Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    toby is offline Registered User Promoted

Is there a way to ....unlink a layout file's link ?

I have a number of linked plan files that are no longer relevant to my new layout.

Is there a way to unlink them ( short of deleting )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I have a number of linked plan files that are no longer relevant to my new layout.

Thanks
    Interesting question. How about this. Open a new plan, save as junk and now link the layout to that blank plan. Hmmm..... not sure what happens..... now delete that junk plan........ I would assume you still have windows linked to layout.... not in office yet so I can't check it out.
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Not at my computer to check this out....but how about making a template file from your new layout file deleting everything you don't want including the file links. Then start a new layout from the template. Or you could use D. Scott's SAM (Save As Method) which may be even better. He has provided free videos on this at www.chieftutor.com. I have written an article on SAM, which with his permission, will be posting it on my website as a free tip.
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA 98032
    Author of "Learning Chief Architect Step By Step"
    "Learning Chief Architect X4 Step By Step"
    "Become an Expert Using CAX4"
    "Automatic and Manual Creation of Roofs Using CA"
    "Residential Design Using CAX5"
    terrymunson2@msn.com
    http://chiefapprentice.com

CA vX5

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post

Thanks
    To unlink the plans to the layout, open the layout and select any viewports that are linked to the plan you don't want linked and delete those viewports from the layout. To check to see if the plan/s are still linked to the layout, with the layout open, goto the top toolbar and select TOOLS>LAYOUT>LAYOUT FILES and see if they're still linked to the layout. If they are, then there is still a viewport that needs deleting.

You can also go to the same place and try relinking the plan you want if you have a plan that has been renamed from the original. It can get a little confusing sometimes. I would need to see the folder with the plan files and layout file to help more.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Quote Originally Posted by tmunson View Post
    Not at my computer to check this out....but how about making a template file from your new layout file deleting everything you don't want including the file links. Then start a new layout from the template. Or you could use D. Scott's SAM (Save As Method) which may be even better. He has provided free videos on this at www.chieftutor.com. I have written an article on SAM, which with his permission, will be posting it on my website as a free tip.
    Terry, you have my permission.

But don't try to do what I suggested doing in prior post..... it don't work. I will post a video on this, but to cut to the chase, once I did this I got an alert message from CA that did not allow me to check DO NOT SHOW MESSAGE AGAIN, and the only way out of the continuous loop was to abort the program...... so no solution from me.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    To unlink the plans to the layout, open the layout and select any viewports that are linked to the plan you don't want linked and delete those viewports from the layout...............
    He wanted an alternative method, see original post.
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    He wanted an alternative method, see original post.
    I look at it as either a plan is "linked" or not.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Terry, you have my permission.

But don't try to do what I suggested doing in prior post..... it don't work. I will post a video on this, but to cut to the chase, once I did this I got an alert message from CA that did not allow me to check DO NOT SHOW MESSAGE AGAIN, and the only way out of the continuous loop was to abort the program...... so no solution from me.
    Thanks Scott!
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA 98032
    terrymunson2@msn.com

CA vX5

Here is a link to the video if interested.....

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....214#post429214
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The only way a layout file gets linked to a plan file is by sending a view from the plan to a layout box. The best and easiest way to remove this link, is to just delete the layout box. If you delete all of your layout boxes on every layout page, your layout should not be linked to any plans.

Trying to get rid of the link without removing the layout box might give you problems. If you were to delete or move the original plan file, the program will still think the layout is linked to the plan and it will go looking for it. It may even find it if you moved it, or it may find a different plan (with the same name) and link to that instead.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Interesting question. How about this. Open a new plan, save as junk and now link the layout to that blank plan. Hmmm..... not sure what happens..... now delete that junk plan........ I would assume you still have windows linked to layout.... not in office yet so I can't check it out.
    Yes. If you have a plan linked to the layout and you delete that plan, it's still linked but you'll get an error when you open the layout saying it can not find a plan file associated to the layout. This means that the viewport (layout box) will be seen in the layout with nothing in it. You have to delete it in the layout to unlink it and so that you won't get that error. This also applies to anything that has been imported to the layout such as images.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

toby is offline Registered User Promoted

Thanks ...

Thanks to Tommy, Dermot et al

Yes. If you have a plan linked to the layout and you delete that plan, it's still linked but you'll get an error when you open the layout saying it can not find a plan file associated to the layout. This means that the viewport (layout box) will be seen in the layout with nothing in it. You have to delete it in the layout to unlink it and so that you won't get that error. This also applies to anything that has been imported to the layout such as images.
    You are correct. You cannot unlink a file once it is linked to layout. However, you can associate the link to a new layout by using Scott's SAM procedure. That way the file is unique for the new layout. If you do not want any files from previous layouts associated with a new layout, it is probably best to start with a template that does not contain any links. It takes a considerable amount of time to develop your layout construction docs the way you want and so you will probably want to use the save all facility, or make a template of it, to use it for new plans. Just realize that the links go with it. Scott's SAM procedure really impressed me because it is a great way to keep everything organized and can really save you time. Time is money. When you link a plan file to a layout file you want to be sure that they are both located in the same folder as well as any other files that are linked to the layout. Just makes it a lot easier to stay organized. This concept of links is fairly important to understand, especially for new users. If you start using the SAM (Save All Method) be sure you have a good grasp on the concept or you could run into trouble, especially when you upgrade to new versions of the software. Otherwise, you will keep getting the error message that Tommy talks about.
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA 98032
    terrymunson2@msn.com

CA vX5

Quote Originally Posted by tmunson View Post
    You cannot unlink a file once it is linked to layout.
    Not true. Dermot and me already said how to unlink a plan from a layout.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Not true. Dermot and me already said how to unlink a plan from a layout.
    Until you use the layout for a new plan. The links are still there and you will get an error message if the source of the link has been deleted.
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA 98032
    terrymunson2@msn.com

CA vX5