Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dshall View Post
    Interesting question. How about this. Open a new plan, save as junk and now link the layout to that blank plan. Hmmm..... not sure what happens..... now delete that junk plan........ I would assume you still have windows linked to layout.... not in office yet so I can't check it out.
    Yes. If you have a plan linked to the layout and you delete that plan, it's still linked but you'll get an error when you open the layout saying it can not find a plan file associated to the layout. This means that the viewport (layout box) will be seen in the layout with nothing in it. You have to delete it in the layout to unlink it and so that you won't get that error. This also applies to anything that has been imported to the layout such as images.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

toby is offline Registered User Promoted

Thanks ...

Thanks to Tommy, Dermot et al

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blair View Post
    Yes. If you have a plan linked to the layout and you delete that plan, it's still linked but you'll get an error when you open the layout saying it can not find a plan file associated to the layout. This means that the viewport (layout box) will be seen in the layout with nothing in it. You have to delete it in the layout to unlink it and so that you won't get that error. This also applies to anything that has been imported to the layout such as images.
    You are correct. You cannot unlink a file once it is linked to layout. However, you can associate the link to a new layout by using Scott's SAM procedure. That way the file is unique for the new layout. If you do not want any files from previous layouts associated with a new layout, it is probably best to start with a template that does not contain any links. It takes a considerable amount of time to develop your layout construction docs the way you want and so you will probably want to use the save all facility, or make a template of it, to use it for new plans. Just realize that the links go with it. Scott's SAM procedure really impressed me because it is a great way to keep everything organized and can really save you time. Time is money. When you link a plan file to a layout file you want to be sure that they are both located in the same folder as well as any other files that are linked to the layout. Just makes it a lot easier to stay organized. This concept of links is fairly important to understand, especially for new users. If you start using the SAM (Save All Method) be sure you have a good grasp on the concept or you could run into trouble, especially when you upgrade to new versions of the software. Otherwise, you will keep getting the error message that Tommy talks about.
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA 98032
    Author of "Learning Chief Architect Step By Step"
    "Learning Chief Architect X4 Step By Step"
    "Become an Expert Using CAX4"
    "Automatic and Manual Creation of Roofs Using CA"
    "Residential Design Using CAX5"
    terrymunson2@msn.com
    http://chiefapprentice.com

CA vX5

Quote Originally Posted by tmunson View Post
    You cannot unlink a file once it is linked to layout.
    Not true. Dermot and me already said how to unlink a plan from a layout.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Not true. Dermot and me already said how to unlink a plan from a layout.
    Until you use the layout for a new plan. The links are still there and you will get an error message if the source of the link has been deleted.
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA 98032
    terrymunson2@msn.com

CA vX5

Quote Originally Posted by tmunson View Post
    Until you use the layout for a new plan. The links are still there and you will get an error message if the source of the link has been deleted.
    Terry, it sounds like you're talking about a template layout. I have many template layouts for many builders and then again with different paper sizes. It sounds like you need to learn how to make templates.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Terry, it sounds like you're talking about a template layout. I have many template layouts for many builders and then again with different paper sizes. It sounds like you need to learn how to make templates.
    Sorry, Tommy for the misunderstanding. With templates you can set them up anyway you want. I realize that and believe me, I know how to make templates. In fact, you just gave me a good idea for my next tip article, which will be on making templates. Look for it on my web site's CAD Corner. Any tips from you on making templates, as it appears you have plenty of experience, would be greatly appreaciated. I was referring to using the Save All function, which is featured as a tip I have already posted at CAD Corner. The tip is based on the SAM principle, developed by Scott Hall.
    Terry Munson
    Munson Drafting Service
    Kent, WA 98032
    terrymunson2@msn.com

CA vX5