Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

State of Montana

Is there anyone out there that does plans in the state of Montana, I have a client that is living in my area and when retiring moving to Montana by his family, I am getting mixed statements about building codes and some say there are none, Bozeman goes by the 2006 IRC codes but from there I am lose, the house is going to be built in Summer Ridge Subdivision of Gallatin County, if someone on Chieftalk is from that area or knows what codes the state of Montana goes by would be very much appreciated.
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Well according to the state web site, the areas outside of the Certified places (such as Bozeman) are under the state codes which are IRC 2006.

Andy.
    CA X-V, Sketchup 8 PRO,
    Auto-something '11
    Revit'11
    Windows 7, AMD Phenom 8 core, 12 Gigs. Ram. (Works well together).
    Andre' G. Tardif
    andytardif@gmail.com
    www.draftinginoc.com

Andy thanks I did check there and also called the state building office, they gave me a place to get ground snow loads and he did say they go by the 2006 IBC codes and even with the snow load information he gave me he said unless you are in a particular city limits that has codes they are not inspected or checked on, he said I could even draw them on a napkin and then build the house and there would be no inspections, haven't done that in a long time LOL
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Rood View Post
    he said unless you are in a particular city limits that has codes they are not inspected or checked on
    That just means that you should be extra careful to comply. Bldg Depts are never actually responsible but at least when there's a Plan Check and Inspections you have a double check (of sorts) on your work. The bottom line is that you as the designer are responsible for your work. If you don't follow the codes and something happens then you undoubtedly better have E&O insurance which you probably can't get unless you have a license.
    Joseph P. Carrick, Architect - AIA
    ASUS M51AC Desktop, core i7-4770 CPU @3.4 GHZ, 16 GB Ram, NVidea GT640 with60M with 3GB GM, 30" HiRes (2560/1600) Monitor , (2) 24" ASUS Monitors
    Windows 8.1
    Chief Architect 9, 10, X1, X3, X4 Premium, X5 Premium, X6 Premium

Joseph I agree with you totally seems like Montana is one of the few states that don't go by the ICC codes and does inspect them, so be very careful is for sure, the county wants 11x17 prints and from what I read needs a professional stamp from Montana
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Last time I did a home in Montana, I used "Eclipse Engineering, Missoula, Montanna 59802,1-406-721-5733 http://www.eclipse-engineering.com ". They did a great job for me and my client.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

David thanks for the info I will keep it for when doing these plans.
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Here in Montana it's pretty much up to each individual county. If they don't have a building department then the state will permit and inspect the plumbing and electrical but nothing for the building. The unincorporated areas are under the 2006 IBC there’s just no one to enforce or inspect them. Get a hold of Gallatin County's building department I'm sure they have a "full service" department. As for the napkin sketch approach they still are acceptable is some areas. It's just hard to do a decent 3d walk through and the material list doesn't update automatically. (The ridge caps aren't too good either).
    Clay
    X-5 on Windows 7

Peter Brown does work in the Bozeman and surrounding areas. I met Peter at the Users' Group meeting in Coeur d'Alene in 2009. Very nice fellow. He might be willing to answer your questions. Here's his contact page from his website:

http://www.peterqbrown.com/contact.php
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Thanks Curtis will contact him
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Wow, in my almost 40 years of drawing, I have always needed a plan check and engineering for almost every project. I am living in the wrong city. Now I have to detail every nail. Pain and suffering.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

Perry lock at the quality of design and house your are giving your customers, after 40 years in the business also going from design/build to just design and seeing what the ICC codes have done for the safety of my state and for the safety of the residence it was worth the change, I see it from different sides due to the fact that I am also the fire chief where I live, I was hoping for sprinkler systems but they kicked that out of the codes thanks to the NABA.
    Ray
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

You are absolutely right, a better project and safe for that big earthquake coming Dec 21 2012.
    Perry
    P.H. DESIGNS L.L.C.
    Eastvale Calif.
    Alienware, liquid cooled
    Ver 10-"X6 x64 SSA
    WIN 8.1 PRO 64 bit
    Nvidia GTX780 3GB.
    i7 920 2.67-- 12 GB Ram
    40" led monitor

In some of the less populated areas in the west building codes are a relatively new thing. Here in Idaho I always get a kick out of the sign when entering Kootenai county that say's "Building Permits Required".
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

I did one there a year or so ago, and the owner kept telling me that I didn't have to put all the details into it that I normally do....he just wanted floor plan, dimensions, elevations and said there wasn't a plan review, but just wanted the plans for layout for concrete framing, etc...

I was having some major withdrawals when putting that together...never heard back so I guess all is well . ? .

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook