Double wall staggered studs

I would like to do a double wall, staggered stud wall detail. I gave up on the staggered stud idea, but I can not get the framing to show up on the second interior wall. Is this unique to me or does chief just not do that?

Andrew
    Chief x3

Andrew:

It works for me. Do you have your two walls both Double Wall > Frame Through? Are they butted up against each other?
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Here's a couple of images - plan and 3D framing of what I get:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBLWallPlan.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	51624 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBLWallFrmg.jpg 
Views:	4540 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	51625

I would probably try to edit the wall layout in my example if I were doing this as "Advanced Framing" for energy performance as there are many places where the studs in both walls are in alignment and thus a bit of a thermal energy leak at those locations (unless stopped by a layer of insulation somewhere).
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

That is what i want to accomplish, but it does not do it. Is that a X4 option? I do have the Frame through option checked. I have gone through just about every spec. that I could check and still can not get it to frame the interior wall. It will do it if I change interior to the main wall, but then the outside wall does not frame. errr. At least I know it is possible. Any other ideas would be helpful. I would love to tackle this and I can not find much help in past posts.
    Last edited by awenger; 02-28-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: more info

I don't remember if X3 was different than X4?
    Curt Johnson

X5

I can pull up a stock wall detail and with block on the main layer and 1 1/2" studs on in the interior wall and it does not show the studs either. Thought maybe I was making the wall wrong... It does not say anything about it in the upgrade notes.

thanks for your help.

andrew

Andrew:

It can be done in X3 as well. The attached was done with X3. I used the siding-4 exterior wall type with GWB removed; for the interior wall I used the interior-4 with the outer GWB removed. Butt them up tight; make sure both the exterior and interior wall types are double walls > frame through. Build the wall framing. Since Chief doesn't give us the option to have the walls built with the studs auto staggered, you have to do this manually (fer as I know anyway ... that should be a feature suggested if it hasn't).

The front wall in my image was edited ... for the outer wall I just moved all the inboard studs over 12". All the studs for both wall types are on 24" centers. The other three walls look like they were built with 2x8 studs ... that isn't the case, the 2x4 studs are just back to back ... therefore editing is needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DBLWall24.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	51629
    Curt Johnson

X5

I assume, if I understood you correctly, that you had to build two walls. I was hoping to be able to make it into a one wall detail? Can you do a one wall detail with X4?

Thanks,
    andrew

Quote Originally Posted by awenger View Post
    I assume, if I understood you correctly, that you had to build two walls. I was hoping to be able to make it into a one wall detail? Can you do a one wall detail with X4?

Thanks,
    andrew
    Video in 20 minutes courtesy of the Curtis Johnson Method, nice job Curtis!
    D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall

D. Scott Hall (The Bridge Troll)
    San Diego, Ca.
    Chief X-5 w/ Win 7
    Asus P6T X58 ATX Core i7
    Intel Core i7 920
    6GB (3X2) DDR3 1600
    NVIDIA GeForce 580 GTX

The videos we watch are not 100% gold, but if we find a gold nugget, the time spent viewing has a value.

We can please some of the people some of the time, but we can't please all the people all of the time..... but I will keep trying.

If you are interested in keeping abreast of any new videos, please subscribe to my channel at YOUTUBE...... channel is ds hall