He has 3 pigeon coops on his property, he pulled permits for 2 of the 3, he wants to keep the unpermitted one and raze one of the permitted coops.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

**** that goggle earth, the first thing the cities do now is check out the site and if they see anything, your s c r e w e d. That's a first, Chicken coop, were there fire sprinklers required and handicapped toilets. Of course, no roosters, because of the noise ord. How do you get a chicken to use the toilet? It is toxic waste.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

My county (Idaho County) does not require building permits. Most of my design work is in counties that do. Our county goes from MT to OR ... quite large (8,502 sq. mi.) and a good chunk of it is forested and wilderness .... but only16,000+ residents (a whooping 1.9 people per sq. mi.).
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    **** that goggle earth, the first thing the cities do now is check out the site and if they see anything, your s c r e w e d. That's a first, Chicken coop, were there fire sprinklers required and handicapped toilets. Of course, no roosters, because of the noise ord. How do you get a chicken to use the toilet? It is toxic waste.
    We asked if they checked google earth (city of Chula Vista), and they said no, one of the few jurisdictions that do not check. So then we asked, so what happens if we do not show pigeons coops on plans, his response.... when the inspector goes out and see the coops and they are not on plans, he will shut down the job until the matter is resolved. I say, face the music up front and deal with it.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Johnson View Post
    My county (Idaho County) does not require building permits. Most of my design work is in counties that do. Our county goes from MT to OR ... quite large (8,502 sq. mi.) and a good chunk of it is forested and wilderness .... but only16,000+ residents (a whooping 1.9 people per sq. mi.).
    Curtis, I am now thinking of moving to Idaho.............. errrr, maybe not............
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Until the statewide code came about in Maine last year, Freeport was using BOCA 1984. I was 8 years from starting architecture school at that point. The only place on earth to find a copy of BOCA '84 was the Freeport Public Library and it was guarded fastidiously.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

I'll bet that in most of the country, if you view it in terms of square miles instead of population density, permits are nominal, and inspections don't take place.

But since 8/10 of us are living in large metro areas, we don't understand that.
    Gene Davis
    SSA: X5 Premium, X4 Premium, X3, X2 (12.5.1.9), 10.08.b
    Intel i7 quad-core 64-bit HM65 express, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX560M - 3 GB GDDRS - SDRAM
    Google Sketchup 8.0
    DropBox cloud storage

Quote Originally Posted by perryh View Post
    I am about to have a lunch meeting to discuss the finer points of Pigeon Coop design. Yes folks, I have had 37 years of design experience, 7 years of college (but no degree) to discuss Pigeon Coop Designs so the City of Chula Vista can sign off on this.

By the way, when you guys do a pigeon coop, do you like each individual pigeon coop to be 8"wx8"hx16" deep or larger....... and is that a clear dimension or is that center of partition to center of partition. What size ventilation fan would you recommend, do you think Title:24 is required? Do we need thermal mass or should I simply plan on R-11 insulation at the exterior walls. Do you think the pigeons would appreciate R-15 insulation instead of R-11 insulation? I have had some meetings with some pigeons and generally they eschew the added insulation. You must understand that most of the pigeons I know live here in Southern California and most of them live outside and they do not care about insulation. Do you think I should heat these pigeons coops? Should I use a heat pump or an fau with an a/c condenser on the exterior.

I must admit that with all of my years of experience, I have not learned how to design a pigeon coop. If you know anybody that has had any experience in pigeon coop design, please let me know.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    If you know anybody that has had any experience in pigeon coop design, please let me know.
    Scott,

Google "pigeon coop plans". There's a lot of stuff out there
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

I've heard Pigeons prefer a bed of rice.
    Kevin Moquin, AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Portland Maine
    Chief X
    Asus G74SX i7 2630QM @ 2.0 GHz, 12GB, GeoForce GTX560M 3GB, Windows 7
    kma | kevin moquin architect
    kma on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Carrick View Post
    Scott,

Google "pigeon coop plans". There's a lot of stuff out there
    You know what Joe? I did google it and you are right, there is a lot of info on pigeon coop design on the web. There was one site selling pigeon coop plans for 3.95 and another site selling them for 395.00..... I wonder which one is better. Anyway, I quoted my guy 400.00 for the pigeon coop plans, do you think that is a bit high? I told him that I bill by the hour and I thought it might take four hours to do, you know, I have to provide a site plan, roof framing plan, floor framing plan (I might lie and put it on a slab), and then of course I need the cross sections and details..... you know, the a-35 @ 24 and the anchor bolt holdowns...... nuts, this thing is already built, do you think I will need special inspection for the anchor bolts, what about holdowns? I am so nervous, I am about to go into my pigeon coop meeting.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

I am so nervous, I am about to go into my pigeon coop meeting.
    Just remember that we have a meeting at RBI tomorrow. I'll be there about 1:30.

BTW, how did we wind up talking about Pigeon Coops on a thread titled State of Montana?
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1

Just remember that we have a meeting at RBI tomorrow. I'll be there about 1:30.

BTW, how did we wind up talking about Pigeon Coops on a thread titled State of Montana?
    Yep, I will be at the meeting, and I don't know why we are talking about pigeon coops.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Yep, I will be at the meeting.
    Good. I'm bringing some Geodesic objects and various tools to see what kind of shaping I can do. Hopefully I'll be able to adjust things as needed.
    Windows 8.1

Good. I'm bringing some Geodesic objects and various tools to see what kind of shaping I can do. Hopefully I'll be able to adjust things as needed.
    LOL, Joe, stop having fun, this is a very serious forum and you are not allowed to be frivolous with other people's time. We are professionals and we should behave that way......... btw, how may Geodesic objects are you bringing, I am bringing 18, my lucky number.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX